There are 195 users in the forums

Steve Young interview about Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
You guys are still not listening to the interview.

Steve never said Smith is like Leinart, he brought up Leinart as an example of a slow-speed QB to help him demonstrate the difference of his earlier comment of high-gear QB story with Montana. He then said, "you can see Alex can get through 4th gear. This is the year that we'll see if Alex can shift into high gear," which shows that he already thinks Smith is much better then Leinart. Hopefully Smith can hit that high gear.

The mistranslation happens cause Steve didn't take a breath talking about Alex and then going right into Lienart. I read Sando's take and that just didn't sound like Steve imho, cause it was all over the map in translation. In the past Steve had been openly critical of Alex, but not in a condemning way. He was as on the fence about the kid as a lot of fans have been.

But this time he's giving Smith some respect in saying that he thinks that Smith can be that guy. The guy that we all wanted him to be back when he was drafted. And of note, he did say that with some guys it just takes time. Hopefully he does succeed. It would be a waste if he failed and we didn't take this Division when it's ripe for the taking.

Thanks for digging that up Method cause I just red the NFCWest blog on ESPN and was about to go to the source, to see if that's what he really said or if Sando was being obtuse. Glad it's the latter.

~Ceadder
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Of course it's misconstrued. It fits their agenda better that way. It's what Alex haters do...

what exactly is an "Alex Hater"? Do you not find it strange that die hard fans can have extreme issues with just one player exclusively? If they were truly a hater, wouldn't they hate the team? Wouldn't they cheer some other team? I've been a DIE HARD fan for 28 years - since I was 12. Everything in my life - from passwords to personalized license plate has something to do with 49ers. Does that sound like a hater to you? You really ought to call us "non-functional player haters" or "complacency haters" or "excuse haters" or "excellence lovers". Calling someone who wants nothing more, outside of the health and well being of their family, than to see this team have glory years again a hater does nothing more than serve a personal agenda IMO.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
He's a HOF QB, so he can tell if another QB has that extra "gear". I trust Young's judgement.

With that said, I hope that Alex succeeds with what he has.

Totally agree. I want Alex to succeed for all our sakes, but this is a stunning indictment from one of the game's all-time best QBs. Steve Young knows what he's talking about, of that there is no doubt.

I do think that Steve wants Alex to do well, but at this point in his career, Alex has to put up or shut up.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Steve Young's arrogance is painful. His story isn't unlike Smith's thus far, so he shouldn't come from such a holier than thou perspective. And if you're not aware, that is how he has talked about Smith since his first year with the team. I don't know why he feels so frightened by Smith... Somehow in Steve Smith's mind, Alex Smith is a threat to him. At least that is how it seems to me whenever I hear how he speaks about Smith.

Arrogance? That's laughable, even with the well established notion that Steve's been there, done that, and can talk all he wants.

There is no arrogance in stating facts when it comes to QB play. Think of Steve as an expert witness at a trial. He's telling it like it is.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Plain and simple, Smith is gonna continue to get remarks like these until he proves everyone wrong. All the talk in the world right now is not gonna make him better or worse, I don't care who praises him and who doubts him.

Imagine being Alex Smith, and having to hear that about yourself from one of the great QBs of the franchise he is now playing for. Some will say he should man up and prove otherwise, and I think that is the mentality Smith probably takes, at least at this point in his career. But at the same time, Young should be helping Smith because that would be helpful to the 49ers, the franchise that made him the star he still benefits to this day from being.

Hang on. I mean loyalty is appreciated but Steve Young was getting these same questions and more when he was playing. He had Joe to contend with. Who has Alex been in competition with during his tenure?

I'm not a major Alex fan but I don't get off in seeing him fail. If he improves then I'm happy for him. Although there is now no reason for him not too. He has frankly been given everything. No excuses. Steve didn't want to hear them when he was playing.

Seriously....if Alex Smith thinks he's under pressure, he has no clue about the type of pressure that Steve Young was under for close to 4 seasons before he finally got the proverbial monkey off his back. After his first year as the starter (during which he got hurt, replaced a more productive Steve Bono, and watched the Niners miss the playoffs for the first time in over a decade), Eddie D was ready to trade him to Al Davis. Thank the stars it never happened.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
Of course it's misconstrued. It fits their agenda better that way. It's what Alex haters do...

what exactly is an "Alex Hater"? Do you not find it strange that die hard fans can have extreme issues with just one player exclusively? If they were truly a hater, wouldn't they hate the team? Wouldn't they cheer some other team? I've been a DIE HARD fan for 28 years - since I was 12. Everything in my life - from passwords to personalized license plate has something to do with 49ers. Does that sound like a hater to you? You really ought to call us "non-functional player haters" or "complacency haters" or "excuse haters" or "excellence lovers". Calling someone who wants nothing more, outside of the health and well being of their family, than to see this team have glory years again a hater does nothing more than serve a personal agenda IMO.

I am an Alexlover, but when I read posts from "Alexhaters" i take it with a grain of salt. Whether you love the guy or not, we all want this team to win. I'm pretty sure those who are critical of him will admit they were wrong if he produces. I will admit I was wrong if he sucks. I'm sure there are people out there who hate on Patrick Willis...wait nevermind what a stupid thing to say
I heard that interview last night. AS it's now or never. And to have all the weapons and full components of a solid O-Line, AS better get in the mentality state that every game he will play this season will be scrutinized as HELL, so he needs to play smart PERIOD. AS do not let this franchise down we have come a long way since our last playoff appearance 8 yrs ago.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If anything, Alex should reach out to Steve and ask him what he could do better.

I have no doubt that Steve would talk to him and help him.

One of the things that continues to disconcert me is the current regime's distance from the players who basically made the team's lasting dynastic legacy.

That being said, I think it's better now than it used to be, but the front office needs to increase the exposure our players have to the past greats. Not just Montana showing up for a photo shoot, but bringing in Lott as a guest coach, or bringing in Brent Jones to talk to Davis, Rice to talk to Crabs, or having Steve talk to the QBs about footwork and timing. There are universal skills and experiences that can be taught and shared.
I just listened to the interview. Phil Barber, you just screwed up what Steve Young said! lol

He probably got the transcript and never bothered listening to the actual interview.
I want to know how many of you actually heard the interview. It seems to me a lot of you haven't. There is an MP3 link right on the first post here in this thread, so kindly listen in to it before weighing in with anymore BS. It must be the fluoride in the water or something, but comprehension is clearly an issue with many of you. That you all seem to manage to wipe your own asses is amazing.

Originally posted by thojess:
I want to know how many of you actually heard the interview. It seems to me a lot of you haven't. There is an MP3 link right on the first post here in this thread, so kindly listen in to it before weighing in with anymore BS. It must be the fluoride in the water or something, but comprehension is clearly an issue with many of you. That you all seem to manage to wipe your own asses is amazing.

Seriously. The past 10 posts, I think only 2 or 3 of the posters actually heard the interview. Lol. Ah well.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
He's a HOF QB, so he can tell if another QB has that extra "gear". I trust Young's judgement.

With that said, I hope that Alex succeeds with what he has.

Totally agree. I want Alex to succeed for all our sakes, but this is a stunning indictment from one of the game's all-time best QBs. Steve Young knows what he's talking about, of that there is no doubt.

I do think that Steve wants Alex to do well, but at this point in his career, Alex has to put up or shut up.

so then you aagree with steve young when he says that alex is gonna be a succesfull qb?

thats good to hear
Originally posted by Shaj:

I think Alex will be fine this year. It's the best O Line he has ever had. It's the best weapons he has ever had. And for the first time in his NFL career he has 2 years in the same system with the same coordinator. Plus he is healthy now. He had 18 TD's and 12 Int's in a half season. It wasn't really that bad for him in 09. Plus with all this and a full season I see know way he won't be better.
date on this interview?
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
date on this interview?

9/2
Share 49ersWebzone