LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 349 users in the forums

John Clayton's take on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Actually, what Shaj said is pretty much true. With some exceptions, just about every NFL starting QB is good. The difference in their success and stats is very often a reflection of the 21 other starters around them. It is a team game, and the other players can miss blocks, fumble balls, drop passes, run the wrong routes, and draw untimely penalties, all of which affects the outcome of the game and the QB's stats. For once, we agree, Shaj.
bald people with pony tails are stupid
Originally posted by excelsior:
Actually, what Shaj said is pretty much true. With some exceptions, just about every NFL starting QB is good. The difference in their success and stats is very often a reflection of the 21 other starters around them. It is a team game, and the other players can miss blocks, fumble balls, drop passes, run the wrong routes, and draw untimely penalties, all of which affects the outcome of the game and the QB's stats. For once, we agree, Shaj.

It's true, Rodgers was 6-10 his first full year as a starter VS smith's 7-9. Doesn't mean smith is the better qb.
Who cares what Clayton, or anybody for that matter, says, good, bad, or otherwise. For the first time in Smith's career he has some stability. Why can't we just sit back and see what happens? The critics have plenty of fuel for their fires, but what bothers me is that they very rarely ever take into consideration the adversity(call it excuses, I really don't care) he's gone through. He was set up to fail from day 1 and I won't be surprised if he does. That doesn't mean I don't want him to fight through it and prove everybody wrong. Does it suck that in year 6 we're still waiting to see if he can play? Yeah. And why? Because we were so goddamn spoiled in the 80's and 90's we forgot that All Pro QB's aren't a dime a dozen.
[ Edited by GBNinerFan on Sep 7, 2010 at 10:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

It's true, Rodgers was 6-10 his first full year as a starter VS smith's 7-9. Doesn't mean smith is the better qb.

Yeah, must be nice for Rodgers to inherit a 13-3 team when Smith inherited what was pretty much an expansion team.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

Yeah, must be nice for Rodgers to inherit a 13-3 team when Smith inherited what was pretty much an expansion team.
It's true, hopefully smith can take it to a new level like Rodgers
Cant waait for this guy to have to eat his words
Ughh, I just sat through double-chin Lombardi on NFLN go on and on about how Alex Smith will never be a good QB and that we'll only make the playoffs if Gore gets the ball 50+ times a game.

Alex has got to shut these f**ks up.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, Alex needs to shut these f**kers up, I'm getting sick of it.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:27 AM ]
EAST COAST BIAS

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Ughh, I just sat through double-chin Lombardi on NFLN go on and on about how Alex Smith will never be a good QB and that we'll only make the playoffs if Gore gets the ball 50+ times a game.

Alex has got to shut these f**ks up.

Why can't people at least get the quotes right!!!! if you are to speak of them????

All Lombardi said was that:

"SF must get a running game established, as Smith won't be able to carry this team. They need to control the line of scrimmage. Their defense is good enough to win the division but the offense just can't screw it up."

All Dukes said was that:

"Now that all of the pieces are in place, it's on Alex. SF has now surrounded him with a lot of weapons in the skill positions... it will be incumbent upon Alex to get the job done."
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Funny thing is if Clayton had said Alex Smith is due for a breakout season and will make the pro-bowl, the Smith nut suckers would have been praising him as the greatest reporter ever. Outside of this forum not that many people are delusional to believe that Alex Smith will be a franchise quarterback.

its the fact he has matt schaub as 15 matt ryan so high when alex clarly outplayed him last year the fact that he said our WR makes a lot of catches and are "Excellent WR core"
stuff like that

Matt Schaub is only listed where he is because he has no team success. Clayton pretty much noted that. This isn't fantasy football here. Schaub's stock will rise when his team makes the playoffs.

His list isn't solely based on last season. Matt Ryan regressed last season party because of his injuries. Nobody is putting Alex Smith above Ryan. Nobody. While regressing a much younger and inexpierenced Matt Ryan played a fraction worse than Alex. He's still the better QB. Just look at his rookie season. I know it's hard for people to understand this, but when you've been in the league for 5 years and your team has never made the playoffs you're stock is going to be low. See Matt Schaub. The guy is an excellent QB but he doesn't get his due because he's stuck on a mediocre team.

the much younger Ryan is a year younger than Smith. Matt Ryan's 1st year was almost identical to Alex's second, except Alex was 21 and Ryan was 24.

Atlanta made the playoffs. Difference #1. Matt Ryan did have better stats than Alex that year albeit only in TD's and picks. Difference #2.

Smith: 2890 yards, 16 TDs 16 Int, 58.1%, 74.8 QB rating
Ryan: 2916 yards, 22 TDs 14 Int, 58.3%, 80.9 QB rating.

Now here's what actually separates the 2. Team success and yes that does get factored in.

Ryan 20-10
Smith 12-16 (Not counting his rookie season)

I think it is fair to say that Ryan had much more talent around him.

every QB that plays better than Smith had favorable circumstances that allowed him to do so.

ya cuz smith had a top 10 receiver like ryan had roddy white and a HOF TE as a safety valve. ryan had a way better line so even tho our RB is better than his, his was more effective because of the line. ryan had an offensive system in place and smith stepped into an offense with a philosophy change goin on midseason and a depleted under talented line. totally even playing field right? shaj your blind hate for smith is getting ridiculous.

Alex had the sh*ttiest receiving core ever his rookie season, but it improved. He had Antonio Bryant, Vernon Davis/ Eric Johnson and Frank Gore coming out of the backfield. That's not as bad as you're making it out to be. Antonio Bryant put up 1,000 yards for Cleveland the year before he came here, and he put up close to 1,300 yards the year after his suspension in Tampa. He's a head case but he can play.

Last season we had Crabtree, Davis, and Frank Gore. Sure there is no stability in our organization and that's killed him, but it's not like Matt Ryan was walking into Indy. He was taking over a franchise that just had their coach quit and leave to college and the face of the franchise arrested on dog fighting charges. That organization was in shambles.

You talk about Atlanta's O Line yet you fail to recognize the injuries they suffered last year hampering their play. It was not that good of a line last season.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 8, 2010 at 7:25 AM ]

Or.. it might. Rodgers team went 13-3 the year before, Smith's team went 4-12. It will be interesting to see who is on top by the end of their careers between the two. For those that think Rodgers, I'd recommend they read the children's story about the rabbit and the turtle. Point being: You never know.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Funny thing is if Clayton had said Alex Smith is due for a breakout season and will make the pro-bowl, the Smith nut suckers would have been praising him as the greatest reporter ever. Outside of this forum not that many people are delusional to believe that Alex Smith will be a franchise quarterback.

its the fact he has matt schaub as 15 matt ryan so high when alex clarly outplayed him last year the fact that he said our WR makes a lot of catches and are "Excellent WR core"
stuff like that

Matt Schaub is only listed where he is because he has no team success. Clayton pretty much noted that. This isn't fantasy football here. Schaub's stock will rise when his team makes the playoffs.

His list isn't solely based on last season. Matt Ryan regressed last season party because of his injuries. Nobody is putting Alex Smith above Ryan. Nobody. While regressing a much younger and inexpierenced Matt Ryan played a fraction worse than Alex. He's still the better QB. Just look at his rookie season. I know it's hard for people to understand this, but when you've been in the league for 5 years and your team has never made the playoffs you're stock is going to be low. See Matt Schaub. The guy is an excellent QB but he doesn't get his due because he's stuck on a mediocre team.

the much younger Ryan is a year younger than Smith. Matt Ryan's 1st year was almost identical to Alex's second, except Alex was 21 and Ryan was 24.

Atlanta made the playoffs. Difference #1. Matt Ryan did have better stats than Alex that year albeit only in TD's and picks. Difference #2.

Smith: 2890 yards, 16 TDs 16 Int, 58.1%, 74.8 QB rating
Ryan: 2916 yards, 22 TDs 14 Int, 58.3%, 80.9 QB rating.

Now here's what actually separates the 2. Team success and yes that does get factored in.

Ryan 20-10
Smith 12-16 (Not counting his rookie season)

I think it is fair to say that Ryan had much more talent around him.

every QB that plays better than Smith had favorable circumstances that allowed him to do so.

ya cuz smith had a top 10 receiver like ryan had roddy white and a HOF TE as a safety valve. ryan had a way better line so even tho our RB is better than his, his was more effective because of the line. ryan had an offensive system in place and smith stepped into an offense with a philosophy change goin on midseason and a depleted under talented line. totally even playing field right? shaj your blind hate for smith is getting ridiculous.

I don't have blind hate, I am impatient and results oriented. You guys all need to work for the federal government.

I don't have blind hate, I am impatient and results oriented.

Which is just another way of stating that you can't or simply refuse to take the time to actually see WHY things happened the way they did. Fans can afford to be that myopic. A coaching staff paid to bring success can not... do not... and will not. (thankfully)
Share 49ersWebzone