There are 251 users in the forums

Coaching Wasn't Nearly as Bad as You Think!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So after I had some time to digest yesterday's complete blowout, I mustard up the courage to rewatch the game. What I found actually made me feel a little better. Yes the playcalling can be predictable. And yes, the communication issues falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, but the coaches did enough for us to win that game. Let's look at the facts.

We completly dominated most of the first half, starting with the interception on the first play of the game.,

It's not Raye's fault that Smith and Morgan couldn't get the touchdown. Morgan was open. The call worked. Either Smith threw too high or Morgan doesn't have enough body control or both. Put that on the players.

It's not Raye's fault that Moran Norris went into backpeddle mode and Smith lobbed him the ball instead of throwing it directly at him. The fact that Norris was so wide open tells me it was a good call. The players didn't execute.

It's not Raye's fault that Smith couldn't get Ginn the ball when he clearly had his man beat downfield. A good throw probably would of resulted in a TD. Once again, thats on the players.

It's not Raye's fault that Crabs decided to zig when Smith decided to throw the ball zag which resulted in a pick six.

It's not Raye's fault that Crabs couldn't hold on to what was essentially a bad shovel pass from Smith which also resulted in an interception.

Can you really blame Coach Sing that T.Brown wanted to be the hero and bit hard on the double fake from Mike Williams which resulted in a TD? If anything, we know our coaching staff preaches staying within your assignment. No way Sing or Manusky agrees a cb should be jumping a route before the ball is even in the air.

In fact, the execution was so poor from the players that I didn't even bother mentioning the phantom PI call on Nate. That play kept the drive alive for the Hawks which lead to their first TD. That really was when things started going down hill.

The point is, even though the coaches didn't operate at a very high level, they at least dialed up enough plays that if they would have been properly executed would of resulted in a much closer game and possibly the win. In retrospect, I dont think all is lost. I just think we needed more time in the preseason to build chemistry.

Seriously, look at all the points THE PLAYERS left on the field.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 13, 2010 at 18:33:25 ]
What really sucked about the bogus PI call, had nate not been held he would have had his 2nd int and put 6 pts on the board for us.
The loss was the whole organizations fault.
but the failed FB dive gave coaching the F.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Sep 13, 2010 at 18:39:01 ]
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

But can you not agree that if the players would of executed some of those very simple plays we probably would of won that game? All those failures really demoralized our team. By the time the 3Q rolled around it was clear we had to pass and the Chicken defense was just Ting off on us. Every defense will tell you that's exactly where they want an offese to be, obvious passing situations.
Sorry, but not getting the calls in on the goal line caused us to lose momentum, and Seattle to take advantage in a major way. The only thing that might have hurt us more than inept coaching yesterday was the phantom PI call against Clements that should have gone against the Seahawk defender. That turned what would have been a Seattle punt into a scoring drive for them.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

But can you not agree that if the players would of executed some of those very simple plays we probably would of won that game? All those failures really demoralized our team. By the time the 3Q rolled around it was clear we had to pass and the Chicken defense was just Ting off on us. Every defense will tell you that's exactly where they want an offense to be, obvious passing situations.

100% true.
One thing I hated seeing is the lack of Heart when we were down. Last year we fought till the end even if we were getting killed. By the 4th 90% of the team gave up.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Sorry, but not getting the calls in on the goal line caused us to lose momentum, and Seattle to take advantage in a major way. The only thing that might have hurt us more than inept coaching yesterday was the phantom PI call against Clements that should have gone against the Seahawk defender. That turned what would have been a Seattle punt into a scoring drive for them.

But we still where in position to score on a number of occassions and the players didn't come through. I'm just saying don't be so one sided. The players let that game get out of hand.
Good job they got 7 plays right. And then the other 50 were f**king terrible.

You're telling me that ONLY ONE outside running play is good coaching?

That there was a draw play on first and 10 trailing 22 with 12 minutes left? That there was a screen play on first and 10 trailing 22 with 9 minutes left?

That we called our FULLBACK (who, even I'm not a talent scout and I know he's not very athletic) at two CRUCIAL moments for touchdowns? They do realize we have amazing skill players, right?

So when we're down 22 and it's 4th and 9, the ball is on their side of the field, and we don't go for it but instead punt, that that was a good call?

The coaching, the players, the gameplan. Everything f**king sucked. The coaching was especially disgusting.

Our whole organization sucks. It's dark times for niner fans.
Well, how about the called swing pass to Gore on third and goal? Why does Moran Norris get three plays called for him inside the 10? Why did we abandon the run so early? Why didn't we go to a spread, aggressive attack once we were getting creamed? Raye kept calling that dink and dunk BS.

Good points, but Raye does deserve some blame like everyone else.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

That there was a draw play on first and 10 trailing 22 with 12 minutes left? That there was a screen play on first and 10 trailing 22 with 9 minutes left?

That we called our FULLBACK (who, even I'm not a talent scout and I know he's not very athletic) at two CRUCIAL moments for touchdowns? They do realize we have amazing skill players, right?

So when we're down 22 and it's 4th and 9, the ball is on their side of the field, and we don't go for it but instead punt, that that was a good call?

The coaching, the players, the gameplan. Everything f**king sucked. The coaching was especially disgusting.

For the very reasons you mentioned they weren't bad calls. They where just poorly executed. Draws and screens are designed for when a defense is getting aggressive or expects you to pass, which is what they where expecting. We didn't execute. Smith already proved that he could't find a WR down field more than 5 Yards, so they tried something else. It's that simple.

Moran is not a bad player. He is our FB. Even if you don't have confidence in him the Niners do or he shouldn't be on the roster. It was a good call in that no one was expecting it. He was open. IMO, Smith threw it in the worst way possible for a guy like Moran. He barely got his hand on it.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Well, how about the called swing pass to Gore on third and goal? Why does Moran Norris get three plays called for him inside the 10? Why did we abandon the run so early? Why didn't we go to a spread, aggressive attack once we were getting creamed? Raye kept calling that dink and dunk BS.

Good points, but Raye does deserve some blame like everyone else.[/quote]

Both in the begining and end of my post this was stated. But the Zone would not being going nearly this crazy if we had one or converted the above mentioned plays.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

For the very reasons you mentioned they weren't bad calls. They where just poorly executed. Draws and screens are designed for when a defense is getting aggressive or expects you to pass, which is what they where expecting. We didn't execute. Smith already proved that he could't find a WR down field more than 5 Yards, so they tried something else. It's that simple.

Moran is not a bad player. He is our FB. Even if you don't have confidence in him the Niners do or he shouldn't be on the roster. It was a good call in that no one was expecting it. He was open. IMO, Smith threw it in the worst way possible for a guy like Moran. He barely got his hand on it.

He couldn't find anyone downfield because Jimmy Raye used more than 2 WRs like 10 times. The thing about it that was the worst about THESE plays is that they were out of 2 WR sets. You think the defense is sitting Cover 4 when there are only 2 WRs? And they're both slow? Gimme a break. The Seattle defense sniffed out the screen INSTANTLY. And we didn't have ANY push going up the field from our O-Line all day and we run a draw that blew up. Westbrook didn't see the field. Ginn was on the field like 10 times. Anthony Dixon didn't see the field -- why not use him a decoy? Or try him out? The thing that was so terrible is that our coaching staff didn't change their approach after it constantly didn't work. Pathetic. All the way around. Players, coaches.
Share 49ersWebzone