There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What does Alex need to do this season to get a contract extension?

What does Alex need to do this season to get a contract extension?

these things will help him NOT get a contract extension

#1 lose! even if its not his fault!

#2 win! but have nothing to do with the win!

#3 not make the playoffs!

#4 NOT legally change your name to PHIL JENNINGS! hahaha

#5 good luck PHIL JENNINGS![/b]
He needs to play like Rogers or better.
Originally posted by FnkyPhantom:
You all have established good (and reasonable) tangible benchmarks for A.Smith to have to achieve in order for his services to be retained by the 49er's beyond 2010.

But I think "Kolohe" and "SouthoftheSlot9er" are on to something, when they hint that it's got to be more than just numbers for Niner management to offer Smith an extension. Smith needs to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaches; something that he doesn't truly have at this moment. He needs to show command of the offensive scheme and in the huddle during games. Wouldn't hurt to be a little more vocal in the locker room and off-the-field, without being a loudmouth. I realize that he's rather soft-spoken. Find ways to make his teammates better and successful. I recognize that he doesn't have complete control over every situation, but it's the intangibles as much as the actual "numbers" that are going to determine if he remains with the team in 2011 and beyond.

Seems he has that already at least according to the coaching staff, Morgan and VD.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,225
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Alex Smith must be better than Drew Brees and Peyton Manning combined

For me it's very simple: I need to see more consistency. I'm tired of seeing one or two quarters of really good football which rarely seems to be enough to over come all the three and outs and stalled drives against good teams.

If he just becomes more consistent the stats and playoffs will come.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,225
Originally posted by Draftology:
it's a combination of all of them. if he plays well, but the rest of the team doesn't and we don't make the playoffs he should still get an extension. but, if the rest of the team does really well, and he disappoints, he shouldn't get an extension.

IMO if he improves on last year's performance, he should get an extension. he is still one of the younger quarterbacks in the league and is only entering his prime.

Entering his prime.....
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,225
Originally posted by phresh:
Alex doesn't always have to win cames but he can never lose them.
He needs @ least 5 more TDs than int.
He doesn't have to be Peyton manning but he can be trent dilfer on the SB winning ravens.
Smith is not the type of QB who you ask to put the team on his shoulders. You simply ask him to
Play simple mistake free football.
Look @ Big Bens first 2 years, he only had like 17 TDs in each, they didn't ask him to win games
That just played simple, smash mouth, mistake free football.
I know Alex can do it and as a loyal fan I will stick by him until he makes a mistake lol!!!!
Then we an dump him off on some other team.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by FnkyPhantom:
You all have established good (and reasonable) tangible benchmarks for A.Smith to have to achieve in order for his services to be retained by the 49er's beyond 2010.

But I think "Kolohe" and "SouthoftheSlot9er" are on to something, when they hint that it's got to be more than just numbers for Niner management to offer Smith an extension. Smith needs to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaches; something that he doesn't truly have at this moment. He needs to show command of the offensive scheme and in the huddle during games. Wouldn't hurt to be a little more vocal in the locker room and off-the-field, without being a loudmouth. I realize that he's rather soft-spoken. Find ways to make his teammates better and successful. I recognize that he doesn't have complete control over every situation, but it's the intangibles as much as the actual "numbers" that are going to determine if he remains with the team in 2011 and beyond.

Seems he has that already at least according to the coaching staff, Morgan and VD.

Even Smith himself has acknowledged that what others are saying about his early annointment don't amount to a rat's a$#. It's up to him to show it on the field game after game after game and to gain a sense of consistency and a winning mentality. All this talk about stats and playoffs mean nothing if he can't lead this team week in and week out. When he gets that part of his functionality down, that's when we'll find out if he's our QB of the future.
Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by FnkyPhantom:
You all have established good (and reasonable) tangible benchmarks for A.Smith to have to achieve in order for his services to be retained by the 49er's beyond 2010.

But I think "Kolohe" and "SouthoftheSlot9er" are on to something, when they hint that it's got to be more than just numbers for Niner management to offer Smith an extension. Smith needs to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaches; something that he doesn't truly have at this moment. He needs to show command of the offensive scheme and in the huddle during games. Wouldn't hurt to be a little more vocal in the locker room and off-the-field, without being a loudmouth. I realize that he's rather soft-spoken. Find ways to make his teammates better and successful. I recognize that he doesn't have complete control over every situation, but it's the intangibles as much as the actual "numbers" that are going to determine if he remains with the team in 2011 and beyond.

Seems he has that already at least according to the coaching staff, Morgan and VD.

Even Smith himself has acknowledged that what others are saying about his early annointment don't amount to a rat's a$#. It's up to him to show it on the field game after game after game and to gain a sense of consistency and a winning mentality. All this talk about stats and playoffs mean nothing if he can't lead this team week in and week out. When he gets that part of his functionality down, that's when we'll find out if he's our QB of the future.

That is Smith telling everyone that he isn't letting praise go to his head, he knows that he has to earn it. It is obvious that the team is behind him, I am sure he is well liked and respected because of his work ethic, which is second to none, and the big reason I expect bigger and better things from the QB position this year.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Draftology:
it's a combination of all of them. if he plays well, but the rest of the team doesn't and we don't make the playoffs he should still get an extension. but, if the rest of the team does really well, and he disappoints, he shouldn't get an extension.

IMO if he improves on last year's performance, he should get an extension. he is still one of the younger quarterbacks in the league and is only entering his prime.

Entering his prime.....

Yep, he showed some flashes last year, something we hadnt seen period from him. I think he is starting to get it, he might just be a late bloomer.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Draftology:
it's a combination of all of them. if he plays well, but the rest of the team doesn't and we don't make the playoffs he should still get an extension. but, if the rest of the team does really well, and he disappoints, he shouldn't get an extension.

IMO if he improves on last year's performance, he should get an extension. he is still one of the younger quarterbacks in the league and is only entering his prime.

Entering his prime.....
When would you say a quarterback's prime is? I would say from age 26 to age 32. He just turned 26. So do you think he has already peaked?
Win!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Alex Smith must be better than Drew Brees and Peyton Manning combined

Must be.

And Phillip Rivers.

Really? So he needs to get the team to the Super Bowl and either win or come close to winning, like Manning and Brees...... That's a tall order. IMO leading the team to a division title and winning a playoff game should earn him a contract extension..........
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Alex Smith must be better than Drew Brees and Peyton Manning combined

Must be.

And Phillip Rivers.

Really? So he needs to get the team to the Super Bowl and either win or come close to winning, like Manning and Brees...... That's a tall order. IMO leading the team to a division title and winning a playoff game should earn him a contract extension..........

they were joking

For me he should get us to the playoffs with at least 85 passer rating if no playoffs he has to have over 90 passer rating
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Alex Smith must be better than Drew Brees and Peyton Manning combined

Must be.

And Phillip Rivers.

Really? So he needs to get the team to the Super Bowl and either win or come close to winning, like Manning and Brees...... That's a tall order. IMO leading the team to a division title and winning a playoff game should earn him a contract extension..........

they were joking

For me he should get us to the playoffs with at least 85 passer rating if no playoffs he has to have over 90 passer rating

Ok, those are more reasonable expectations for Alex Smith at this point in his career with the Niners..........