LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Put Nate Davis on the practice squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
This is assuming he is still eligible (I don't know what the rules are). After a full season of work, he still doesn't know the entire playbook. Singletary publicly gave a poor assessment of his play. I don't think any other team would put him on their 53 man roster, knowing that he won't be able to play for them at all in 2010.

By doing so, it will allow the 49ers to keep another player around that is more likely to contribute to the 2010 season like Curtis Taylor.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Good idea, I like it. Good topic.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
This is assuming he is still eligible (I don't know what the rules are). After a full season of work, he still doesn't know the entire playbook. Singletary publicly gave a poor assessment of his play. I don't think any other team would put him on their 53 man roster, knowing that he won't be able to play for them at all in 2010.

By doing so, it will allow the 49ers to keep another player around that is more likely to contribute to the 2010 season like Curtis Taylor.

Wow - I do hope you are kidding.
I wish the webzone had a practice squad to put you on....
Come on man... if you have read these forums you would know anybody placed on a team's practice squad can be signed by another team as long as they are placed on the 53 man roster. If we do that he is GONE.
No freaken way . . . if Smith went down we'd be one play away from MRob at QB . . . we need three QB's . . . plus he'd probably get boosted of the P.S. anyway.
meh if anything put the Brown kid on the practice squad he might develop into a better qb then Davis anyways.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dirty9er:

I think it's a great idea. It would allow is to keep an extra player. Nobody is going to grab him off the PS so he'll be safe there. BTW, I"m hoping the Panthers cut Tony Pike so we can snag him as our No. 3 Qb.
Originally posted by mayo63:

I think it's a great idea. It would allow is to keep an extra player. Nobody is going to grab him off the PS so he'll be safe there. BTW, I"m hoping the Panthers cut Tony Pike so we can snag him as our No. 3 Qb.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

What you don't like Tony Pike, jreff?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Let's face it - Nate Davis is taking too long to learn the playbook. What if we were to get a new offensive coordinator next year? Must we wait 2 years for him to learn that playbook too?

As for having only 2 QBs on the roster, some teams have done it in the past, so it isn't a crazy idea to suggest it. Most likely Davis would be on the practice squad when we needed him.

For those that think another team would snatch him up - which team do you think would sacrifice a roster spot for a player that will provide no help for them at all in 2010? Or do you really think he will be able to pick up another team's playbook fast enough to contribute in 2010?

Yeah, hell NO to Davis on the PS. I say cut Carr, waive the other kid, start Smith leave Davis as the backup and let Robinson be the #3 QB and save a roster spot that way.

We don't need a #3 QB. If Smith AND Davis both get injured in the same game, then we're screwed anyway.

Carr is trash and the other kid hasn't even got on the field.

Our season rides on Smiths shoulders, (no pun intended) and Davis is our only option after that.

Bet big, win big...
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Come on man... if you have read these forums you would know anybody placed on a team's practice squad can be signed by another team as long as they are placed on the 53 man roster. If we do that he is GONE.

I agree, he'll be snatched up. I personally think he should be our #2.

I like Pike just fine, I'm just imagining what would happen if we actually did that. Niner Talk as we know it would self combust and the ACP crowed would have no savior.
im glad some of you arent in the front office.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I like Pike just fine, I'm just imagining what would happen if we actually did that. Niner Talk as we know it would self combust and the ACP crowed would have no savior.

What the hell, nothing else going on right now.
Share 49ersWebzone