LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

Put Nate Davis on the practice squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fryet:
Let's face it - Nate Davis is taking too long to learn the playbook. What if we were to get a new offensive coordinator next year? Must we wait 2 years for him to learn that playbook too?

As for having only 2 QBs on the roster, some teams have done it in the past, so it isn't a crazy idea to suggest it. Most likely Davis would be on the practice squad when we needed him.

For those that think another team would snatch him up - which team do you think would sacrifice a roster spot for a player that will provide no help for them at all in 2010? Or do you really think he will be able to pick up another team's playbook fast enough to contribute in 2010?

Dude, what are you talking about? Taking to long?!? Stop letting the TV tell you what to think. At what date should our (2nd year) 3rd string QB have Mastered the playbook!??! Hell, Alex Smith hasn't mastered anything - has made millions and in 6 years not generated anything but comedy for the NFL! Nate Davis is already better than Smith and you are talking pratice squad... Really?!?!
Stirring the pot, are we? He would not pass waivers. There are way too many teams that are in QB situations that are not very promising. If Smith goes down, Carr will play his way out, and Davis will be inserted.

The worst part is that you are suggesting we put Davis on the practice squad for Curtis Taylor. What has he ever done?
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Let's face it - Nate Davis is taking too long to learn the playbook. What if we were to get a new offensive coordinator next year? Must we wait 2 years for him to learn that playbook too?

As for having only 2 QBs on the roster, some teams have done it in the past, so it isn't a crazy idea to suggest it. Most likely Davis would be on the practice squad when we needed him.

For those that think another team would snatch him up - which team do you think would sacrifice a roster spot for a player that will provide no help for them at all in 2010? Or do you really think he will be able to pick up another team's playbook fast enough to contribute in 2010?

Dude, what are you talking about? Taking to long?!? Stop letting the TV tell you what to think. At what date should our (2nd year) 3rd string QB have Mastered the playbook!??! Hell, Alex Smith hasn't mastered anything - has made millions and in 6 years not generated anything but comedy for the NFL! Nate Davis is already better than Smith and you are talking pratice squad... Really?!?!

What are you smoking buddy pass that s**t over! Davis our 3rd string scrub destroying qb who doesn't put in any effort and got picked apart by our head coach for being lazy is better then our starting qb LOL man these kids kill me!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thrash88:

What are you smoking buddy pass that s**t over! Davis our 3rd string scrub destroying qb who doesn't put in any effort and got picked apart by our head coach for being lazy is better then our starting qb LOL man these kids kill me!

LOL.
This is my new favorite thread
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Every 2nd year QB should know the entire playbook. As for "mastering" it, I think it is open to debate on what mastering it entails. Apparently for the 49er staff, that includes making the correct protection calls. Presumably they were only calling plays that he already knew.
  • rob28
  • Veteran

cosign, great post lol!
wait for the...but that 65 yard pass was amazing man he's the best qb EVERZ!!! take away that 65 yard pass(which was BEAUTIFUL & I LOVED IT) and he has a horrible day playing qb.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
im glad some of you arent in the front office.

yes, especially the thread starter.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
This is my new favorite thread

Mine, too.

• fryet
  • Veteran
These Nate Davis supporters are funny. Even suggesting that Nate Davis be put on the practice squad is causing their heads to explode. Maybe instead of just calling me crazy or stupid, you can instead give a reasoned response on why it would be a bad idea?

Here is an example of what I think would be a great response to such a question:

Premise: Put Alex Smith on the practice squad (No I am not proposing this, just giving it as an example)
Response: As a former first overall pick, some team is likely to grab Alex from the practice squad just to see if a change of environment would enable him to succeed (see David Carr as an example). Alex Smith is very smart and could pick up another team's playbook quickly, making him an attractive option for a team lacking QB depth. Alex Smith has shown that he can win games as a starting QB. Alex Smith is not practice squad eligible.
Every 2nd year QB should know the entire playbook. As for "mastering" it, I think it is open to debate on what mastering it entails. Apparently for the 49er staff, that includes making the correct protection calls. Presumably they were only calling plays that he already knew.

We have found the special learning devices that the coaching staff uses for Nate.

These Nate Davis supporters are funny. Even suggesting that Nate Davis be put on the practice squad is causing their heads to explode. Maybe instead of just calling me crazy or stupid, you can instead give a reasoned response on why it would be a bad idea?

Here is an example of what I think would be a great response to such a question:

Premise: Put Alex Smith on the practice squad (No I am not proposing this, just giving it as an example)
Response: As a former first overall pick, some team is likely to grab Alex from the practice squad just to see if a change of environment would enable him to succeed (see David Carr as an example). Alex Smith is very smart and could pick up another team's playbook quickly, making him an attractive option for a team lacking QB depth. Alex Smith has shown that he can win games as a starting QB. Alex Smith is not practice squad eligible.

this would require time and knowledge, which haters lack...
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thrash88:
meh if anything put the Brown kid on the practice squad .

Can't we just refer to the QB's by their numbers? Seems a little insensitive:)
[ Edited by Nuns on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:06 AM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Double post
[ Edited by Nuns on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:10 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone