There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I didnt want him in the first but at #49??? That is a hell of a pick for someone who is a 6-4 230 pound safety with ridiculous speed who likes to knock the s**t out of people.I think its a great pick at 49 and he has tremendous potential in the NFL.

I agree, tremendous value in the 2nd round. Try going over the middle against Willis/Goldson/Mays.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by ianna:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So we drafted a cheap version of Michael Lewis.

What is wrong with Michael Lewis?

Nothing's wrong with Lewis: he's a good rover for us and, IMO, Mays is molded in the same fashion. I hoped we would have picked up more of a speedier, coverage-type safety. Not really ecstatic about this pick, but I hope Mays' performance proves my doubts wrong.

I think Mays has plenty of speed

Mays problem isn't speed. It's his liability in coverage.

At #49, I'm ok with the pick. Not ecstatic but I can't see Mays starting from day 1. He does need to improve his ball skills.

-9fA
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Not happy or mad about the pick. Hopefully he can play.
Great interview with Ralph and Tom on KNBR. I know one thing, this kid will not lack motivation. He is pissed about being a second rounder. He would have been a top ten pick if he came out last year. Lost millions of dollars. Also, he is pissed at Carrol and will take it out on his hometown team, the Seachickens. He has a great work ethic. Just needs to work on his coverage badly. He is a physical guy, but he needs to work hard on coverage skills.
Mayn ALOT of you guys needs to stop actin like Mel Kiper..this is a good pick...it might not be the pick Sing wanted or many of you didnt like ..but its also sing who didnt like Patrick Willis...you guys need to let this player get coach first ....he's a ROOKIE...he's goin to back up Lewis or Goldson...he's just going to get better...if he comes out playing like LOTT...alot of you guys is going to jump in this bandwagon.
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
how are you guys watching the niner's war room? I didn't know that was available for us to watch... where is it?
I think all the WRs who will be playing us this season are $hittin in their pants now when they have to go across the middle with Mays and Goldston waiting for them.....I love the physicality of these 2....
Originally posted by Juniorminime:
I think all the WRs who will be playing us this season are $hittin in their pants now when they have to go across the middle with Mays and Goldston waiting for them.....I love the physicality of these 2....

more like salivating over the prospect of going over the top breaking through coverage for long TD's
Mays has wheels and drops the hammer on people. Exactly what the 49ers needed.
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM ]
Mays is a tall physical player with some speed. Proper training and he will be a major asset on defense covering taller players.
The kid has something that cant be taught and that is speed. Hopefully with proper coaching he can be better.
Originally posted by Shaj:
how are you guys watching the niner's war room? I didn't know that was available for us to watch... where is it?

This

Mays is ok. I can dig it.

Better than Roman, that's for sure.
Mays runs a 4.35 and he's a safety. All you fools saying that he's slow need to go somewhere, as in, gtfo here!
We had better hope that he can learn how to cover and wrap up on tackles. I do not really like the pick much, he is really terrible in coverage. on top of that, he sometimes tries so hard to knock someone out that he misses the tackle entirely.
fear the niners D next year