There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Willis signs 5 year extension

Originally posted by Youngone:
I don't know guys, do we really want someone who doesn't even know why they drafted them? I mean is that the kind of whiny individual we want mentoring our new players. I'm not sold on this extension. I feel like we over paid for an underachiever.

I am really hoping my sarcasm detector is on the fritz and that this post is exactly that.....
According to Doug Farrar of Yahoo! Sports, it appears Paraag Marathe used ingenuity to get Willis his deal.

49ers lock up Patrick Willis with some creative accounting

Quote:
There was only one problem with the compensation - while Willis deserved to be paid as the star he has become, there's a kink in the NFL's post-CBA landscape called the 30-percent rule. This rule, which kicked in once the NFL went to an uncapped year, states that no renegotiation or extension of a current contract may increase a player's base salary by more than 30 percent. But as Marvin Miller eventually did in defeating the reserve clause in baseball, 49ers chief negotiator Paraag Marathe (one of the new wave of "Moneyball guys") clearly saw the rule as a series of one-year agreements as opposed to an extending base. Thus, the team could increase Willis' base salary and further fund the new contract by giving him two different signing bonuses.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
What's the song in the beginning of the Willis highlight video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcA3uop9O64&feature=channel
Originally posted by GEEK:

"We Ready" from Ya Boy

edit: the very beginning song, I don't know, sorry.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on May 5, 2010 at 11:03:51 ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
I don't know guys, do we really want someone who doesn't even know why they drafted them? I mean is that the kind of whiny individual we want mentoring our new players. I'm not sold on this extension. I feel like we over paid for an underachiever.

I am really hoping my sarcasm detector is on the fritz and that this post is exactly that.....

Who could hate on Willis
I only have 1 problem with this deal. Why wasn't it a 10 year deal?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

"We Ready" from Ya Boy

thanks.

anyone know it?
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

"We Ready" from Ya Boy

thanks.

anyone know it?

It's Kanye West- Home coming
Originally posted by redrathman:
According to Doug Farrar of Yahoo! Sports, it appears Paraag Marathe used ingenuity to get Willis his deal.

49ers lock up Patrick Willis with some creative accounting

Quote:
There was only one problem with the compensation - while Willis deserved to be paid as the star he has become, there's a kink in the NFL's post-CBA landscape called the 30-percent rule. This rule, which kicked in once the NFL went to an uncapped year, states that no renegotiation or extension of a current contract may increase a player's base salary by more than 30 percent. But as Marvin Miller eventually did in defeating the reserve clause in baseball, 49ers chief negotiator Paraag Marathe (one of the new wave of "Moneyball guys") clearly saw the rule as a series of one-year agreements as opposed to an extending base. Thus, the team could increase Willis' base salary and further fund the new contract by giving him two different signing bonuses.

True. The people Patrick has been thanking most in his post extension interviews: Jed York and Paraag. I think Paraag's a smart guy.
As for Patrick, a class of an individual, great player, humble, had to work his way through to get to where he is and always gives credit to the coaches and the team.
We are lucky to have him on our team.
Man after seeing all those video interviews of Willis u can see that he is classy unselfish guy all about leaving it on the field the man has passion for the game
we are really lucky to have a great guy like him around here i wish all of our players would have the heart the Willis has we probably would easily win 5 championships in a row or even more

ohh yeah also love the fact that he was a Cowboy growing up & now he's a 49er
one more thing to stick it to the cowpukes BOOYA!!!!!!!

here to you Pat
SALUD!!!!

Originally posted by WINiner:

Who could hate on Willis

Valrod33 is always hate on Willis

[ Edited by BuZzB28 on May 5, 2010 at 16:44:32 ]
Adam Shein video on P Willis!!

For those fans interested in the structure of Willis' recently signed extension, Football Outsiders' J.I. Halsell has provided a comprehensive breakdown here.

I found this piece to be notable:

Quote:
To increase the value of the contract to a level fit for a premier linebacker, contract years 2014-2016 contain easily achievable escalators totaling slightly under $10.1 million. To achieve these escalators, the 49ers defense must improve its year-over-year ranking in any CBA approved defensive category, and this improvement only needs to occur once for achievement.
he is the man