LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Niners sign Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
So now we have a new savior. Quick, someone start the Troy "I'm better than that other Smith" Smith bandwaggon thread.

shaj and susweel are already on it
Where's MadDog? Them Niners are stacking the team with Buckeyes!
Hmm so we fired a lazier/taller QB with better mechanics to hire a shorter QB with horrible mechanics that rolls out constantly due to vision problems (that cannot find his passing lanes), and cannot throw an accurate ball past 30 yards.

Meh, Nate Davis was still the best 3rd stringer you could ask for. -Seems to me like Singletary doesn't like Alex Smith or David Carr, and he's looking for somebody to turn to when s**t hits the fan in mid-season, cause otherwise we could have just cut Davis at the end of the season if it wasn't life or death.
So now we have a new savior. Quick, someone start the Troy "I'm better than that other Smith" Smith bandwaggon thread.

Thanks!! I read that and almost died laughing. Too funny!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Hmm so we fired a lazier/taller QB with better mechanics to hire a shorter QB with horrible mechanics that rolls out constantly due to vision problems (that cannot find his passing lanes), and cannot throw an accurate ball past 30 yards.

Meh, Nate Davis was still the best 3rd stringer you could ask for. -Seems to me like Singletary doesn't like Alex Smith or David Carr, and he's looking for somebody to turn to when s**t hits the fan in mid-season, cause otherwise we could have just cut Davis at the end of the season if it wasn't life or death.

I disagree.. when your a 6th rd draft pick in your 2nd season and u decline in ur 2nd year preseason, that outta tell u something.. Although most of us liked Davis, you dont want to see decline against backups and bubble guys.. I think Sing wants to keep 3 qbs and was more intruiged with Troy Smith as a back up than Nate Davis. Then if Alex Smith doesnt play lights out, we might go after a QB in the first rd next year..
This signing is just f**king horrible, cause it only means one thing now: RETURN OF THE TASER. (And no this isn't Nate Davis rage, it seems obvious because that's what Baltimore used him for last season.)
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

I disagree.. when your a 6th rd draft pick in your 2nd season and u decline in ur 2nd year preseason, that outta tell u something.. Although most of us liked Davis, you dont want to see decline against backups and bubble guys.. I think Sing wants to keep 3 qbs and was more intruiged with Troy Smith as a back up than Nate Davis. Then if Alex Smith doesnt play lights out, we might go after a QB in the first rd next year..

Nate Davis was a 5th round pick tho, bro. (Everybody thinks he's a 6th for some reason lol.)
This signing is just f**king horrible, cause it only means one thing now: RETURN OF THE TASER. (And no this isn't Nate Davis rage, it seems obvious because that's what Baltimore used him for last season.)

rename the taser GOLDRUSH!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WestCoast:

Nope not me.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
No, I think the 49ers just wanted someone with game experience to be the third QB. The goal is for the third QB to never get on the field. But if worse comes to worse, they know they have someone in Troy that can run a NFL offense. I would expect the 49ers to draft a new 3rd QB next year, looking at Troy as a 1 year stop gap.

Smith will be the 3rd QB meaning he will not be an inactive and can only play if the two QB's get hurt. So no, there will be no Taser.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

Nope not me.

my apologies sir.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I thought for sure they'd sign an ILB and go with just two Qbs.
Share 49ersWebzone