There are 231 users in the forums

Which comparison is more accurate

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which comparison is more accurate

I keep hearing different analysts trying to label a team that hasn't played a down in anger yet this season. I really hate the Bears, Ravens BS because it implies that our offense is weak.

I don't think our defense comes close to the 01 or 85 teams, people often argue which of those two are the greatest of the modern era, and well our DB's keep us out of that discussion.

I think we compare favorably to the 90's era Cowboys (It hurts to say it).
Defensively we are as good across the front seven as any of the great teams, but I think like the Dallas teams we are suspect in the secondary. On offense, Smith is an accurate but not overly impressive QB willing to take a hit (and mobil unlike Aikmen)
We have a big and powerful O-line, that should generate an unstoppable running attack. We should have a strong passing attack to balance things out, we only lack a Moose Johnson at FB.

I think comparing this team to the Bear and Raven teams over estimates our D and insults our offense. In the end I hope this team is good enough that some day other teams are compared to it.
Sorry, Smith + "accurate" = does not compute
ravens is good example, dominant defense , good RB, above average WR, and crappy QB. sounds about right.
As much as I lack faith in Alex Smith, I still believe he is far better than Dilfer. Our defense is good but Smith is going to be called upon to win a few games for us. Our secondary gives up too much yardage, and does not get enough INTs. The pass rush is also inconsistent.

You could have put any QB in for Dilfer and they would have won the Superbowl! Baltimore's defense was ridiculously good!
I voted 10 niners because:

We have way more receiving talent than the 85 bears

Our secondary is too poor to be compared to 01 ravens

And I would never, under any circumstances, compare us to the cowboys
As of right now our defense isn't even close to being mentioned with Baltimore or Chicago. What are you guys smoking? Those are the best defenses of all time.

Can we at least wait to we finish in the top 5 once before we start comparing ourselves to them.
Hold up. Are you saying you hear the niners defense being compared to the 85 bears defense? Who is saying that?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Hold up. Are you saying you hear the niners defense being compared to the 85 bears defense? Who is saying that?

I was just re reading his post and saw the overstating our D part.

We don't have a defense good enough to carry us to Super Bowl. It's not elite, capable of shutting down any offense at will just yet.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:02:04 ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
WTFITS!
We will get a better idea soon enough. We can't get carried away. We must stay the course.

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I was just re reading his post and saw the overstating our D part.

We don't have a defense good enough to carry us to Super Bowl. It's not elite, capable of shutting down any offense at will just yet.

Exactly....
I picked other,

I think of us becoming more of a Steeler type team. With Singletary trying to bring a more family orientated stability to the team (like the Rooney’s). The Steelers had great Defenses which we are striving for of course we run two totally different schemes on D but the fundamental mentality is the same. On offense we want to run the ball as the Steelers have tried to do in the past, Crabtree versus Hines Ward both not speed burners but they catch the ball and know how to get open. I give the edge on being more explosive to Tree. I think the wildcard is Vernon Davis; we have a dynamic Tight-end something they never had. If Alex Smith gives us good QB play then skies the limit for us to not only challenge for a super bowl but multiple ones if he stays consistent and does not regress after this season.
I picked "other" because I think its a dumb poll.
I don't think we compare to any of those teams. Those are all teams with extremely well established identities on both sides of the ball and my view of our team is that we're working towards an identity, but not quite there yet.

Seeing as we hired Raye and Solari, it would be logical to assume the 9ers aspire to play offense similar to the late 90's early 2000's Chiefs, but as it stands today; our offensive line is a work in progress to say the least, our FB is a far cry from Tony Richardson and we utilize little if any play action...funny lookin' power football??? It's Solari's 1st year though and judging by preseason, he does have the guys pointed in the right direction. We'll see how much the guys up front can soak up and execute this year, but I'm very optimistic on that front.

Where I get confused on offense is the emergence of that spread last year. It's hard to see the bridge between spread and power football when your QB is in the shotgun all the time, but listening to the slight change in Sing's tune from this year to last, I suspect some form of middle ground will be reached and the 9ers will find a way to incorporate both. Some kind of balanced attack??? If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, you should probably just run the F'n spread until the offensive line gets it's sh*t together...that's what my Grandpappy would say. I really don't see what the coaching staff would have against scoring points early instead of late. They can employ all the power football they want, but let's get a goddamn lead first and not put so much pressure on the defense...

Defense is a lot easier to see where the 9ers are headed, but they also ain't there yet. Again; seeing as Mike Singletary is our HC and Greg Manusky is our DC, it would be logical to assume that the 9ers aspire to run an active and attacking 3-4 defense. While I think we've come miles in the way of being active and attacking, I also think our DB's poor play/lack of talent has effectively forced Manusky to keep our LB's on a bit of a short leash;although they weren't messing around in pre season...I still find it hard to believe that Manusky will turn em loose in that fashion when the chips are down against a real offense. Our best corner (or at least the one that we're paying the most) is all but useless in man coverage and until that changes, our safeties will be strictly over the top cover 2 safeties. The defense is close though; 1 more draft and that defense is set and then it will start to resemble the Ravens d imho. Corner, corner, corner...
Quote:
Years before he got the 49ers job, Mike Singletary spelled out how he would coach a team if given the chance.

In his autobiographical "Mike Singletary One-on-One," published in 2005, he vowed: "I'm going to run it, run it and run it some more -- and toss an occasional deep pass for balance."

And the quarterback?

"I don't need him to win the game," Singletary wrote. "We'll have 11 people and together we will win. The quarterback has to be the kind of guy who won't hurt us."

It is a philosophy born from experience. Twenty-five years ago, Singletary played middle linebacker for one of the greatest teams in NFL history. The '85 Chicago Bears relied on a fearsome defense, an offense that ran it, ran it and ran it some more, and a quarterback who got the most out of his 184 passing yards per game.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_16017121?nclick_check=1
Share 49ersWebzone