Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Brandon Jones RELEASED

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
So what's everyone's thoughts... Hill or Zeigler or Both (6 WRs)?

I'd start a poll but I will wait until after the 4th pre season game because it's too early. Looks like Brian Da La Puenta edged out Chris Patrick at guard. Can the guy still be a practice squad member? He was on ours before KC signed him to their roster.

tough call. I'd keep both just because I believe Hill can be pretty good if given the chance.

Neither has been that productive. Zeigler has had a chance to make the team since 07. I'm really up in the air with this one. Hill seems to produce when given the chance but when does that happen? Zeigler seems to be the over achiever who might not have as much potential but I think the coaches will give him more chances. I don't want to keep both and having 6 WRs if it means cutting someone like Boone, Briggs, Bruce Davis, Reggie Smith, etc that could have more potential in the long run. Personally, I think we keep 5.

Briggs and Smith will not be cut IMO...and Boone is getting close to being a lock as well.

True but someone who might deserve a roster spot more than Zeigler/Hill might not get it if we keep both. Curtis Taylor could be on the list as well. Bottom line if we keep 6 wrs one other position is going to be cut short. Brit Miller might be another example...

I think we carry 5 unless a late injury happens.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Hill will be next, count it!

It's pretty obvious that they are sure that Ziggy can field punts, I dont think the Niners care about his return capabilities. I see him as being the "sure thing" in terms of catching the punt, and just faircatching it all the time. Sing knows he has ball security with him.

Unless Hill has a great game I dont see him displacing Ziggy.

Also on a side note, Im really rooting for Jurovich to make the PS, I think he's got the athleticism to make it, and Im biased since he played at my HS, unfortch I never played with him as he was a freshman the year after I graduated.

I am thinking about Hill will be next that too.. I saw Hill didn't catch the ball last sunday. He looks like scared it.. F**k him that cowards!.. I hate that they didn't catch the ball cuz they are damn cowards!!
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
That was a wasted experimented. He was pretty much a Jonas Jennings replica

WTF? Jonas Jennings actually played (very well when he was healthy/on the field, especially 2006).

True...The $$$ we spent for such little play is what makes it a sore spot.

BTW...Nice to see us getting rid or the wastetoids..

They are getting weeded out one by one. We are much more talented this year than last. A lot of guys who didn't play up to par are either benched or gone this year.

You gotta love it. Sing knows football. He knows who should start, who should sit, and who should be shipped

we'll see. Balmer's big knock wasn't his talent but his effort. So if our "motivational" coach can't get him to play, why is he here.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by saniner:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Who does that leave us at WR?

I think Crabs, Morgan, Ginn, Hill, Zeigler, and Williams will stick

cosigned.

I don't think we keep 6 WR. Especially if we are keeping the 3 RB and Mrob on the active roster. Hill or Ziegler will get cut. I don't think we need Mrob because his only value is ST but if he sticks Hill or Ziegler will go.

Zeigler is never going to be anything in the NFL. If you can't even make the team in three years, a team mostly devoid of WR talent like the 49ers have been until now no less, you're just not that good. Going undrafted and then not making an opening day roster three years in a row is never a good sign. Not to mention the fact that no one has signed him off the practice squad when he's been available sitting there for all but a handful of games over those years. He's lucky he's been able to stick around this long.

Williams is going to be out "for at least a few weeks" with his toe. I can't see a late-round rookie, that really hasn't seen any action, missing 3+ preseason games with an injury making the team over Jason Hill. Although I do see them giving him the nod over Zeigler most likely because of his special teams value.

Or, they could keep all 6. Especially if there are any WR injuries before the season starts.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
yay

ALMOST ALL THE DREADED SINS OF MCCLOUGHAN ARE CLEANSED!!!

Exactly! Now all we need to do is dump Frank Gore and Willis. Let the new era begin..
Kid's got lots of talent but could never stay healthy...
Originally posted by susweel:
Good job this year of getting rid of the dead weight from the roster.

Just two more to go.

Michael Robinson
Cody Wallace
Originally posted by WerschingMachine:
Originally posted by susweel:
Good job this year of getting rid of the dead weight from the roster.

Just two more to go.

Michael Robinson
Cody Wallace

Moran Norris also
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
That was a wasted experimented. He was pretty much a Jonas Jennings replica

WTF? Jonas Jennings actually played (very well when he was healthy/on the field, especially 2006).

True...The $$$ we spent for such little play is what makes it a sore spot.

BTW...Nice to see us getting rid or the wastetoids..

They are getting weeded out one by one. We are much more talented this year than last. A lot of guys who didn't play up to par are either benched or gone this year.

You gotta love it. Sing knows football. He knows who should start, who should sit, and who should be shipped

we'll see. Balmer's big knock wasn't his talent but his effort. So if our "motivational" coach can't get him to play, why is he here.

Where did you read that? Last years off season it was touted that he was following J.Smith around like a puppy dog and working his tail off. Then he got hurt. This year he just got back into OTAs and he wasn't even out of shape. I really think Balmer may have been a victim of expectations and circumstance, much like Ted Ginn. I think he will be a good player in the 4-3, but probably not worthy of a first round pick. However, keep in mind that dlineman can take a few years to develop. Look at Franklin and Soap for that matter.
mattbarrows: Singletary: ā€œIā€™d like to thank Brandon for the effort he put forth during his time with the 49ers. Letting Brandon go at this point will allow him the opportunity to latch on with another team. We wish him all the best in the future.ā€
Nolan weeded out Erickson's trash and Sing is doing/did the same with Nolan's guys. Same with Baalke cleaning up some of McCloughan's messes.

The "purge continues"....
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Kid's got lots of talent but could never stay healthy...

Never stay healthy? He was only here for one year and broke his shoulder in camp (after looking like the best WR we had until that point). Once he was healthy they were just not going to put him in there. Between Bruce/Morgan and Crabtree/Morgan they just would not put Jones in the game, but he was healthy all year from week 3 or 4 if I remember correctly.

They rarely had more than 2 WRs on the field at the same time and Raye just never took Crabtree/Bruce or Morgan out. Dude got hurt, got healthy, and never got another shot.

Just saying the idea that he didn't play last year because he couldn't stay healthy is not true. He was healthy for most of the season, they just wouldn't put him in the game.
Originally posted by highway49:
Nolan weeded out Erickson's trash and Sing is doing/did the same with Nolan's guys. Same with Baalke cleaning up some of McCloughan's messes.

The "purge continues"....

They better win this season or the next regime will be cleaning out Sing and Balke's trash next season.
Another rotten McCloughan signing. Thank goodness both of them are gone.
goodbye brandon, we hardly knew ye'