There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coaching Wasn't Nearly as Bad as You Think!

The team was totally under prepared coaches and players all deserve the blame. The only player that I thought had a decent game was Patrick Willis, everyone else sucked.
when you run up the middle 10 times in a row and it doenst work, and you decide to run it 10 times more afterwards, trust me thats bad play calling. whatever happend to running to the right? running to the left?

another thing that realllllllllllly pisses me off, for years they have alex rolling to his right to throw the damn ball, honesly ive seen that work only ONCE the past 200 times they have tried that. 99 percent of the time, he throws it out of bounds. for the love of god, stop running that playyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The team was totally under prepared coaches and players all deserve the blame. The only player that I thought had a decent game was Patrick Willis, everyone else sucked.

Justin Smith. Dude never stops.
It might not have been horrible, but there is still no imagination, and SEA knew what was coming..

I-formation = 1. run up the gut 2. play action 3. dink and dunk. - So when you crowd the box expecting a run, whethere we pass or not, its easy for the defense to react to the short stuff..

shotgun, 4WR set = even in this formation, the routes designed are horrible!! you have 2-3 WR running across the field 2-10yards resulting in short passes. 1 guy will run deep but a safety and corner is there for the most part to take that away..

to vanilla IMHO.. Look at the way some of the explosive offenses routes are designed for chuncks, while ours is designed for 5yards.. horrible
*edit*

[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Sep 13, 2010 at 19:58:35 ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,472
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,517
WTF are you blabbing about?

I can just read the title of this thread and disagree.

The f**king plays were not being called on time! You do you realize this is the ignition to the offense right? Coaching was screwed, bad plays, no plays, no adjustments, punting when down by 3 scores in the 4th, FB passes on 4th down and etc.

Stop trippin'
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Good job they got 7 plays right. And then the other 50 were f**king terrible.

You're telling me that ONLY ONE outside running play is good coaching?

That there was a draw play on first and 10 trailing 22 with 12 minutes left? That there was a screen play on first and 10 trailing 22 with 9 minutes left?

That we called our FULLBACK (who, even I'm not a talent scout and I know he's not very athletic) at two CRUCIAL moments for touchdowns? They do realize we have amazing skill players, right?

So when we're down 22 and it's 4th and 9, the ball is on their side of the field, and we don't go for it but instead punt, that that was a good call?

The coaching, the players, the gameplan. Everything f**king sucked. The coaching was especially disgusting.

For the very reasons you mentioned they weren't bad calls. They where just poorly executed. Draws and screens are designed for when a defense is getting aggressive or expects you to pass, which is what they where expecting. We didn't execute. Smith already proved that he could't find a WR down field more than 5 Yards, so they tried something else. It's that simple.

Moran is not a bad player. He is our FB. Even if you don't have confidence in him the Niners do or he shouldn't be on the roster. It was a good call in that no one was expecting it. He was open. IMO, Smith threw it in the worst way possible for a guy like Moran. He barely got his hand on it.

He couldn't find anyone downfield because Jimmy Raye used more than 2 WRs like 10 times. The thing about it that was the worst about THESE plays is that they were out of 2 WR sets. You think the defense is sitting Cover 4 when there are only 2 WRs? And they're both slow? Gimme a break. The Seattle defense sniffed out the screen INSTANTLY. And we didn't have ANY push going up the field from our O-Line all day and we run a draw that blew up. Westbrook didn't see the field. Ginn was on the field like 10 times. Anthony Dixon didn't see the field -- why not use him a decoy? Or try him out? The thing that was so terrible is that our coaching staff didn't change their approach after it constantly didn't work. Pathetic. All the way around. Players, coaches.

I hear what you are saying, but let me point out a couple of things.

This isn't madden. You go in with a specific game plan on how you want to execute. Smith started out strong, completing something like 11/13 passes. But as I pointed out in the OP, they just couldn't finish it off even when they had it in the bag.

You can't totally blame our HC for sticking with what should be our bread and butter offense. This is what they practice. This is what they expect to execute. Should we go into Spread offense the first sign of trouble? Where is the confidence in what we are doing? I think they wanted to see more out of Alex from under center. Alas, he never was able to get out of first gear and lead the team from under center. If you looked at his eyes he never seemed to be looking beyond 10 yards so the Hawks stacked the box and we where doomed.

Ted Ginn got injured in the game, so that left us with Morgan, Crab and Zig. I think I would like Walker over Zig (Actually over Morgan). The only burner is Davis, but neither you nor I know how many WR/TE where open. You can't make the assumption it was because we had a 2 WR set, especially when we use our TE as WRs.

Something no one else points out. We dont have any real game film on Carol. Not to mention he aquired some of our players/staff literally a week before the game. I wouldn't doubt if a disgruntled Balmer game him our defensive play book.

If you go back and read my in game posts, I was very frustrated with some of the play calling even when moving the ball so in some ways I agree with you. But, I think we lost this game primarily through the lack on execution on the players part.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The team was totally under prepared coaches and players all deserve the blame. The only player that I thought had a decent game was Patrick Willis, everyone else sucked.

Justin Smith. Dude never stops.

Agreed.
Originally posted by Chief:
WTF are you blabbing about?

I can just read the title of this thread and disagree.

The f**king plays were not being called on time! You do you realize this is the ignition to the offense right? Coaching was screwed, bad plays, no plays, no adjustments, punting when down by 3 scores in the 4th, FB passes on 4th down and etc.

Stop trippin'

Thanks for your lazy analysis.....

You're a true credit to the zone.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 13, 2010 at 20:06:28 ]
What I don't understand is why sign Westbrook and just sit him on the bench when he is the one player on the team that can run to the outside. Gore is best up the gut but when it isn't working and you have someone who can run outside the tackles put him in.
I'll agree with you that the players and their poor execution, were every bit as responsible as the coaching staff.

Both were exactly as bad as I think.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I hear what you are saying, but let me point out a couple of things.

This isn't madden. You go in with a specific game plan on how you want to execute. Smith started out strong, completing something like 11/13 passes. But as I pointed out in the OP, they just couldn't finish it off even when they had it in the bag.

You can't totally blame our HC for sticking with what should be our bread and butter offense. This is what they practice. This is what they expect to execute. Should we go into Spread offense the first sign of trouble? Where is the confidence in what we are doing? I think they wanted to see more out of Alex from under center. Alas, he never was able to get out of first gear and lead the team from under center. If you looked at his eyes he never seemed to be looking beyond 10 yards so the Hawks stacked the box and we where doomed.

Ted Ginn got injured in the game, so that left us with Morgan, Crab and Zig. I think I would like Walker over Zig (Actually over Morgan). The only burner is Davis, but neither you nor I know how many WR/TE where open. You can't make the assumption it was because we had a 2 WR set, especially when we use our TE as WRs.

Something no one else points out. We dont have any real game film on Carol. Not to mention he aquired some of our players/staff literally a week before the game. I wouldn't doubt if a disgruntled Balmer game him our defensive play book.

If you go back and read my in game posts, I was very frustrated with some of the play calling even when moving the ball so in some ways I agree with you. But, I think we lost this game primarily through the lack on execution on the players part.

Oh really? This isn't Madden? Don't insult me like that please we're having the first intelligent football argument I've been involved in in Ninertalk.

Number 1 -- I realize that Alex Smith started out strong and I completely agree that that is what is practiced, etc. But if the gameplan fails you're trying to tell me that the coach should continue to do so? As if suddenly it will work? I'm talking about we're down 22 our offense has looked like s**t for an entire quarter and half. It's time to change. It's time to try and spread out the defense. When did we run the ball with more than 2 WRs? I didn't keep count but I'd say it was 0 (unless it was a draw). I said that I agreed that the players were terrible in execution, but I fully blame the HC/OC for not attempting to spread out the field and throw the ball. Our factual evidence from last year shows that Alex is pretty good out of shotgun, and we needed a spark. What better way?? But you're saying we should just continue to grind out the same gameplan? To me, that is absolutely ludicrous.

Number 2 -- I know that Ted Ginn was injured. In the, what, 4th quarter? He saw the field about 10 times before that. How do we make Seattle respect the deep threat if he NEVER goes on the field? Even as a decoy to back off the safeties.. it opens up underneath routes AND can have a positive effect on the running game.

Number 3 -- I obviously know that we run our TEs as WRs. But if we get 4 WRs out there, they have to spread out their CBs. This opens up the running game as well. With 4 WR, there are not as good as CBs on the field and we can use that to our advantage. Football is a game of match-ups, and I feel like our coaching staff does not gameplan for this very well.

In the end, I agree that execution was a large problem. The biggest maybe. But that does not take away from the fact that we didn't mix it up. Ever. If you don't mix up against professionals, it's not going to work. The same running play 15 times? The same formation almost every time -- whether it be run or pass -- can compact their defense and make it easier to defend. No new personnel means no new thinking for the defensive players. I mean how easy is that? To not worry about something because hell, we've seen the same 11 players for 75% of the snaps... That's a good gameplan?! I agree with you about the execution, but the coaching was just awful.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,517
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Chief:
WTF are you blabbing about?

I can just read the title of this thread and disagree.

The f**king plays were not being called on time! You do you realize this is the ignition to the offense right? Coaching was screwed, bad plays, no plays, no adjustments, punting when down by 3 scores in the 4th, FB passes on 4th down and etc.

Stop trippin'

Thanks for your lazy analysis.....

You're a true credit to the zone.

It's not lazy, it's simple and true.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
So after I had some time to digest yesterday's complete blowout, I mustard up the courage to rewatch the game. What I found actually made me feel a little better. Yes the playcalling can be predictable. And yes, the communication issues falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, but the coaches did enough for us to win that game. Let's look at the facts.


We completly dominated most of the first half, starting with the interception on the first play of the game.,

It's not Raye's fault that Smith and Morgan couldn't get the touchdown. Morgan was open. The call worked. Either Smith threw too high or Morgan doesn't have enough body control or both. Put that on the players.

It's not Raye's fault that Moran Norris went into backpeddle mode and Smith lobbed him the ball instead of throwing it directly at him. The fact that Norris was so wide open tells me it was a good call. The players didn't execute.

It's not Raye's fault that Smith couldn't get Ginn the ball when he clearly had his man beat downfield. A good throw probably would of resulted in a TD. Once again, thats on the players.

It's not Raye's fault that Crabs decided to zig when Smith decided to throw the ball zag which resulted in a pick six.

It's not Raye's fault that Crabs couldn't hold on to what was essentially a bad shovel pass from Smith which also resulted in an interception.

Can you really blame Coach Sing that T.Brown wanted to be the hero and bit hard on the double fake from Mike Williams which resulted in a TD? If anything, we know our coaching staff preaches staying within your assignment. No way Sing or Manusky agrees a cb should be jumping a route before the ball is even in the air.

In fact, the execution was so poor from the players that I didn't even bother mentioning the phantom PI call on Nate. That play kept the drive alive for the Hawks which lead to their first TD. That really was when things started going down hill.

The point is, even though the coaches didn't operate at a very high level, they at least dialed up enough plays that if they would have been properly executed would of resulted in a much closer game and possibly the win. In retrospect, I dont think all is lost. I just think we needed more time in the preseason to build chemistry.

Seriously, look at all the points THE PLAYERS left on the field.



Forget it dude. Another clueless zoner that makes excuses. If its not alex homers its coach sing and jimmy faye homers. UNderstand one thing and one thing only. Coaching is bad on this team THe excuse of the headset was faulty and the calls werent shuttled in quickly enuf was used last year. THey had all off season to work on those "coaching issues". THis team is an embarassment, Welcome to a 1-4 start to the season.