There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners sign Troy Smith

Originally posted by DANADA:
reunited and it feels so good

Originally posted by joebbadass:
Nate got himself on Singletary's permanent sh!t list. There was attitude and work ethic, but also once you are on Singletary's bad side you are done. A personality thing. I don't think Singletary liked him and I don't know that that there is anything that could make the coach like him. Nate Davis will likely be successful somewhere else. I don't know why they signed Troy Smith. The "Wildcat" or "Tazer" is gimmicky junk. I hope they hang on to Jarrett Brown.

chill man, he is the 3rd QB. If we don't hear any else about Troy Smith the rest of the year, that will be a good thing.

And the bottom line is the 49ers didn't have the resources to develop Nate Davis as a 3rd QB, and he proved he didn't have the tools right now to be a #2.

He will get another shot, and if an organization wants to spend the resources, having a coach be on him 24 hours a day, mentor, and tutor him, he will develop. Our organization just didn't want to do that. Jed is cheap what can you say?
i remember thinking that Troy could end up being a decent QB if given the time to develop a bit. I'm not excited by this signing, but we've got to be aggressive in trying to shore up the QB position. If Alex can't do it, then we've got to figure out Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D. This championship window for this team is just opening, can't expect to get a superstar QB in the draft...
Nate got himself on Singletary's permanent sh!t list. There was attitude and work ethic, but also once you are on Singletary's bad side you are done.

Like Vernon Davis? Singletary has shown the ability to change or modify his point of view if the player is willing to put in the time and effort to succeed.

Nate Davis never did.

Nate Davis will likely be successful somewhere else.

And this is based off your personal opinion?

I'll leave talent evaluations to the professionals.

I don't know why they signed Troy Smith.The "Wildcat" or "Tazer" is gimmicky junk.
Who said anything about running the Wildcat? They haven't ran it once this pre-season.

Welcome aboard, Troy Smith. We now have the best QB stable in the League, as far as pedigree. Seriously, welcome aboard and good luck!
Originally posted by global_nomad:
He will get another shot, and if an organization wants to spend the resources, having a coach be on him 24 hours a day, mentor, and tutor him, he will develop. Our organization just didn't want to do that. Jed is cheap what can you say?

What NFL Franchise assigns a full time coach to a player?

Nate Davis didn't put in the effort and work. Having a personal assistant (which doesn't happen in the NFL) isn't going to change anything.
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:

Welcome aboard, Troy Smith. We now have the best QB stable in the League, as far as pedigree. Seriously, welcome aboard and good luck!

and what is the NFL career winning percentage of all 3 QBs on our roster

college pedigree doesn't mean s**t in the NFL if you don't win.
he's about right as a 3rd string qb
Originally posted by redrathman:

What NFL Franchise assigns a full time coach to a player?

Nate Davis didn't put in the effort and work. Having a personal assistant (which doesn't happen in the NFL) isn't going to change anything.

Thats my point. Why do you think he slipped to the 5th round? Nate Davis learns visually, and if people want him to succeed he is going to need an aide to help learn an NFL playbook.

I think going home to Indy would be a good option for him. They aren't sold on their 2nd and 3rd QBs. They have a winning organization and would be willing to bring someone with a learning hardship in and help him develop.
Former Heisman Trophy Winner Troy Smith Highlights...
Niners I hope this move will pay dividends down the road... Good luck to Troy Smith!
Originally posted by NinerBabe:
Niners I hope this move will pay dividends down the road... Good luck to Troy Smith!

why would you wish that? If we make the playoffs this year and in the future it will be on the back of Alex Smith

like I said before, if we don't hear another thing about Troy Smith this year, it would be a good thing. He is the emergency 3rd QB.
Thats my point. Why do you think he slipped to the 5th round? Nate Davis learns visually, and if people want him to succeed he is going to need an aide to help learn an NFL playbook.

I think going home to Indy would be a good option for him. They aren't sold on their 2nd and 3rd QBs. They have a winning organization and would be willing to bring someone with a learning hardship in and help him develop.

The 49ers could have assigned 25 coaches to teach Nate Davis the offense.

He still wouldn't have put the time and effort into learning the position and the playbook.

It took the team one full season and one offseason to determine Nate Davis didn't have the desire to learn the position.
SWEET!!!! A SMALLER AND SLOWER MICHAEL VICK!!
Originally posted by redrathman:

The 49ers could have assigned 25 coaches to teach Nate Davis the offense.

He still wouldn't have put the time and effort into learning the position and the playbook.

It took the team one full season and one offseason to determine Nate Davis didn't have the desire to learn the position.

ya I'm sure his personality did show, but I still think he will get another chance, and around a different coaching staff could help him develop still.

I guess its up to him.
Originally posted by NinerBabe:

why would you wish that? If we make the playoffs this year and in the future it will be on the back of Alex Smith

like I said before, if we don't hear another thing about Troy Smith this year, it would be a good thing. He is the emergency 3rd QB.

Quite frankly NONE OF OUR 3 QB's could take us to the SB. I am being REALISTIC and that's the TRUTH. I AM NOT going to rely on AS or CARR to get us there. WE NEED UPGRADES from these 2 and fast. Until AS can clench the NFC Division.... maybe I will change my mind.