Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Davis: Problem is with play management

Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith is the problem, not the headsets, not the play calling.

as much as some here like to get on Raye and the players....he did call plays that could've been potential TDs and the players did their job and got open.

that Morgan Pass that was too high could've been placed elsewhere...

that Norris pass could've been elsewhere....I know that some here don't like us going to Norris...but the play worked, he was open for a TD.

that Ginn pass could've been elsewhere.... Ginn burnt his man... Raye drew up a play that worked and was a potential TD...but Alex missed his pass once again.

The pass to Norris. I doubt he and Smith worked on that during training camp, maybe once if at all. We have other more capable options for that play. It was the wrong call by the OC. One of many...

and looking back at the norris throw it wasnt horrible if norris ran foward instead of stopping and back peadling for it he wouldve been hit in a stride

LOL, some people will stop at nothing to defend the bum.

He f**ked up on that play and many others today. Deal with it.

im not defensing he shouldve bulleted it instead of lobbed it but the throw itself wasnt bad it was a horrible decision but the throw wasnt that bad
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

as much as some here like to get on Raye and the players....he did call plays that could've been potential TDs and the players did their job and got open.

that Morgan Pass that was too high could've been placed elsewhere...

that Norris pass could've been elsewhere....I know that some here don't like us going to Norris...but the play worked, he was open for a TD.

that Ginn pass could've been elsewhere.... Ginn burnt his man... Raye drew up a play that worked and was a potential TD...but Alex missed his pass once again.

The pass to Norris. I doubt he and Smith worked on that during training camp, maybe once if at all. We have other more capable options for that play. It was the wrong call by the OC. One of many...

Why would they not work on that in training camp? There's a reason why Norris was so wide open because the play is designed to catch a pass to Norris offguard. Bottom line, a good QB makes that catch easy for Norris. Alex Smith doesn't make it easy on his recievers to catch his passes.
Alex Smith had another sub par game, no excuses and it's getting damn old.

But there is an obvious communication problem that looks like it has something to do with getting the plays in. In SEA it gets magnified because of the noise. Just another issue to worry about... like we don't have enough.
Originally posted by keeferr75:
this is gonna be the longest week everrrrrrrrr

i know. i feel like traveling out of the country for a week.
Why is alex still under center? I only got to watch the second half but can someone tell me if the interceptions happened from a play where Alex was under center?

I see all many of the top QBs in the league playing from the gun more and more, but Alex, who would function better in the gun, gets old school play calling from Raye....I just don't get it.

Alex played great the first half except for the 4th and 1 throw, but even that looked like he and the reciever weren't on the same page.

everyone else played like crap as well. even with that touchdown this team would have lost.

Correction: I only got to watch the first half

[ Edited by Crysknife10 on Sep 12, 2010 at 19:32:53 ]
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

It pisses me the f**k off that so many people cannot realize this!!

It may be a combination of playcalling coming in late and Alex not realizing the time.

Did you guys notice before the 2 minute warning in the 2nd half that Alex had no awareness of the timeclock?

The plays not coming in ARE NOT AN EXCUSE!!! That is why he practices what to do in those situations in drills such as the ownership drills. As for the play clock... I am seriously baffled at how Alex just doesn't understand when the time is running out. The noise in the stadium does not impede him from viewing the large clock that is in front of him across the field.

I'm not buying that bulls**t! A good, not even a great, but a good QB knows how to handle those situations.
I think the headsets made him overthrow his receivers...not alex fault...we can evaluate that during the next 6 seasons again...all time he needs to get it done...not a problem..
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
If that's the case, then Smith needs to take initiative and Ask Madden.

-9fA

CLASSIC BRO!!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW!
I am so tired of this s**t happening for the past 3-4 years with us. Whenever it's 4th and 1, our coaches sit on their asses thinking about if we should or shouldn't go for it and that's the difference between having to burn a TO and getting the play started.

None of this excuses Smith's s**tty play, however.

This loss has me totally void of any hope for this team as long as Al Smith is QB.

I was almost to the point of tears as I looked at the score board this morning ( 0435 am local time). Going back to bed with a sense of resignation. Al Smith - brilliant student in the classroom, can't walk and chew gum at the same time while on the field. Everything has to be drawn out for him. No sense of flow, no sense of spontaneity, no creativity, no nothing on the field. Totally lost. No more excuses for this guy. An unmitigated failure as an NFL QB. Go back to Los Gatos and take Jay Raye with you.

It's not all Smith's fault, but he has to motivate the team, hold the team together with decisiveness in the face of adversity - non of which he did well.

How about starting the third stringer, Troy Smith, and keeping him there for the balance of the season? Got to be better than this.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Sep 12, 2010 at 20:11:45 ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
playcalling sucks

jimmy raye sucks

secondary sucks

alex smith you suck too

looking forward to kansas city after going 0-2
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I am so tired of this s**t happening for the past 3-4 years with us. Whenever it's 4th and 1, our coaches sit on their asses thinking about if we should or shouldn't go for it and that's the difference between having to burn a TO and getting the play started.

None of this excuses Smith's s**tty play, however.

I agree. Smith did play like sht. But sht rolls down hill. These arent ticky tack problems.

I swear its always something with this team. Can we just get sht together? Or let Smith call plays if the play isnt in by 15 seconds or something. I dont know. So frustrated with this team.

I'm over EVERY player except Davis and Willis.

Smith sucked. Staley got OWNED. Crabtree acted like a diva. F em all.

What's also sad is the we have no one that can step and take over the qb position even if we wanted that.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
aaron rodgers had two picks today...
The difference is Rodgers comes off the field looking more determine to make up for the mistake. Alex looks defeated

Sideline demeanor again?

lol i thought the same thing.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Sep 12, 2010 at 20:39:53 ]
It always seemed like when he had everyone lined up, he was taking forever to snap the ball...
It isn't fair to just pin this loss on one player. This was a complete meltdown from top to bottom.

Mike Singletary did a piss poor job preparing his team for this game, and a piss poor time in clock management.

Our OC can't get plays in on time and when he does they're incredibly vanilla. He's too old to come up with anything new and exciting or to look at teams and players weaknesses and take advantage of them and to analyze what's going on in the game and make adjustments.

Alex Smith sucked, even though he wasn't getting any help from his WR's he still was very innacurate.

Crabtree is turning into a little diva b***h. It's so disappointing to watch. I thought this might cause him to wake the f**k up and realize he needs to work but based on his post game comments he refuses to accept any wrongdoing for his laziness.

Our offensive line continues to struggle. Although I'm pretty sure at this point it has to do with Jimmy Raye not getting the play in on time enough for Alex to change the protections and/or the plays being incredibly predictable.

Morgan just has no body control. Yeah the pass was a little high but a legit receiver should know how to get two feet down on a play like that.

Clements was getting torched.

No pass rush.

In fact this game was so ugly it is incredibly hard to evaluate anybody. Just a complete team failure.

And in complete team failures, there is no other option but to put it squarely on Singletary's shoulders. His team came out woefully unprepared for this game. His motivational speeches aren't keeping the team from fracturing apart. His handpicked offensive coordinator is not an nfl caliber OC and as a head coach who's going to need to rely so much on his coaches to make up for his lack of X and O knowledge he needs to do a better job than that. We're still struggling from the same stupid mistakes that all the good teams just take for granted that they're going to do without even thinking about it. It's so so so frustrating that we can never seem to get over the hump to becoming a good team.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
It always seemed like when he had everyone lined up, he was taking forever to snap the ball...

Because they can't communicate verbally Smith has to use hand signals in addition to letting the lineman communcate the call. You saw how he had to tap Baas and then Baas would direct some of the lineman. Then Smith had to us some motion in the backfield to let Baas know to snap the ball. Thats a lot of steps. Not to mention Jimmy Raye takes his sweet time calling in plays.

As Smith said in the post game, " it really felt like we where pressing it only down a touch down." I think that had a lot to do with the guy never had any time in the backfield to settle down before hiking the ball. Every play seemed to be getting off just in time. That is no way to run an offense.