LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Brandon Jones RELEASED

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hill will be next, count it!

It's pretty obvious that they are sure that Ziggy can field punts, I dont think the Niners care about his return capabilities. I see him as being the "sure thing" in terms of catching the punt, and just faircatching it all the time. Sing knows he has ball security with him.

Unless Hill has a great game I dont see him displacing Ziggy.

Also on a side note, Im really rooting for Jurovich to make the PS, I think he's got the athleticism to make it, and Im biased since he played at my HS, unfortch I never played with him as he was a freshman the year after I graduated.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
So what's everyone's thoughts... Hill or Zeigler or Both (6 WRs)?

I'd start a poll but I will wait until after the 4th pre season game because it's too early. Looks like Brian Da La Puenta edged out Chris Patrick at guard. Can the guy still be a practice squad member? He was on ours before KC signed him to their roster.

tough call. I'd keep both just because I believe Hill can be pretty good if given the chance.

Neither has been that productive. Zeigler has had a chance to make the team since 07. I'm really up in the air with this one. Hill seems to produce when given the chance but when does that happen? Zeigler seems to be the over achiever who might not have as much potential but I think the coaches will give him more chances. I don't want to keep both and having 6 WRs if it means cutting someone like Boone, Briggs, Bruce Davis, Reggie Smith, etc that could have more potential in the long run. Personally, I think we keep 5.

Briggs and Smith will not be cut IMO...and Boone is getting close to being a lock as well.

True but someone who might deserve a roster spot more than Zeigler/Hill might not get it if we keep both. Curtis Taylor could be on the list as well. Bottom line if we keep 6 wrs one other position is going to be cut short. Brit Miller might be another example...
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
That was a wasted experimented. He was pretty much a Jonas Jennings replica

WTF? Jonas Jennings actually played (very well when he was healthy/on the field, especially 2006).

True...The $$$ we spent for such little play is what makes it a sore spot.

BTW...Nice to see us getting rid or the wastetoids..
Originally posted by jones49:

WTF? Jonas Jennings actually played (very well when he was healthy/on the field, especially 2006).

They are getting weeded out one by one. We are much more talented this year than last. A lot of guys who didn't play up to par are either benched or gone this year.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Mrob should be next.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by saniner:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Who does that leave us at WR?

I think Crabs, Morgan, Ginn, Hill, Zeigler, and Williams will stick

cosigned.

I don't think we keep 6 WR. Especially if we are keeping the 3 RB and Mrob on the active roster. Hill or Ziegler will get cut. I don't think we need Mrob because his only value is ST but if he sticks Hill or Ziegler will go.
McDrunk's gonna have Seattle's GM sign Jones in 3...2...1...
Originally posted by susweel:
Mrob should be next.
Originally posted by jones49:

They are getting weeded out one by one. We are much more talented this year than last. A lot of guys who didn't play up to par are either benched or gone this year.

You gotta love it. Sing knows football. He knows who should start, who should sit, and who should be shipped

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Niners99:
I hate when your team is like "were going to sign this guy", and you know its a horrible decision, and then they do it anyways, and give him way too much money. we all KNEW from the beginning that Jones sucked and wasnt worth 16 mil. anyone who knew anything about football knew this. you could see it coming from a mile away, but they still did it.

and now he gets released, having been a total waste of time and money, and I think......now if I knew that was a stupid move before it happened, WHY ON EARTH didnt the 49ers front office know this...

you cant predict injuries, who knows what he could have done if he stayed healthy and we signed him before we drafted crabtree so it was a need at the time.

Oh well what can you do, the good thing is we finally have some depth at WR to allow for such a move

This, its not Jones fault....I wish him well wherever he plays next, hopefully not in the NFC West....although I can see that happening in Seattle or St Louis
Originally posted by redngold21:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I think that if I was Jason Hill I'd be worried also.

exactly

Crabtree
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziegler

What has Williams and Ziegler shown that makes Hill's job in jeopordy? Hill contibuted in the regular season and made some plays Williams is a rookie and Ziegler has been on the practice squad the past few years. I still think Hill is firmly entrenched as the #4 receiver. The battle is between ziegler and williams imo. IF Ziegler doesn't take the next step this year then he will probably get released. I don't think he is eligible for the practice squad again although I could be wrong.

Hill has done hardly anything other then get hurt every season. Zeig and Williams have been impressing coaches all training camp so Hills neck is on the line.

Hill was a BIG part of winning a couple regular season NFL games in 2008.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
McDrunk's gonna have Seattle's GM sign Jones in 3...2...1...

Nolan weeded out Erickson's trash and Sing is doing/did the same with Nolan's guys. Same with Baalke cleaning up some of McCloughan's messes.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by saniner:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Who does that leave us at WR?

I think Crabs, Morgan, Ginn, Hill, Zeigler, and Williams will stick

cosigned.

It's going to be a tough decision whether to keep 5 WRs or 6 WRs. At this point, I think that Ziegler has the edge over Hill and that Hill gets cut.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone