There are 202 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
A-.

The first int was very costly. But he showed qualities that I've been waiting to see forever.

-9fA

You mean he looked like a mediocre QB? Mediocre QBs have good or even great games once in a while. Look it up. Great QBs have bad games once in a while. It is all about consistency. Talk to me in six weeks. I will say that he has done enough to make me stop calling for his head in the next week or two. Maybe the first time ever. So that is different. He has to prove something to himself and his teammates. I think last night's game made believers out of some of his teammates. If he does not build on this, then it is just another loss.

Alex is flashing a pocket presence and a command that seems a little beyond what we have seen before. How about letting him play a few more games this season (behind a line that just might jell into a pretty good one) before the final verdict is delivered. He has improved every year when he has had extended playing time. Maybe, just maybe, his ceiling is a little higher yet. He is the QB for the near future, so I for one will root that this is the case.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I gave him a B. That poorly thrown ball to Gore was quite costly and inexcusable. That is the second week in a row where he was way off target on a very short route. It seems obvious at this point in his career that he struggles with the short throws, and hopefully he can get that problem fixed.

Both INTs' were tipped by Defenders.

Therefore I gave him an A since NOTHING rattled him. He had guys in his Backfield a couple of times and he either stepped up and delivered or he got yards on his feet,threw the ball away or found the checkdown. All things that he was severely criticized for not doing.

~Ceadder

this times infinity!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by boast:
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Its the QBs job to find the proper passing lanes.
Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

Alexcuses, Alexcuses is all here for this loser of a QB we have.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Ever ask yourself how come stuff like this always happens to Alex.

Isn't it funny how Brees got his passes batted down too? One of them AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE? Susweel bro, I've figured it out. You and the other Anti Smith establishment types just have to have something to Bish about or your heads implode.

If Smith throws a 200 yard game, then it's the man sucks, he can't throw for 300 yards. Nevermind that Receivers have a hand in Yardage.

If Smith doesn't throw more than 1 TD then it's the man sucks cause Frank had to run the ball in for him.

If he runs to get away from the sack, it's the man sucks cause he can't stay in the Pocket. If he does stand in the pocket then vice versa. If he throws 80% of his Passes on target then it's he sucks he can't throw 90% of them on target. And so on and so forth and

Is it any wonder people get banned around this place? You guys want absolute perfection. That is NEVER going to happen. Not for ANY QB in the League.

There is a reason Joe is the ONLY QB to have never thrown an Interception in the Super Bowl. That's cause throwing them is pretty commonplace. Even when Favre wins he's not perfect. Hell the man still wins and is a virtual turnover machine.

Do I hate that Smith threw 2 Interceptions? You bet your ass I do.

But I'm not going to give a rat's furry ass what the other QBs' in the league do. Why? Cause they aren't playing with our guys. They aren't playing with our Coaches sending in the plays from the sidelines and they damn sure aren't playing against our Opponents.

That doesn't mean I don't watch and see what the other guys do. That just means I don't hold our guys in comparison to Players in different situations.

That's like expecting your C student to hold his own against some 12 year old wunderkind who has 3 advanced degrees to his name.

Not that our guys are C students. Just saying that you have to have some perspective about this or you'll just drive us all nuts to the point where we hate to converse with you.

Was Smith Super Bowl material last night? No.

But he was good enough to beat Brees and the Saints. He looked better too. That's all we can ask. That he plays the game better than the other guy. Only reason they won is cause they had the ball last.

Which brings me right back to wondering why we didn't Onsides after we tied it up. We're playing to win not to Tie. ST on both sides of the ball were not very good Bush was out of the game at that point and our coverage unit actually played damn well. Forgive my intensity, but that was the PERFECT time to call the Onsides and shock the world. If we didn't get the ball back nothing changed. They win by 3. If we got the ball back on their 40, we had a damned good chance to score again and end it before the gun. If we didn't we're tied and no worse off than before the Onsides.

Sorry, I guess that makes too much sense and therefore the reason why we didn't call it.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
A-.

The first int was very costly. But he showed qualities that I've been waiting to see forever.

-9fA

You mean he looked like a mediocre QB? Mediocre QBs have good or even great games once in a while. Look it up. Great QBs have bad games once in a while. It is all about consistency. Talk to me in six weeks. I will say that he has done enough to make me stop calling for his head in the next week or two. Maybe the first time ever. So that is different. He has to prove something to himself and his teammates. I think last night's game made believers out of some of his teammates. If he does not build on this, then it is just another loss.

Alex is flashing a pocket presence and a command that seems a little beyond what we have seen before. How about letting him play a few more games this season (behind a line that just might jell into a pretty good one) before the final verdict is delivered. He has improved every year when he has had extended playing time. Maybe, just maybe, his ceiling is a little higher yet. He is the QB for the near future, so I for one will root that this is the case.

That is why I said talk to me in six weeks. Smith earned the right to play half the season last night, in my useless opinion.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
C

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.

Not entirely. It is the OL's job to create passing lanes in which to pass just as it is their job to create running lanes for the runner.

Unlike a runner who can bounce an inside run to the outside if the opening is there, the QB has much less room to shift while standing in the pocket.

Yes true but it is the QB's responsibility to make sure he put enough arch on the ball so a jumping linebacker can not touch it.
Go look at the film. Dunbar SKIED to reach that pass. Crabtree was even jumping up in anticipation. You can't arch a ball on a short timing play like that.

At some point you just have to give the defense credit for disguising the coverage very well and making a big-time play. Staley was doing his best to stay engaged but Dunbar made a great play.

We can blame Smith for the first pick on a bad throw, but the second one was just good defense.

I dont care what the blocking scheme was, its the QB's responsibility to make sure that ball does not get hit like that.

Isn't it funny how Brees got his passes batted down too? One of them AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE? Susweel bro, I've figured it out. You and the other Anti Smith establishment types just have to have something to Bish about or your heads implode.

If Smith throws a 200 yard game, then it's the man sucks, he can't throw for 300 yards. Nevermind that Receivers have a hand in Yardage.

If Smith doesn't throw more than 1 TD then it's the man sucks cause Frank had to run the ball in for him.

If he runs to get away from the sack, it's the man sucks cause he can't stay in the Pocket. If he does stand in the pocket then vice versa. If he throws 80% of his Passes on target then it's he sucks he can't throw 90% of them on target. And so on and so forth and

Is it any wonder people get banned around this place? You guys want absolute perfection. That is NEVER going to happen. Not for ANY QB in the League.

There is a reason Joe is the ONLY QB to have never thrown an Interception in the Super Bowl. That's cause throwing them is pretty commonplace. Even when Favre wins he's not perfect. Hell the man still wins and is a virtual turnover machine.

But I'm not going to give a rat's furry ass what the other QBs' in the league do. Why? Cause they aren't playing with our guys. They aren't playing with our Coaches sending in the plays from the sidelines and they damn sure aren't playing against our Opponents.

That doesn't mean I don't watch and see what the other guys do. That just means I don't hold our guys in comparison to Players in different situations.

That's like expecting your C student to hold his own against some 12 year old wunderkind who has 3 advanced degrees to his name.

Not that our guys are C students. Just saying that you have to have some perspective about this or you'll just drive us all nuts to the point where we hate to converse with you.

But he was good enough to beat Brees and the Saints. He looked better too. That's all we can ask. That he plays the game better than the other guy. Only reason they won is cause they had the ball last.

Which brings me right back to wondering why we didn't Onsides after we tied it up. We're playing to win not to Tie. ST on both sides of the ball were not very good Bush was out of the game at that point and our coverage unit actually played damn well. Forgive my intensity, but that was the PERFECT time to call the Onsides and shock the world. If we didn't get the ball back nothing changed. They win by 3. If we got the ball back on their 40, we had a damned good chance to score again and end it before the gun. If we didn't we're tied and no worse off than before the Onsides.

Sorry, I guess that makes too much sense and therefore the reason why we didn't call it.

~Ceadder

Some of you guys are so used to watching crappy QB play, that when someone plays mediocre you guys start giving As like its welfare checks on the first of the month.

275 yards, 1 td, 2 ints and a loss

Sorry Ceadder to me thats a C performance.
C

the first one, yes.

~Ceadder

Some of you guys are so used to watching crappy QB play, that when someone plays mediocre you guys start giving As like its welfare checks on the first of the month.

he led us to all the scoring srives though which was 3 and steve young jaws gruden peter king all saif he played great football
C

the first one, yes.

~Ceadder

If we had won would you of given Brees a C as well for losing? Did Manning get a C in game 1 for losing? Did you give Cassel an A for winning in game 1?
C

the first one, yes.

~Ceadder

You had me until the onsides kick. No coach in the NFL would risk an osides kick at that point in the game, under the same circumstances. You put the other team on a 40 yard field with 2 time outs.. Not a good idea, especially against a team like the Saints. They would only need one 1st down to be in FG position.
I was going to grade him a B or B- because of the two int's, I know a least one wasn't his fault, but after further analysis I gave him a solid A...

you see we were losing the game by 8 points against the super bowl champs with 2:00 minutes left on the clock and no time outs... that's as good a chance you will ever get to see what you got from your young QB, and guess what? he was so efficient that maybe he was too efficient :), he showed me something yesterday, he played a hell o a game...

good to ses that from alex...

go nienrs
I've now done a psychological 180 in the course of 24 hours, having gone from pride over a hard fought prime time game against the world champs to disgust with getting behind the 8 ball yet again with an 0-2 start. The Saints D sucks. Where was that dominant run against Seattle. Show me. Get a lead, keep it, close it out. Quit turning over the damn ball. Enough moral victories already.

Originally posted by BSofSF:
I've now done a psychological 180 in the course of 24 hours, having gone from pride over a hard fought prime time game against the world champs to disgust with getting behind the 8 ball yet again with an 0-2 start. The Saints D sucks. Where was that dominant run against Seattle. Show me. Get a lead, keep it, close it out. Quit turning over the damn ball. Enough moral victories already.

the reason why we werent able to move the ball against seattle is that we couldnt get plays in on time we only lined up with like 5 sec to go in the saints we lined up with 15 sec left on play clock allowing us to make adjustments

that was the difference
our offense racked up 400 plus yards against the saints,somebody gets an A.I guess Alex gets an A- from me because Im starting to get realy excited about our season.
Originally posted by danimal:
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick, Ryan, Romo and YES...Shaun Hill
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances

You are saying they those QB's didnt play well? Yea I will give most of those guys an A. Keep in mind we are going off of the seahawks game and comparing that Alex Smith to this games Alex Smith.
Originally posted by cNiner:
D , we will see how all of you hang on his nuts when we play KC and plays like he played like seattle game and the D won't bail his ass out !

So you're hoping the Niners will lose. You're gonna be satisfied with yourself, and say "I told you so" if the Chiefs beat us and Smith looks bad.

You, my friend, are the worst kind of fan.
C

the first one, yes.

~Ceadder

Didn't that last drive at least push it up to a C+?
Share 49ersWebzone