LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

What kind of receiver will Crabtree be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Crazy legs Crabtree!
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Elite: Hands. Body Control. Field Awarness.

He has average speed which will limit his YAC, but so what? His game is perfect for a Mike Singletary ball control offense. I predict this year he will demand double coverage. He is just too shifty for one man to cover and too smart for the zone.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
As a rookie I felt he reminded me of DERRICK MASON. Whom is a guy whom can catch 10 plus balls a game. With better chemistry with Alex he may remind us all of Chris Carter.
Originally posted by superman5:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm thinking in the mold of Michael Irvin.

U hit the nail on the head!!!

But with better attitude and not as much of a jackarse
He reminds me of Michael Irvin.
One who catches balls
If he has 6 inches of separation, he seems to have a way of making that ~18 inches just before the ball arrives. Body positioning? Sneaky burst of speed? He doesn't really push off of the defender but he does get that last ounce of separation just before the ball arrives. You can't teach that.
  • evil
  • Veteran
How do you know he is the catcher ?

Perhaps he is the pitcher, and in that case I'd compare him to Kazuhito Tadano.
one thing is apparent, and that is he has football instincts... something that will always beat out any physical attributes he may not have.

He is the type of receiver that keeps drives moving. You know how Peyton makes all his receivers look good, by throwing them open. Well, Michael will make his QB look good by catching anything around him.
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by Dominate:
the number 1 kind

Seriously. End of story.

In time, he could become the best WR in the league...he was in college. If you can find the TT-UT game of 2008, watch it. He snares a tough pass in the waning seconds to win it for the Red Raiders. It was typical of him...as others have said, great, strong hands. You figure, he was successful as a rookie without any type of meaningful off-season program. Just think what he'll be capable of after a full off-season, working w/Alex.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Very nice

This is the best quality youtube vid I've seen yet,and with excellent sound

You edit this yourself?

He didn't, but I did. ;-)

I spent 2 or three days putting it all together.

As for the question at hand, I really don't think he's scratched the surface of how good he will be. We saw him when he really had no idea what he was doing and was coming off an injury.

Imagine him with a full offseason, TC, and fully healthy.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by superman5:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm thinking in the mold of Michael Irvin.

U hit the nail on the head!!!

Please no!

Yes MI is a hof but I'll always remember him pushing off DB's and whining when calls didn't go his way,plus he was a coke head lol.

Once Alex Smith(or other QB)get their timing down with Crabs he will no doubt be an excellent WR for years to come

I'm talking about on the field only . . . most WR's whine about non-calls . . . no biggie . . . and his first TD against GB was helped by a subtle little push-off . . . whatever gets the job done.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
He reminds me of Cris Carter--one can only hope. Now if only we can find a Randy Moss....

Cris carter is who i thought of too.

Was thinking of Carter while scrolling down. Glad to see other people would make that comparison.

Cris CarterISH, yes, but he's not shown he has anywhere near the hands of a Cris Cater yet. Carter is widely regarded as having perhaps the best hands of any receiver, and Crabtree dropped too many last year to deserve the comparison quite yet. But I do see resemblances and time will tell if Crabs grows into the comparison. I'm as anxious as anyone to see what we trerally have in this young man now that he'll have an entier canmp and preseason to work with (not to mention a more comfortable Smith).
these are most the observations ive heard:

very michael irvin like
a tad slower version of steve smith (pathers steve smith)
a tad faster, wigglier version of anquan bolden
stronger/bigger version of wes welker

i can see the chris carter comparison too
Share 49ersWebzone