There are 227 users in the forums

What kind of receiver will Crabtree be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He will be a good possession receiver. He lacks top end speed to be a real burner, hopefully he can make up for that with superior route running skills.
Based on what we saw last season, Crabtree will be a possession receiver. He's not a burner and he has not shown yard-after-the-catch in the NFL.

Also, I don't know why some of you mentioned good or great hands.?. He was 16th in the league with 7 dropped passes (in a partial season!)! He showed some butter fingers......at times.

With Vernon Davis, Crabtree, and Ginn......the Niners have the most butterfingers in the entire league. Doh!!!! Davis was #1 and Ginn was #4.

Nevertheless, I still think Crabtree will be a good receiver. Based on last season, I'd say he's a # 1 1/2 to 2 receiver. Hopefully he'll improve with a training camp under his belt! :)

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232
Originally posted by swim4speed:
Based on what we saw last season, Crabtree will be a possession receiver. He's not a burner and he has not shown yard-after-the-catch in the NFL.

Also, I don't know why some of you mentioned good or great hands.?. He was 16th in the league with 7 dropped passes (in a partial season!)! He showed some butter fingers......at times.

With Vernon Davis, Crabtree, and Ginn......the Niners have the most butterfingers in the entire league. Doh!!!! Davis was #1 and Ginn was #4.

Nevertheless, I still think Crabtree will be a good receiver. Based on last season, I'd say he's a # 1 1/2 to 2 receiver. Hopefully he'll improve with a training camp under his belt! :)

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

JR had the dropsies his first couple years too but he turned out alright
Jerry only had butterfingers during his first season. Hopefully that will be the case with Crabtree too.

Davis and Ginn has proven to have permanent butterfingers. :(
heyward-bey aint on that list...........PRO BOWLERRR!!!!!

If you look at the list of most dropped balls you would see that every body is pretty close. The diffrence is like 3 or 4 balls from what I remember. Add that to the fact that a lot of the balls he caught where either way in front of him, behind him or almost in an impossible position next to the side line and you can still say the kid has great hands. Just look at the high light video.

Also, when I said he had elite hands I also meant in the way he catches the ball. Coming out of college Sing said he "attatcks" the ball. I never knew what he meant until I saw MC play. I think thats why he dominates CBs. They are use to recievers who wait for the ball to come to them so the DB times when to deflect the ball. I think CBs are thrown off by the fact that he doesn't sit and wait, he closes in on the ball and snags it out of the air.

P.S. I think calling him a "possesion reciever" does him an injustice. When I think of a possesion reciever I think Arnez Battle. MC doesn't have elite speed, maybe even blow average, but he is increadibly dynamic.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on May 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by superman5:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm thinking in the mold of Michael Irvin.

U hit the nail on the head!!!

Please no!

Yes MI is a hof but I'll always remember him pushing off DB's and whining when calls didn't go his way,plus he was a coke head lol.

Once Alex Smith(or other QB)get their timing down with Crabs he will no doubt be an excellent WR for years to come

Finally we agree on something Mr Motel.....
He will be great
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm thinking in the mold of Michael Irvin.

You got it!
... a wide receiver!
But seriously, he's going to be a lynch pin for this offense for years to come. Im glad we have him for OTAs and PS.

Because even with the drops he catches the ball exactly like it should be, but most receivers, even professionals, don't. He goes up and gets that ball out of the air, catches it with his hands textbook style. Hopefully the drops were just a rookie anomaly because he didn't do that at Texas Tech. Even as a freshman he showed a knack for textbook receiving of the ball.

I don't know if it's learned, natural, or a combo of both but he's got "it" and... rookies make mistakes.

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Very nice

This is the best quality youtube vid I've seen yet,and with excellent sound

You edit this yourself?

He didn't, but I did. ;-)

I spent 2 or three days putting it all together.

As for the question at hand, I really don't think he's scratched the surface of how good he will be. We saw him when he really had no idea what he was doing and was coming off an injury.

Imagine him with a full offseason, TC, and fully healthy.

Nice work on the vid

I think he reminds me of Rice a bit. Not elite speed, but gets open downfield with superior route-running ability. He turned a few corners completely around last year.
[ Edited by Godsleftsock on May 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM ]
Does Crabtree make good catches? Yes. Does he catch the ball properly, usually? Yes.
Does he have lapses in concentration which results in dropped passes? Yes.

Hopefully he'll get some stick 'em on his hands (or concentrate better) and reduce or eliminate the butterfingers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating. I like him and hope he does well. I hope he goes for over 80 catches and 1000 yards for this coming season. Will it happen? We'll see...
  • Pintor73
  • Info N/A
crabtree had a good season for a rookie he is going to be like an anquan boldin mold he made some great catches and some passes were behind him or somewhere else hopefully with a good offseason and training camp and some time well spent with alex smith they can trust each other and bring it to the next level alex will have a little more time to make better throws and they brought in ginn to keep those safeties honest who do you double that's what i like about smith he spreads the ball around well i see about 75 catches 10 td's
This season I would be happy with him having at least 70 catches and 9 tds minmum.
Reminds me of the GOAT
Share 49ersWebzone