There are 271 users in the forums

Coaching Wasn't Nearly as Bad as You Think!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by whatawegot:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
So after I had some time to digest yesterday's complete blowout, I mustard up the courage to rewatch the game. What I found actually made me feel a little better. Yes the playcalling can be predictable. And yes, the communication issues falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, but the coaches did enough for us to win that game. Let's look at the facts.

We completly dominated most of the first half, starting with the interception on the first play of the game.,

It's not Raye's fault that Smith and Morgan couldn't get the touchdown. Morgan was open. The call worked. Either Smith threw too high or Morgan doesn't have enough body control or both. Put that on the players.

It's not Raye's fault that Moran Norris went into backpeddle mode and Smith lobbed him the ball instead of throwing it directly at him. The fact that Norris was so wide open tells me it was a good call. The players didn't execute.

It's not Raye's fault that Smith couldn't get Ginn the ball when he clearly had his man beat downfield. A good throw probably would of resulted in a TD. Once again, thats on the players.

It's not Raye's fault that Crabs decided to zig when Smith decided to throw the ball zag which resulted in a pick six.

It's not Raye's fault that Crabs couldn't hold on to what was essentially a bad shovel pass from Smith which also resulted in an interception.

Can you really blame Coach Sing that T.Brown wanted to be the hero and bit hard on the double fake from Mike Williams which resulted in a TD? If anything, we know our coaching staff preaches staying within your assignment. No way Sing or Manusky agrees a cb should be jumping a route before the ball is even in the air.

In fact, the execution was so poor from the players that I didn't even bother mentioning the phantom PI call on Nate. That play kept the drive alive for the Hawks which lead to their first TD. That really was when things started going down hill.

The point is, even though the coaches didn't operate at a very high level, they at least dialed up enough plays that if they would have been properly executed would of resulted in a much closer game and possibly the win. In retrospect, I dont think all is lost. I just think we needed more time in the preseason to build chemistry.

Seriously, look at all the points THE PLAYERS left on the field.

Forget it dude. Another clueless zoner that makes excuses. If its not alex homers its coach sing and jimmy faye homers. UNderstand one thing and one thing only. Coaching is bad on this team THe excuse of the headset was faulty and the calls werent shuttled in quickly enuf was used last year. THey had all off season to work on those "coaching issues". THis team is an embarassment, Welcome to a 1-4 start to the season.

Who is the one team they are going to beat? The way the Chiefs are handling the Chargers tonight they might be 0-5. Arrowhead is LOUD, nearly Seattle loud and that defense is just stuffing SD running game. Sound familiar?

my bad. How clueless of me. That is 0-4 and maybe 1-5. A win against phil at home may be in the cards mainly due to the fact alex will be benched before that game. Thats the only reason i give them a chance.
I am not sure David Carr is going to do any better. He has a rep for being incredibly indecisive under pressure. He set an all-time universe record for sacks in a season = 947 sacks IN ONE SEASON.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Oak,

It's over for these guys. It most truly is. They based the entire season on the first game and in their eyes, its the same ol thing. Heck, it really, really was. They are beyond any reasonable explanation. It is black and white. We failed in the first game, displayed the same ineptitude as before, and got embarrassed by a weaker team.

I can see their point though after years of the same ol thing. The bottom line is that all phases of the game failed, period. As they say, it is not how you start, right? We started well and then collapsed. So I believe it is NOT over and we have 15 games to play starting with next week's home opener on the flip side.

If you can't be excited that we get to host MNF against the Saints and Jerry's # will be retired, then go find another team to bash because it doesn't get any better than this opportunity.

Let these guys fester. Let them stew in their anger. They will doubt. They have no reason to cheer in their eyes.

Can you blame them though? I will tell you this, Candlestick will boo the livin' daylights out of Smith quickly if he messes up. Tolerance is at an all time low.

Thanks for the post. I was pretty devistated yesterday. Even thinking how can I enjoy tailgating next week when I expect my team to get blown out on National Television. Well you know what. Forget that attitude. Sitting around b***h and crying wont do jack. I'm gonna go to Candlestick and try and be half the fan Seattle has, since for all intent and purpose they should of felt like I feel going into Monday night. I'm done with the seasons over cry babies....

Niners 4 Life 0-16 or 16-0
I am getting ready for being hammered as an Alex Excuser. But I like to analyze things and try to understand why certain things happen. I know, for some of you Alex just sucks.

But he has played well at times. He has been accurate many times. For some reason he seemed to fall apart yesterday after a good start. Why?

It is just my speculation, but I think he was getting frustrated with many things. He said a couple of weeks ago that it was important for the plays to be communicated to him quickly so that they could leave the huddle with at least 10-15 seconds left on the play clock. That way he could size up the defenses and call the protections. Yet, yesterday, this was not happening. Add the crowd noise, the frustration of the slow plays, and the pressure of being way behind, he was probably suffering from sensory overload and excessive adrenaline. This could result in loss of composer and throwing too hard and high.

I know, I know, the good QBs don't crack under pressure. But the really good ones are far and few between. Alex is not one of those. He does need things to be going right to function best. The team needs to solve these playcalling issues, and other players need to do their job, too. Then I think Alex should return to being better than he was last year.
So after I had some time to digest yesterday's complete blowout, I mustard up the courage to rewatch the game. What I found actually made me feel a little better. Yes the playcalling can be predictable. And yes, the communication issues falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, but the coaches did enough for us to win that game. Let's look at the facts.

We completly dominated most of the first half, starting with the interception on the first play of the game.,

It's not Raye's fault that Smith and Morgan couldn't get the touchdown. Morgan was open. The call worked. Either Smith threw too high or Morgan doesn't have enough body control or both. Put that on the players.

It's not Raye's fault that Moran Norris went into backpeddle mode and Smith lobbed him the ball instead of throwing it directly at him. The fact that Norris was so wide open tells me it was a good call. The players didn't execute.

It's not Raye's fault that Smith couldn't get Ginn the ball when he clearly had his man beat downfield. A good throw probably would of resulted in a TD. Once again, thats on the players.

It's not Raye's fault that Crabs decided to zig when Smith decided to throw the ball zag which resulted in a pick six.

It's not Raye's fault that Crabs couldn't hold on to what was essentially a bad shovel pass from Smith which also resulted in an interception.

Can you really blame Coach Sing that T.Brown wanted to be the hero and bit hard on the double fake from Mike Williams which resulted in a TD? If anything, we know our coaching staff preaches staying within your assignment. No way Sing or Manusky agrees a cb should be jumping a route before the ball is even in the air.

In fact, the execution was so poor from the players that I didn't even bother mentioning the phantom PI call on Nate. That play kept the drive alive for the Hawks which lead to their first TD. That really was when things started going down hill.

The point is, even though the coaches didn't operate at a very high level, they at least dialed up enough plays that if they would have been properly executed would of resulted in a much closer game and possibly the win. In retrospect, I dont think all is lost. I just think we needed more time in the preseason to build chemistry.

Forget it dude. Another clueless zoner that makes excuses. If its not alex homers its coach sing and jimmy faye homers. UNderstand one thing and one thing only. Coaching is bad on this team THe excuse of the headset was faulty and the calls werent shuttled in quickly enuf was used last year. THey had all off season to work on those "coaching issues". THis team is an embarassment, Welcome to a 1-4 start to the season.

Troll, Troll, Troll your boat, gentle down the stream....and you know the rest of the song.

No mr clueless. Im a niner follower, but a realist. Your a supposed niner fan with the word oakland in your username name. How profound. You my friend r how should be say a looooooooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssser.
I've been given crap for giving him excuses too, and I was willing to give Alex a shot with the first season of continuity at OC, but really that missed pass to Moran Noris. Come on! That has nothing to do with coaching, that was a great call. Jimmy Raye is probably too old to be an OC, and the whole not getting plays in on time is inexcusable, but it wasn't decisive.

The guy who started this thread is absolutely right. The players--Crabtree and Alex and both our starting corners especially---lost the game.

The whole team was unprepared to play football. Guess who's supposed to prepare them. That's right, the coaches.
  • dj43
Back to the OP; the answer depends on how bad you thought it was BEFORE Sunday.
Rayexcuses
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Our whole organization sucks. It's dark times for niner fans.
The coaching I dear say is much worse than most of us here believe.

~ We call all 3 timeouts in every game because we can't get the play in fast enough...
~ We go on every 4th down and don't make it.

These come to mind just off the top of my head.

Honestly I watch a lot of football and around the league and I don't see anything like this.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 13, 2010 at 23:09:10 ]

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Oakland-Niner,

Bud, I think you just want to be controversial here for the sake of controversy.Let's just use one of your examples here:

Quote:

So tell me honestly: Would you ask a FB that's not accustomed to catching the ball, nor is as quick or fast relative to not, one but two backs on your team to be the recipient of a critical, go-ahead touchdown?

Seriously. I would like to hear you argue why Norris is a better option than Gore - or why Norris is a better option than Westbrook. I'd like to hear why attempting a pass to Vernon Davis who tied TEs in TD catches in a season. If you can logically and coherently convince me of that, than I buy the rest of your argument. If not, it's a complete logical fail here.

Take a shot.

So did that comment come with a pat on the head?

Well lets see, where should I start......

If you expect me to argue that Norris is a better runner than Gore, you are barking up the wrong tree. Gore is clearly a much better player than Norris, but guess what, the defense knows that and is waiting for it. What where Gores stats at the end of the game again? Oh yeah, 17 carries for 38 yards...That means he was stuffed multipul times at the line of scrimmage. But you would of rather handed him the ball? Besides, you of all people should no that Gore has never really been a very good goal line back.

That brings us to Davis. He is a great weapon. As you pointed out he had 13 Tds. What you failed to mentioned unfortantly is that 9 of those TDs came from that one deep post play they loved to run last year. Not to mention he also dropped a very easy goal line game winning TD last year, I think that was against the Seahawks. And again, how many eyes do you think where on Davis?

As far as Westbrook is concerned, doesn't he have a hamstring issue? And if they did sub him in for one play do you really think they would have been waiting for the old Jimmy Raye up the gut run by Gore? I doubt he would of been allowed to run free like Norris. The whole reason the play worked so well was because it had the appearance of "business as usual."

I stand by my words. Norris is not a bad option. He has caught a few passes in his time. He didn't run the perfect route, but most NFL QB would of completed it to him. Smith should have thrown it directly to Norris. Instead, he added extra pressure by lobbing the ball in the air and letting it hang. Once your FB is turned around you should throw a f**kIN rainbow ball. Period.

As for Crabtree, he and Smith had zero chemistry all game.

Is that good enough for you, BUD...

Sorry it's not.... man. I trust Gore to get a TD before I trust Norris. Westbrook HAD hamstring issues but Singletary clearly said he would be available and he wasn't on the injury list at all. Yes Norris was open, but there's a reason why you leave Moran Norris open ... because there's a lower chance he won't execute properly with your WR. He's not one of the teams bona fide playmakers.

In crunch time, you throw the ball to, you involve your playmakers - always.

Just sayin.

Dude, get off your high horse. Clearly you are bias. Your argument is that Norris was open because the other team thought he sucked.....Why ask me to respond if you are too close minded to conceed my points are valid.

Again, it was Smiths fault.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

The whole team was unprepared to play football. Guess who's supposed to prepare them. That's right, the coaches.

Did you even read the opening post? Is it really the coaching staffs fault for all the complete fails by the players? Please reread and point out specificlly where I'm wrong. Thanks.
You gave tons of scenarios, However....

Yeah it was that bad....
Lets see, where to start.

Same running play to try and convert short yardage at least 3 times with the 3rd and 1. Failed--OC calling the plays

Anyone besides me notice, almost on EVERY second down in the first half, we had a running play. Even when we came out in the 2nd half same running plays that stalled.... OC calling the plays.

NOw dont get me wrong, this takes away nothing from the players accountability. But if your not given the plays that utilize our strengths, then that does go on the coach.

People even tried to misconstrue Alex's words when he said he doesnt want to have to improvise constantly. Someone tried to turn it and say he doesnt want to do it. But Smith answered Best, oh and Sing too at the end of the press conference when asked about Raye. They both said the same thing... "Thats what the OC is for"

While the players definitely left plays on the field. It's the Coaches that are responsible for putting them once again in the position to be successful. And really only in the first half, maybe first quarter, did that happen.

So brotha Oakland, while i agree with a lot of the reasons u gave on the players faltering. You'd be lying to yourself, if at any point in the game, you can say u didnt see half the plays the niners were gonna run. How many times did they line up, and u say to yourself, that plays going nowhere before it even starts. I did this almost every quarter after the first one.

Even when stretching the field. A good coaching system would say if they know Gore is gonna be the main focal point. Lets throw a screw in the system and Let them defend the pass first, to open up the run game if its not going to work. But no, like a stubborn horse. We ran tons of times when we were at 2nd and over 5 yds, for what like 1 or 2 yds.

NFL network, ESPN, even Jimmy Johnson on gameday stated the playcalling had no spark whatsoever. So u mean ur the only one that cant see the coaching is a Part of the problem. Not the only one, but a big part.

With Smith and company i look at it like this, he may very well, fall apart and never become a true NFL QB. But i say give him and the O, all the tools, and plays they need to be successful.... Then if they still dont make it happen, u know what has to be done. But dont put them in a detrimental situation, then speak of it's how the players fault they werent successful.
The Niners coaches can't even figure out how to get a play call in time (before qb mic gets cut off). It doesn't get more pathetic then that!

All the coaching and playcalling improvements in the world won't fix a qb that can't hit a wide open receiver two yards away.
Share 49ersWebzone