LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Put Nate Davis on the practice squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I like how the Alex stans have hijacked this thread, even though the topic is about Nate Davis.

My theory is right: Any praise for any QB not named Alex Smith automatically = hate for Alex.

Its kinda hard to get back on the Alex bandwagon with all the saliva on the seats from constant ballwashing by Stans.

That's what's up!!!

You were the one who brought up Smith in this thread, genius.

I told you never call me genius in public - it's embarrassing. And yes I made a Smith/Davis comparison but you and the rest of the Alexcuse posse came and hijacked it! This thread by its very definition is pro-smith, and anti competition. It show ignorance and small ideas inside of a small mind propagated by the media's willingness to destroy any competition to Alex Smith. You call me genuis and I accept... May I call you football feather weight?

Nuh Nuh no. Don't make excuses, you were the one who brought up Smith, don't cry when people read it and call out your pompous comments for what they are.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Kendrick:
C'mon guys. Just because Sing fooled the media doesnt mean you have to be fooled. verybody loves Nate. the kid did great on his last outing, not statistically but they learned enough to know he wont be # 2 this year but he will be # 1 in the future.
Sing nipped any controversy in the bud and humbled everyone in the room. The press that follows our team are nothing but rehashers or brown-nosers. So, what Sing says, goes.

Sing did fool the media. I think he is doing what he did to Vernon when he banished him to the locker room - calling somebody very talented out and hoping it brings out the best in him in the future. I think this is a management tactic, and a pretty smart one at that.

he is talented but he is cleary not ready did you see what happened when he played against 2nd stringers in game 2 his only good pass was the deep one and everything else was a 3 and out (2 of them were 3 and outs) and on that long pass they still didnt end up scoring face it he can only play against 3rd stringers ( and btw the 1st string offense what alex played with played with nate as well during the drives against the 2nd stringers)

he has instinct, and that's what has caught my eye. Smith has the ability to execute plays in a low risk fashion once he has enough time, but he has zero instinct, just none. He's better suited for a west coast offense IMO. I just am tantalized with Nate's upside potential, which I think is much higher than Smith's. Smith may well end up having the better career though.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by dj43:
At this time it is very clear that Davis is either headed for the PS, or will be the designated #3 QB. Until/unless such time as Smith or Carr are injured, Davis will not be game eligible. He clearly does not have the understanding of the game to be reliable in the regular season.

Very often kids/people who have a "learning disability" simply have not been taught the discipline necessary to focus and learn. It is a "learning" disability only in that they have not been required to do it. They have been allowed to slide through. In certain cases, when that one thing that want to do is taken away from them, in the case of Nate Davis, play football, all of a sudden the "learning disability" is solved. I believe that is something Singletary understands full well and took Davis to the woodshed in hopes that Davis will use the focus necessary to take advantage of his physical talents.

You my friend are a Moron congatulations

Attack the post not the poster.
Originally posted by English:
At this time it is very clear that Davis is either headed for the PS, or will be the designated #3 QB. Until/unless such time as Smith or Carr are injured, Davis will not be game eligible. He clearly does not have the understanding of the game to be reliable in the regular season.

Very often kids/people who have a "learning disability" simply have not been taught the discipline necessary to focus and learn. It is a "learning" disability only in that they have not been required to do it. They have been allowed to slide through. In certain cases, when that one thing that want to do is taken away from them, in the case of Nate Davis, play football, all of a sudden the "learning disability" is solved. I believe that is something Singletary understands full well and took Davis to the woodshed in hopes that Davis will use the focus necessary to take advantage of his physical talents.

Attack the post not the poster.

Ya, you moron! Oh... wait.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Did OP bump his head? Nate has skills he has shown and would get snapped up in an instant.

Sure Nate has some skills, but he has also shown that his learning disability is a severe disadvantage (which is what caused him to drop in the draft in the first place). On multiple times in the season, the coaches said that he is not progressing as fast as they want. Now imagine Nate going to a new team and having to learn everything again from scratch. He may not even accept an offer from another team, because it will set him back 2 years. And how many teams want to wait 2 years before a vet QB is ready to play a game for them?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

congratulations.

oh, the irony!
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Did OP bump his head? Nate has skills he has shown and would get snapped up in an instant.

Sure Nate has some skills, but he has also shown that his learning disability is a severe disadvantage (which is what caused him to drop in the draft in the first place). On multiple times in the season, the coaches said that he is not progressing as fast as they want. Now imagine Nate going to a new team and having to learn everything again from scratch. He may not even accept an offer from another team, because it will set him back 2 years. And how many teams want to wait 2 years before a vet QB is ready to play a game for them?

The moment Nate hits the practice squad, he will be picked up. What makes you think he'll not accept an offer, just because it 'sets him back'? That's your opinion.

Nate obviously has skills, and that's the main reason he'll be picked up right away. He can be coached and should progress if he continues to work on his game.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I like how the Alex stans have hijacked this thread, even though the topic is about Nate Davis.

My theory is right: Any praise for any QB not named Alex Smith automatically = hate for Alex.

Its kinda hard to get back on the Alex bandwagon with all the saliva on the seats from constant ballwashing by Stans.

That's what's up!!!

You were the one who brought up Smith in this thread, genius.

I told you never call me genius in public - it's embarrassing. And yes I made a Smith/Davis comparison but you and the rest of the Alexcuse posse came and hijacked it! This thread by its very definition is pro-smith, and anti competition. It show ignorance and small ideas inside of a small mind propagated by the media's willingness to destroy any competition to Alex Smith. You call me genuis and I accept... May I call you football feather weight?

Nuh Nuh no. Don't make excuses, you were the one who brought up Smith, don't cry when people read it and call out your pompous comments for what they are.

Did you even read my post? - petty much?
Here is my 2 cents. I think that he would be safe on the practice squad. If it is true that he has a learning disability and he is not taking the time to learn the play book, then I would have to question his dedication to the team. If I knew that my weakness was a learning disability, I would have my head in that play book 24/7. I think that he has been getting by on his god given abilities alone. That is what drives Sing crazy. Sing wants his players to put in the work on and off the field. I can see Sing doing this to drive his point home to Davis. My only thing is if you are going to do this the player that you keep has to be able to contribute. I don't see Curtis Taylor doing that. I would rather see us keep Alex Boone then Curtis Taylor. I think that we will keep 4 safeties and that is Goldson/Lewis/Smith/Mays. I think the 2 big ?'s of making the team is Alex Boone and Khalif Mitchell. Only time will tell what sing does.
  • dj43

Thank you for your contribution.

I am basing my comment on multiple studies and upon a combined 40+ years experience between myself and my wife, both in the classroom and on the field. Those observations are also confirmed by other teachers and coaches with whom we have come in contact. Upon what are you basing your comment?

C'mon guys. Just because Sing fooled the media doesnt mean you have to be fooled. verybody loves Nate. the kid did great on his last outing, not statistically but they learned enough to know he wont be # 2 this year but he will be # 1 in the future.
Sing nipped any controversy in the bud and humbled everyone in the room. The press that follows our team are nothing but rehashers or brown-nosers. So, what Sing says, goes.

Sing did fool the media. I think he is doing what he did to Vernon when he banished him to the locker room - calling somebody very talented out and hoping it brings out the best in him in the future. I think this is a management tactic, and a pretty smart one at that.

That's wishful thinking, the possibility of Nate Davis being cut seems very real.

He seems to be in a Jason Hill situation rather than a Vernon Davis situation. He plays well, but is a bad practice/playbook player, therefore he doesn't make the cut with this coaching staff. Even though Vernon Davis had gameday issues as a pass catcher, he was a stellar practice player and an excellent blocker so the coaching staff had faith in him.

This coaching staff is all about having a roster full of players who are healthy and fundamentally sound.
he wouldn't make it to the practice squad, the Seahawks would sign him first.
LOL, worrying about how good your 3rd string QB is right now? Haha, typical Niner talk. They are not going to go sign another QB because a 3rd stringer didn't look sharp in a preseason game.
  • dj43
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:

That's wishful thinking, the possibility of Nate Davis being cut seems very real.

He seems to be in a Jason Hill situation rather than a Vernon Davis situation. He plays well, but is a bad practice/playbook player, therefore he doesn't make the cut with this coaching staff. Even though Vernon Davis had gameday issues as a pass catcher, he was a stellar practice player and an excellent blocker so the coaching staff had faith in him.

This coaching staff is all about having a roster full of players who are healthy and fundamentally sound.
I agree with your overall assessment.

I also believe Singletary is sending a message to the the team, especially to the young players, about the commitment necessary to play in this league, and to play for Mike Singletary.

Sometimes a coach will make a calculated decision to make an example of a certain player in order to set a tone for the team. That was a part of why he made Nate's situation as public as he did. If the kid can deal with that and pick up his work ethic, great. In not, the sooner the team learns that, the sooner they can cut their losses and move on. Let's hope Davis picks it up. His talent is intriguing, even though it is not earth shaking. A lot of young guys have great arms but never become good QBs.
Originally posted by boast:

congratulations.

oh, the irony!

LOL yes I just saw that "congratulations".

Yes when someone posts an ignorant statement like that it fires me up and I get careless with my spelling.

First of all, Learning Disabilities are a known medical fact, the brain is wired differently. For instance if the 49er coaching staff spent some time looking at how Dyslexia works and tried teaching him the proper way it would pay great dividends. I have had experience with Learning Disabled children and found them extremely bright but they have to be taught differently than the other students. When they do they thrive and usually do better than a lot of the other students.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone