LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

The signing of Brian Westbrook... LOVE IT or HATE IT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The signing of Brian Westbrook... LOVE IT or HATE IT?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't see how he helps us at all. He's mainly a receiver out of the backfield. So with that you need good QB play. And ours is very inconsistent. Plus Gore is the bell cow back so he won't see many touches.

He is a better runner than coffee so that helps us there already.

He is known as a great locker room guy, obvious upgrade over coffee considering he retired bc he doesn't care about football

And he is the best 3rd down b ack we have had in years bc he is a good receiver.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
...My only worry is that we let him slide like we did Kory Sheets just to let Robinson have another shot. I hope he gets a good amount of carries against the Vikes 1st D(good run D) so we can see him against some better quality opponents.

You don't even know what you're talkin about my man. Sheets got away because we took TOO MANY freaking Backs in that draft. We took what 4? Were they ALL going to be Starters if we let a Pro Bowl calibur ST player go?

You're nuts if you think this. Sheets did WHAT exactly that warrants this idol worship? We know what MRob can do. His only problem is he doesn't get the carries cause we have to Draft a 10 Backs an offseason.

F@CK! I've had it. I'm done with 9er Talk until we get a better class of knowledge around this place.

Balmer was crap cause he couldn't break the Starting Lineup() MRob sucks nevermind that he was running behind the same Line that Frank ran behind and didn't get the carries so his 3.4 YPC is inflated cause he Rushed 3 times on ST...

HOLY HELL THIS PLACE HAS GONE TO SH@T!

Newsflash!!!!!!!! This ain't Madden and YOU AIN"T LOMBARDI!!!!

If you don't use your brains for nothing more than a hat rack then you shouldn't even consider making a comment. Period.

My apologies for any exaggeration that it took to get my point across.

~Ceadder
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't see how he helps us at all. He's mainly a receiver out of the backfield. So with that you need good QB play. And ours is very inconsistent. Plus Gore is the bell cow back so he won't see many touches.

He is a better runner than coffee so that helps us there already.

He is known as a great locker room guy, obvious upgrade over coffee considering he retired bc he doesn't care about football

And he is the best 3rd down b ack we have had in years bc he is a good receiver.

This times infinity

Can’t count how many times Frank has busted a 70 some yard run and need to come out of the game only to have the team stumble at the goal line and settle for three.

Don’t think too many teams fear Mrob coming in the game but they’ll think twice when Westbrook is in there.

Shoot Frank and Westbrook in at the same time with the STD’s Crabs and VD man who ya gonna stop?

I got three words

Chaaaaaaaaaaaam
Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiion
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip
This is a great signing. It just ads to Gores arsenal and Dixons.
I guessed that they might go after him while watching the game on sunday. Why would he want to go to the rams? Besides, 49ers offense needs a back like him. He maybe the missing link to our back field. Look at the giants when the won the super bowl and even the saints last year they both had veratile back fields.
i voted like it i think if he can play to half his qualitys it is a upgrade but i also like dixon and this signing puts dixon back to 3rd string which i think is a little kick in gutt to dixon after his amazing display at weekend but having another vet to learn from can be a bonus and he may even compete for second still
people are mad b/c of Dixson bieng pushed back, but at least #2 isnt Robinson
I was with this before Coffee retired.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=143883&page=1
  • titan
  • Veteran
I love the Westbrook signing. Westbrook has always been a very explosive player on every touch. His problem always has been his injuries. Worse case scenario is we are back with Gore and Dixon, Can't be too mad at that! I think Gore will get majority of the touches, but Dixon will get his share. It's going to be a long grind out year and with having such a young O-line it's a good way to mask out our deficiencies by pounding the football with Gore and Dixon while we set up screens for Westbrook.
This a great signing--we can't lose. BW can spell Gore and we don't have to worry about pass protection, plus he is the single best RB I have ever seen when it comes to turning a screen pass into a big gain. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt and we are back where we thought we were 2 days ago with a promising rookie at RB and MRob--so be it. In the meantime we have added a dimension to our offense that we havent had since Charlie Garner.....

• mayo49
  • Veteran
It's a great signing. He can mentor Dixon and if he gets hurt we'll just be back to Gore and Dixon. Low risk, high reward.
Good move. Incentive landen contract. He won't be asked to carry the team a lot, so this lessens the chance of injury, but at least the drop off in run pass or protection won't drop off as much him in their. If he still has his jets (legs), the people on D will be wheezing.

However lets see if he still has his legs under him before we annoit this as good or bad.
There's really nothing here not to like about the deal. I mean, adding a veteran with a winning history and no track record of being a bad teammate is kind of a no-brainer, especially when a team is in a position like the 49ers.

Sure, there's concerns about his health and should he be pressed into full-time duty, which I'm almost certain he will be at some point, then we'll have to just hold our breath and hope for the best. At the very least, he has every possibility to be just as productive and probably even more valuable to his team as does LT in New York.

Plus, you've gotta love two very talented and accomplished vets in camp showing by example what it takes to get it done at the pro level to a young guy like Dixon. If Dixon is as talented as some make him out to be, working with these two could be a career-maker.
get as much mileage out of him as we can until Dixon is ready. If Gore needs a blow or misses a game we have a good vet to carry the load or at least share it with Dixion.
Share 49ersWebzone