LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 347 users in the forums

Can you see Zeigler becoming our #2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Josh Morgan has zero receptions (Zeigler has 4) in the preseason, but I'm not sure that means anything of substance. Crabtree, Davis and Gore are being rested, so maybe Morgan is as well by not having any balls thrown in his directions - I doubt it, but maybe.

On the flipside, there is Dominique, who gets nothing but positive remarks from the coaches, the QBs and the press. As a spectator, I'd go as far as saying he has had the most impressive hands on this team for a few years as a WR in the preseason. On top of that, the coaches say he is an excellent route runner. And as we all know, he has more than adequate speed. The one thing he is missing is the NFL body, and I wonder if it is that characteristic, that risk of injury, that has made his battle so difficult for earning a spot on the roster.

Anyway, I'm high on Zeigler, and up and down with Morgan - mostly because of his inconsistency. What do you guys think, is there any chance Ziggy passes Morgan on the depth chart? I'm interested in hearing other fans' feedback.
As a receiver I think he's arguably better than Morgan already, but factor in the blocking and I think that's what is keeping Morgan ahead for the time being.
  • mod
  • Veteran
absolutely not
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Hes doing well enough to be the 6th receiver no more. I still think Jason Hill is much better receiver than whats been going on this preseason. Oh well if Zeigler or Hill are released, if I were them I would try and hit up Chicago for a job. They seem to be a lot more comfortable in Martz' offense.
  • hps49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I definitely believe Zeigler has the chance of coming up in the WR ranks. He tore it up yesterday.
Beware of the Parking Lot Wolves!
Remember, it is never good to act certain when it comes to having opinions on professional athletes. In 2008, there were many cries from the fan base to severe its ties with Vernon Davis. In 2009, there were many fans who were certain Shaun Hill was a superior QB to Alex Smith. In 2010, there are those who are absolutely certain Heitmann is the best player on the team, even thought others disagree.

As for Josh Morgan, his greatest moment as a 49er came when he fell on a Gore fumble late in the game against Chicago last year. Is that enough for our #2 WR? Yes, I am aware that Morgan is regarded as a good blocker, but is that really the top quality we want out of our wide receiver, the guy who is supposed to catch balls and move chains?

I'm sorry, but this is 2010. The teams that are winning championships can move the ball through the air. We've got a back that can run with little blocking help and an improving O-line. I don't believe we need our WR to be better at blocking than catching balls at this point if we intend to be a balance offense. At least that is my argument.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Hes doing well enough to be the 6th receiver no more. I still think Jason Hill is much better receiver than whats been going on this preseason. Oh well if Zeigler or Hill are released, if I were them I would try and hit up Chicago for a job. They seem to be a lot more comfortable in Martz' offense.

Chicago has a lot better receivers than us, so I doubt they're in need. But I do agree on Hill. I prefer him over Morgan as well, but all accounts make it seem as if he is on his way out. My money says he ends up on the Hawks if he gets cut.
# 3 or 4 I'm concerned about his size/duribility getting hit by the big boys...

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Chicago has a lot better receivers than us, so I doubt they're in need. But I do agree on Hill. I prefer him over Morgan as well, but all accounts make it seem as if he is on his way out. My money says he ends up on the Hawks if he gets cut.

i know we dont have the best core but to say that chicago's wrs are a lot better is a stretch

I hope you're not serious...
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

I hope you're not serious...

Why? I can't be honest. Knox, Hester, Aromashadu, Bennett... they can all play. I'd take Crabtree over all of them, but as a unit, I'd take their guys over ours.
Josh Morgan has zero receptions (Zeigler has 4) in the preseason, but I'm not sure that means anything of substance. Crabtree, Davis and Gore are being rested, so maybe Morgan is as well by not having any balls thrown in his directions - I doubt it, but maybe.

On the flipside, there is Dominique, who gets nothing but positive remarks from the coaches, the QBs and the press. As a spectator, I'd go as far as saying he has had the most impressive hands on this team for a few years as a WR in the preseason. On top of that, the coaches say he is an excellent route runner. And as we all know, he has more than adequate speed. The one thing he is missing is the NFL body, and I wonder if it is that characteristic, that risk of injury, that has made his battle so difficult for earning a spot on the roster.

Anyway, I'm high on Zeigler, and up and down with Morgan - mostly because of his inconsistency. What do you guys think, is there any chance Ziggy passes Morgan on the depth chart? I'm interested in hearing other fans' feedback.

Na don't see it happening Morgan has gotten off to a slow start but I thinks its just been do to circumstance. Gotta remember even though Morgan starts the Niners use 2 TE sets so much hes usually just the 3rd sometimes 4th option at best when its a pass play. I Dont think they look at there second receiver in this offense as more than a willing blocker and somebody that doesnt mind only have a few ball thrown his way a game. Not saying I agree but its just how Rayes offense seems to work.
Share 49ersWebzone