LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

Eric Davis: Problem is with play management

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Raye cannot call the play into Smith unless he [Raye] is on the sideline. NFL rules don't allow booth to QB connections—only sideline to QB connections.

LOL
  • dj43
Originally posted by znk916:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100912/NEWS/100919871/1057/SPORTS0908?p=all&tc=pgall

Lowell Cohn is all over this...hope he keeps the heat up because Raye has to go, we have Mike Johnson waiting in the wings, no reason to hold off any longer

we're stuck with Alex for at least the rest of this season, have to try and make it work. Whether he's calling out Raye on purpose or not, as the saying goes....where there's smoke there's fire.
IT ISN'T ABOUT ALEX. (sorry for yelling) Bill Walsh won more than a few games with Steve DeBerg, Jeff Kemp and Bill Musgrave. Anybody ever heard of those guys? ANYBODY? DeBerg did go on to have a long if undistinguished career but it was based in large part on the tutelage he received from Walsh.

It is up to the coaches to put players in a position to succeed, and that begins with scheme and play design. Yesterday we saw the SAME EXACT PROBLEMS WE SAW LAST YEAR.

Alex Smith will never succeed with this team, but then no one else would either with the schemes and play design Jimmy Raye has brought with the full agreement of Singletary.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
It probably doesn't matter too much if the play calls come in fast or slow when the QB can't hit the broadside of a barn.

dude, we don't look like we know what we're doing out there. From Qb, to receivers, everything on offense man. It's bad. Raye has got to go.
It probably doesn't matter too much if the play calls come in fast or slow when the QB can't hit the broadside of a barn.

You guys are f**king pissing me off. There were no questions about Smith's accuracy when he went 9/10 to open the game.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I don't think Smith was "calling anyone" out. Typical Cohn yellow journalism.

I agree that Cohn is exaggerating a bit. Smith didn't know that Singletary had blamed the timeouts/delays on headset problems. So he just said that the headsets malfunctioned only once. How was he supposed to know that his coach just said something differently.

However, there's no denying that that miscommunication (or bad luck) is going to be scrutinized. And that the coaching staff came out of it looking really bad.
Originally posted by Psinex:

You guys are f**king pissing me off. There were no questions about Smith's accuracy when he went 9/10 to open the game.

9/10 to open the game

complete f**k up to finish the game

questions about accuracy are legit
  • dj43
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith is the problem, not the headsets, not the play calling.

as much as some here like to get on Raye and the players....he did call plays that could've been potential TDs and the players did their job and got open.

that Morgan Pass that was too high could've been placed elsewhere...

that Norris pass could've been elsewhere....I know that some here don't like us going to Norris...but the play worked, he was open for a TD.

that Ginn pass could've been elsewhere.... Ginn burnt his man... Raye drew up a play that worked and was a potential TD...but Alex missed his pass once again.

The pass to Norris. I doubt he and Smith worked on that during training camp, maybe once if at all. We have other more capable options for that play. It was the wrong call by the OC. One of many...

and looking back at the norris throw it wasnt horrible if norris ran foward instead of stopping and back peadling for it he wouldve been hit in a stride

LOL, some people will stop at nothing to defend the bum.

He f**ked up on that play and many others today. Deal with it.

im not defensing he shouldve bulleted it instead of lobbed it but the throw itself wasnt bad it was a horrible decision but the throw wasnt that bad

Had they worked on it in training camp, the coaches would have instructed Norris to NOT TURN HIS BACK to the goal line, and to continue running towards the end zone as the ball would come to him. Right play, wrong player. (Westbrook)
Exactly right. The coaches had one of the all-time best receiving backs sitting on the bench and they throw the ball to the worst pass catcher on the team.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

9/10 to open the game

Actually right now I'm questioning his mental toughness. As you both said he started very well, but as soon as things started going the other way he was completely rattled (Barrows noticed that too).

That's NOT a good sign.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

9/10 to open the game

Actually right now I'm questioning his mental toughness. As you both said he started very well, but as soon as things started going the other way he was completely rattled (Barrows noticed that too).

That's NOT a good sign.

Agreed. The poise he showed in the pocket during the preseason evaporated once the going got tough. From there on out, it was the same Smith we've seen year, after year, after year, after year....

It's getting mighty old.

QB and coaching staff equally to blame.
The bottom line is it is the coaches job to ensure that the team he puts on the field has the best possible chance to win it can. That means motivating, creating a good game plan, choosing who starts and sits, and making sure players themselves are prepared. Singletary et al obviously were not ready for this game in any way, and it showed in our poor time management, call playing and complete lack of focus when things went wrong. It also seems that, instead of taking ownership of their role in yesterday's fiasco, Singletary took a page out of Coach Nolan's playbook and passed the buck. That is not only a terrible example to provide to your players, it can be a team killer. How can players have faith in their coaches when coaches can't do their jobs well enough to win and then foist their part of the blame onto others? I myself have had questions about Sing's ability to do his job for years, but this unfortunately exposes him to be even more incompetent than I expected. This team should be so much better, but it seems obvious it will underacheive as long as our leadership is not able to lead.

Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Raye cannot call the play into Smith unless he [Raye] is on the sideline. NFL rules don't allow booth to QB connections—only sideline to QB connections.

Then his old ass needs to be on the sideline, when he doesn't know what to do in a tight situation, he panics and calls a play for Norris.

It was a good play call. Norris had an easy TD but Alex's inaccuracy killed it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex Smith is a head case as far as the QB position is concerned;

1. He is so affraid to get hit (hence the roll right throw out of bounds syndrome) that he straight threw the ball to the left with nobody home because he thought he was going to get hit!

2. He holds on to the ball to long (which will lead to him getting hit!), he should be hitting his hot reads quicker since he has such a sensative panic button.

We need a QB ASAP, A.S is done...

9/10 to open the game

Betcha they had 10 scripted plays...
Share 49ersWebzone