LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 135 users in the forums

Eric Davis: Problem is with play management

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You need quick offensive minds to adjust at halftime. It appears, that our HC and OC can't even figure out what went wrong , let alone fix it.

As stated above, the plays came in really slowly, but they were still bad, even if late.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
...which is why I had to throw high so my WRs had more time to down with it.

next question?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I am so tired of this s**t happening for the past 3-4 years with us. Whenever it's 4th and 1, our coaches sit on their asses thinking about if we should or shouldn't go for it and that's the difference between having to burn a TO and getting the play started.

None of this excuses Smith's s**tty play, however.

I agree. Smith did play like sht. But sht rolls down hill. These arent ticky tack problems.

I swear its always something with this team. Can we just get sht together? Or let Smith call plays if the play isnt in by 15 seconds or something. I dont know. So frustrated with this team.

I'm over EVERY player except Davis and Willis.

Smith sucked. Staley got OWNED. Crabtree acted like a diva. F em all.

Why aren't more people talking about this?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
It isn't fair to just pin this loss on one player. This was a complete meltdown from top to bottom.

Mike Singletary did a piss poor job preparing his team for this game, and a piss poor time in clock management.

Our OC can't get plays in on time and when he does they're incredibly vanilla. He's too old to come up with anything new and exciting or to look at teams and players weaknesses and take advantage of them and to analyze what's going on in the game and make adjustments.

Alex Smith sucked, even though he wasn't getting any help from his WR's he still was very innacurate.

Crabtree is turning into a little diva b***h. It's so disappointing to watch. I thought this might cause him to wake the f**k up and realize he needs to work but based on his post game comments he refuses to accept any wrongdoing for his laziness.

Our offensive line continues to struggle. Although I'm pretty sure at this point it has to do with Jimmy Raye not getting the play in on time enough for Alex to change the protections and/or the plays being incredibly predictable.

Morgan just has no body control. Yeah the pass was a little high but a legit receiver should know how to get two feet down on a play like that.

Clements was getting torched.

No pass rush.

In fact this game was so ugly it is incredibly hard to evaluate anybody. Just a complete team failure.

And in complete team failures, there is no other option but to put it squarely on Singletary's shoulders. His team came out woefully unprepared for this game. His motivational speeches aren't keeping the team from fracturing apart. His handpicked offensive coordinator is not an nfl caliber OC and as a head coach who's going to need to rely so much on his coaches to make up for his lack of X and O knowledge he needs to do a better job than that. We're still struggling from the same stupid mistakes that all the good teams just take for granted that they're going to do without even thinking about it. It's so so so frustrating that we can never seem to get over the hump to becoming a good team.

I really like this post. IMO, it's the most accurate analysis so far. Just curious. Would you be willing to fire Sing right now if we truly had a shot at bringing in Gruden/Holmgren/Cohwer?

No. I think we're stuck for the season. We just have to play it out and hope for the best.Installing a completely new season and having the players get used to a new coaching staff and a new way of doing things while already in the regular season would eb completely ludicrous and impractical.
Originally posted by Ramp19Stoner:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I am so tired of this s**t happening for the past 3-4 years with us. Whenever it's 4th and 1, our coaches sit on their asses thinking about if we should or shouldn't go for it and that's the difference between having to burn a TO and getting the play started.

None of this excuses Smith's s**tty play, however.

I agree. Smith did play like sht. But sht rolls down hill. These arent ticky tack problems.

I swear its always something with this team. Can we just get sht together? Or let Smith call plays if the play isnt in by 15 seconds or something. I dont know. So frustrated with this team.

I'm over EVERY player except Davis and Willis.

Smith sucked. Staley got OWNED. Crabtree acted like a diva. F em all.

Why aren't more people talking about this?

Easier to blame the QB. QB driven league and media.
Eric Davis just mentioned that Alex Smith said there was only one time that the head set defaulted. Eric said that means there is a managment problem. They need to get the plays in faster. I knew that excuse sounded like bulls**t. Just thought I would call them out on BS.

Raye ran every play by coach Singletary, its not SLOW, its a PROCESS.

Coach Singletary is the last disciple of the late Bill Walsh. Singletary personally screen and approve all offense plays to filter out all finesse plays or plays that may look finesse.
Originally posted by jed_york:
Eric Davis just mentioned that Alex Smith said there was only one time that the head set defaulted. Eric said that means there is a managment problem. They need to get the plays in faster. I knew that excuse sounded like bulls**t. Just thought I would call them out on BS.

Raye ran every play by coach Singletary, its not SLOW, its a PROCESS.

Coach Singletary is the last disciple of the late Bill Walsh. Singletary personally screen and approve all offense plays to filter out all finesse plays or plays that may look finesse.

It isn't fair to just pin this loss on one player. This was a complete meltdown from top to bottom.

Mike Singletary did a piss poor job preparing his team for this game, and a piss poor time in clock management.

Our OC can't get plays in on time and when he does they're incredibly vanilla. He's too old to come up with anything new and exciting or to look at teams and players weaknesses and take advantage of them and to analyze what's going on in the game and make adjustments.

Alex Smith sucked, even though he wasn't getting any help from his WR's he still was very innacurate.

Crabtree is turning into a little diva b***h. It's so disappointing to watch. I thought this might cause him to wake the f**k up and realize he needs to work but based on his post game comments he refuses to accept any wrongdoing for his laziness.

Our offensive line continues to struggle. Although I'm pretty sure at this point it has to do with Jimmy Raye not getting the play in on time enough for Alex to change the protections and/or the plays being incredibly predictable.

Morgan just has no body control. Yeah the pass was a little high but a legit receiver should know how to get two feet down on a play like that.

No pass rush.

In fact this game was so ugly it is incredibly hard to evaluate anybody. Just a complete team failure.

And in complete team failures, there is no other option but to put it squarely on Singletary's shoulders. His team came out woefully unprepared for this game. His motivational speeches aren't keeping the team from fracturing apart. His handpicked offensive coordinator is not an nfl caliber OC and as a head coach who's going to need to rely so much on his coaches to make up for his lack of X and O knowledge he needs to do a better job than that. We're still struggling from the same stupid mistakes that all the good teams just take for granted that they're going to do without even thinking about it. It's so so so frustrating that we can never seem to get over the hump to becoming a good team.

I really like this post. IMO, it's the most accurate analysis so far. Just curious. Would you be willing to fire Sing right now if we truly had a shot at bringing in Gruden/Holmgren/Cohwer?

No. I think we're stuck for the season. We just have to play it out and hope for the best.Installing a completely new season and having the players get used to a new coaching staff and a new way of doing things while already in the regular season would eb completely ludicrous and impractical.

agreed. adjust the play calling process and move on. firing/replacing would just create more havoc right now. wait till the end of the season when the time is right.
Originally posted by Janitor:
If you don't have a play.....call your own damn play!!

If you don't like what the coach calls....call your own damn play!!

I don't give a s**t if you get yelled at, it's better than wasting 3 timeouts and getting a delay of game penalty on the 1 yard line.

You're the f**king QB and supposed leader of the team, stop being a p***y and act like it.

Seriously? That'd get him benched in a heartbeat. He's supposed to be a leader. Showing the team you don't have to listen to the coaches would ruin any hope for the rest of the season. Come on now...
1 alex smith did suck
2 crabtree ran wrong rout to calls made every time
3 our oline cdnt hold the s**thawks defence let alone break them
4 our d was shocking after the first quart it seemed they totally switched off
5 sing made some real bad calls a division game is not the time to go for it on every 4th down when in kicking range
yet every1 is blaming alex smith for it all alex was only a small part of the problem don't use him as the scapegoat cause the whole fkin team fell apart not just alex

Originally posted by chico49erfan:

No pass rush.

I would. And promote Sullivan to OC. Jimmy is the worst... he really is. It's unbelievable how terrible our plays are and how predictable we are.

Print this out, and send it to Jed. Time to wake the f**k up, before we witness a repeat of last year. The Seahawks obviously had the only HC on the field yesterday. After seeing what we saw, I wish Carroll was on our sideline afterall. He would take us to the next level. Sing and Jimmy cant get out of first gear. Blind leading the blind.
Here's a novel idea, why not have Raye operate from the sidelines? then we can evaluate and see where the bugaboos lie. This may light a fire under his butt to get the calls in much sooner!

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by Janitor:
If you don't have a play.....call your own damn play!!

If you don't like what the coach calls....call your own damn play!!

I don't give a s**t if you get yelled at, it's better than wasting 3 timeouts and getting a delay of game penalty on the 1 yard line.

You're the f**king QB and supposed leader of the team, stop being a p***y and act like it.

Seriously? That'd get him benched in a heartbeat. He's supposed to be a leader. Showing the team you don't have to listen to the coaches would ruin any hope for the rest of the season. Come on now...

I've never seen Brett Favre get benched, yet the above is exactly what I've watched him do time and time again. Coaches don't like it, but you can't argue with results. I don't think anyone disagree's that Brett is a leader.
Giys you know what, even Michael rbinson would have made that toss to the FB that Norris missed on. Why is he even active in pass plays, run plays/. He could not open anything for Gore. SO WHY IS HE STILL ON THIS TEAM AGAIN? We need a serious philosophical change when it comes to short yardage plays. understand that when the run game is non functional, YOU STILL NEED TO SCORE POINTS! Get 'em however, you can and live to fight another day COACH SING! Utilize your many weapons!

Originally posted by skibeerski:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
No link yet but Tim K posted this on Twitter:

@timkawakami Wow. Alex Smith being very clear there was only 1 instance of a tech problem with headphones. Other times: "We had trouble getting it in."

And the more interesting one:

@timkawakami Alex Smith just completely backed up my guess/thoughts. 49ers' slow playcalls came only on key offensive moments. There's a problem here."

Any theories for that last one?

Yeah, my theory is that you're looking for any chance to make an excuse for Alex... Am I wrong?

tim k and kevin lynch hate alex and they are both saying crabtree was at fault for a lot of the game im sorry i gotta believe crabtree was at fault a lot for this game however i am not saying smith played great nor am i making excuses for him he played bad but the fact of the matter is he had no help at all today

tim k hates both of the bay area teams.

How about we blame both Alex and Crabtree. Both sucked it up. Add Jimmy Ray in there also.

I agree.
Share 49ersWebzone