There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Davis is not ready, they grabbed him early because they thought someone else wood. He wouldn't even be a senior in college. Like I said in another post, LT - Boone LG- Iupati, C= Goodwin move Davis to RG and Staley to RT. When Staley was drafted, it was to eventually play RT anyway. Play Davis at G this year and let him work on his pass blocking. By next year he might be ready for RT or he may find a home at RG.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He really sucks. And so does Chilo. Together they are a disastrous right side.

I agree. Our O-line performance made me during our first pre-season game. Chilo is garbage; Anthony still looks like a rookie drafted way to early...
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

How is this funny? Sims has out performed Staley 2 years in a row. Boone can't be any worse than Davis.

Incite away
Kwame Harris says Anthony Davis is a bust.
If you taped the game last night go back and watch Boone. He looked quick, athletic, fluid and did not quit. He played at least 2-3 quaters of solid football. His pass blocking was really good and his run blocking was sharp
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Kwame Harris says Anthony Davis is a bust.

Gore had his best running years with Kwame playing--he just couldn't pass protect
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Singletary picked A. Davis. But Baalke did trade up to get him!
It's worrisome when your 7th rd pick (Person) looks better than the #1 pick
Person wasn't going up against Will Smith

True. I'm sure AD is better than Person. But AD looked bad, almost whiffed on Will Smith, was the #10 pick, and is not a rookie
The best 5 will start. I hope jim can figure out who they are and coach them up.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
If you taped the game last night go back and watch Boone. He looked quick, athletic, fluid and did not quit. He played at least 2-3 quaters of solid football. His pass blocking was really good and his run blocking was sharp

hope he takes Davis' job. havent see anything stand out is AD's game besides all of his miscues - missed assignments and getting outworked.
[ Edited by daWest on Aug 14, 2011 at 3:13 AM ]
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Gore had his best running years with Kwame playing--he just couldn't pass protect

That's kind of a big thing for a starting tackle in the NFL to be able to do, wouldn't you think?
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

How is this funny? Sims has out performed Staley 2 years in a row. Boone can't be any worse than Davis.

Incite away</img>

Sims is a turnstile, were you not watching two years ago when he gave up 8.5 sacks in 9 games?

The only way he's "outperformed" Staley is because he's been injured. Staley >>>>>>> Sims and it's not even close.

And you don't bench a second year player because he had a rough rookie season adapting to the NFL. Alex Boone is DEFINITELY not better. If he was, Harbaugh would be giving him the bulk of the reps over Davis.
Was at fan fest today.

This guy just struggles all around. He plays off way to much and allows the defender to get up field on him. Then it basically becomes a game of can he wash him up the field enough as to not get to the QB. Which he loses most of the time. He needs to engage sooner. Get his hands on the guy.

At Fan Fest today I thought our line struggled quite a bit. They get pushed around very easily.
I'm half way done with reviewing the Niner/Raiders game. The only thing I'm watching on offense is Anthony Davis. I've probably reviewed each snap an average of 2 or 3 times in slow motion. I'm not nearly as knowledgable as some of the gurus on the board when it comes to assignments, but most of the time it's pretty obvious who he should be blocking.

With that said, if you followed my post on Davis, you would know I've been a pretty big supporter. However, after this review I'm not even sure he has the talent to be a good lineman (Guard or tackle), let a lone a probowl NFL tackle. Here is what I've noticed. He doesn't have very good upper body strength. Every run play he struggles to keep his guy in front of him or direct him in any direction. Not one snap in this review did I witnes him move the defender off the ball. At best it seems to be a stalemate and often time his guy is beating him, but the RB escapes using change of direction. But most troubling of all, is his complete lack of awareness. I didn't count exactly, but far too often (maybe 50 percent) he is standing around looking for someone to hit, after his man has blown by him. The most commical play was Smith's long pass to Morgan. In that play, number 93 destroyed Smith right as he completed his pass. Guess what, that was Davis' man. The play started without any trickery, but Davis completly whiffed on a close range block. Davis went left and 93 gave him the old swim move (who even falls for that anymore?) After getting beat badly, he just stood their in open space as if to play it off like he didn't just blow his assignment. Plays like this are troubling, especially considering he wasn't even the outside blocker (He was capped off by Vernon Davis).I could go on with more examples, but you probably get the point. As of now, I dont want to give up on him, but IMO, the issues seem deeper than coaching. I hope I'm wrong..
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM ]
Certainly not looking good for the young man.
At this point, he has a long way to go to show that he's capable of being a NFL-caliber RT. His pre-season performance has been very underwhelming.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home