There are 179 users in the forums

what you liked and didnt like ( PRESEASON WEEK 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I'm disappointed in Alex Smith for muffing that Punt Return.

I'm disappointed in Alex Smith for fumbling the ball on the first play from scrimmage.

I'm just pissed Alex Smith didn't make the sun shine today!
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Our 1st team is an absolute joke of a team. Honestly I think our 2nd and 3rd team are better even though they are going against backups... And our return game is still full of problems.

We have a good backup RB. Who needs Coffee?...

Yeah our 1st team definitely struggled, and our 2-3 units dominated the Colts.

The whole 1st team offense wasn't on the field. Hard to make any serious judgment on them as a whole

Exactly.

Yeah and I agree, just seeing what happened today, with the personnel we had the first group struggled. But without Gore and Crabtree, and not really running a gameplan the odds were against them from the beginning. I'm defintely not a "the season is over after 1 preseason game" fan. Lots of work to do, but not a bad start to the season for the niners!

Pros: Dixon is a beast running the rock. Pass blocking wasn't bad and he is a willing learner. David Carr will be a good reliable back up. OL is getting a good push in the run game and for the most part did ok. Defense is awesome,especially vs he run. Kyle Williams reminds me of rossum but younger... He guy is quick.

Cons: Anthony Davis needs a lot of work on his pass pro. Center exchange was good but Baas missed a couple of assignments. Robinson is not a RB and that was pretty obvious today. Too many dropped passes today.

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Aug 15, 2010 at 15:36:45 ]
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Like: Dixon, Carr

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

If Smith remains starter for the rest of the year, we're in big trouble........

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

Walker touched it so he was able to get it, he dropped it.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

What a great rule..............
Liked on offense:
-the overall progress of our O-line. I was expecting some serious ugly but they did well. Run blocking I was really surprised with. Everybody seems to be progressing well on that front. Pass protect got a little sketch on the right side but all in all, they look like they've done the homework.

-can't say enough about Dixon. Good vision, ran hard and held on to the rock. Looked a little gassed at times but he logged a lot of carries. Thank you Glen Coffee

-Carr looked really uncomfortable to start but settled down. Still like to see em try and complete something other than a 5 yard square out or a swing route. Did execute a couple really nice screens. He's new to the offense and it was a good first time out.

-Nate Davis looked comfortable inside the pocket, on roll outs strong side/weak side whatever. Doesn't throw the most catchable ball sometimes but it's there and that's the most important thing.

Didn't like on offense:
-Anthony Davis had some trouble. Mathis is no slouch but AD couldn't handle the speed a couple of times. Also got himself turned around with his back towards the defense on an outside run. I missed the entire replay but basically it looked like he over ran his block and then compounded the mistake by turning around and trying to pick up the block he missed; never blocked anybody on the play. It was just one play but he looked pretty lost. Still early but he was the weak link today.

-Smitty's accuracy cost us 1 big play for sure. Misfired again on a pass to the flat but the back got his felangies on it. The pick was a little aggressive for my taste but the ball was there. Probably not the best decision but I think the receiver got his hands on it so whatever.

-M Rob's fumble yuck! Legs stopped moving because of an arm tackle, pad level horrible. Chalk that one up to not being awake yet I guess. Do it better.

-the drops chil' please

-I think Tom Brady might run a faster 40 than Byham. How he worked himself open twice is beyond me

Liked on defense:
-a little different look from last year. A little more aggressive letting the LB's bounce around on the line.

-got some serious penetration on a bunch of running plays. RJF handled his (piss off Franklin)

-all the INT's.

-really like Wilhelm. Around the ball, tackled well.

-really really liked Briggs. Wow! Awesome int. (if he doesn't fumble it back to the Colts). Good bull rush from both sides and he tackled. Might have us a playmaker. See what he does with this momentum; he should feel good about today.

Didn't like on defense:
-early on the first team did a bad job of disguising blitz. Second team did much better but they didn't have to play Payton Manning so take it for what it is I guess.

-Reggie Smith made some good plays but on his knockdown in the endzone on the 1st drive, I woulda liked to see em get that head around quicker and locate the ball. Probably got a little lucky there but he did make the play.

-same old same old on the outside pass rush. First team was run wide handily and Payton owned us. Briggs has a lot to prove but he deserves a chance after the game he had.

-Mays is a tackling missile but I think he needs to reign it in a little. He almost missed a couple times.

Liked on ST:
-Williams had a nice little slashing punt return and looks pretty explosive overall. Could do better on kickoffs though.

Didn't like on ST:
-kick coverage sucks but everybody's kick coverage sucks right now.

-#18 can F right off. His turnover was stupid.

-the kicker didn't miss but he was barely making everything. I wonder if that was by design to test his accuracy? Nothing less challenging than making extra points right down the middle.

[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Aug 15, 2010 at 16:42:10 ]

Dislike: Smith, Smith, and more Smith. Still cant get it done. Looks scared under pressure. Off target on majority of his passes.........3/9 for 37 yards YIKES !

Swing to MRob was very catchable, just rewatched it. And Walked dropped the ball!!

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch to make in traffic.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a receiver for an interruption. Every ball that a receiver touches does not make it a good pass.

Doesn't have to be a perfect pass, it was catchable. Rule 1, you touch it you catch it. He had his hands on it and didn't bring it down, that's what his job is.

What a great rule..............

Your thrill of talking s**t about Smith is well known. Passes don't have to be perfect for a WR or TE to catch them. I'm assuming you never played ball on a high level, hence your short sightedness with this team and what players are expected to do. Its already been stated by Sing that, that ball was catchable. And that rule was taught to me as a kid by coaches who played college ball as well. If you want to pick a play to criticize him on make it one where he was at fault.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Our 1st team is an absolute joke of a team. Honestly I think our 2nd and 3rd team are better even though they are going against backups... And our return game is still full of problems.

We have a good backup RB. Who needs Coffee?...

Yeah our 1st team definitely struggled, and our 2-3 units dominated the Colts.

The whole 1st team offense wasn't on the field. Hard to make any serious judgment on them as a whole

Isn't that what Niner Talk is for? To crown scrubs in to the hall of fame and blast inconsistent play resulting from rookie starters?
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I'm disappointed in Alex Smith for fumbling the ball on the first play from scrimmage.

The only thing tht the game showed is that our reserves are better than their reserves.
i wanted to see a taylor mays highlight, disappointed i didn't

Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Haha

I don't know what you are seeing here but that does not look like a very good pass to me. It seems more like a good effort by Walker than a good pass. Alex seems to have a bistory of these types of interceptions as his timing looks a bit off and I don't know if Walker was even the best option on this play. Regardless, it is a tough catch tomake in traffic.

I am not personally attacking you when I say this; but that is some of the dumbest reasoning used to blame a reciever for an interption. Every ball that a reciever touches does not make it a good pass.

No. Rule 1 is that you make the decision to throw the ball to the right man and that your throw be good enough for him to catch it. It was a bad pass and he made a good effort to catch it. plain and simple.

I disagree. That pass while not perfect, was plenty good enough for Walker to come down with it. IMO he heard footsteps and let his conecentration lapse.

I am of the opinion that it's likely we will be drafting Smiths replacement in April, but having said that I would blame Walker more for that int than I would Smith.
Originally posted by teeohh:
i wanted to see a taylor mays highlight, disappointed i didn't

Can't remember the exact play but he did make a tackle by himself out in space. He came flying in and made a diving stab at the ball carriers legs. Real aggressive tackle and he almost wiffed it but he got em for a loss if I remember right.
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for Grigga2021.
Reggie Smith can cover....We are much deeper then the colts.
i'de say to be fair alex deserves a longer look then a few drives but he did not impress today. He was kept in longer then most will be kept in for week 1 preseason and frankly he needed to stay in longer. No sense of that offseason command turning into in-season play. as always before, not all his fault but he does more to make the offense worse then he does to make it better. You'de love for your qb to be the best player on that side of the ball but when he's the weak link of it, spells trouble.

As far as the team, I just can't believe that was a first string offense thats been having ota's and two weeks of training camp all to build off of last year's progress. I didn't expect a gold standard but more then anything, that looked like a team thats having a training camp thats a reflection of all the negative headlines they have had as of late with coffee, balmer, injuries...there wasn't much feeling of any development off of last year, no real moments of crispness. I feel like i am watching an offense install a new offense yet again, not one building and getting better off of its strides last year. Against vanilla sets, I think they had one first down in three possessions and even that came against second stringers. Anything that happened offensively after alex and the starters left was irrelevant to me. Starters vs starters, we were losing 10-0.

good news? obviously dixon, been stressed about that backup spot. wasn't a coffee fan, he was a dime a dozen rb but it actually seemed like there was a cliff of a dropoff from him to his backups. had been hoping for a look at some of the veteran rbs out there and it still may not be a bad idea but unless this game was an aberation, dixon could very well be a solid bonafide backup rb.

positives-some impressive individual performances from some players...dixon offcourse but also liked briggs, smith the safety...i thought rjf held his own which is a lot of development coming from hardly playing last year.

cons-a lack of development in the team in general. They don't look like a team building off of something yet. defenses play vanilla sets so hard to accuse them of anything but offense doesn't look any different then last year thru this game. It's okay and understandable to not look well-oiled in 1st preseason game but i thought with this team's recent history of offensive ineptitude, they needed to show better then they did.

also, in the 'duh' category, anthony davis has a mountain to climb before he is a relevant player. He just did not look good at all. You would hope he was a 'he will hold his own because of his talent but will make rookie mistakes here and there' but he wasn't up to that level today. He's not starting because he deserves to over the next guy, he's there because of his draft spot and because he looks like a guy who could use all the reps he can get, as fast he can get them.
Share 49ersWebzone