There are 154 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So we drafted a cheap version of Michael Lewis.

This was exactly my thought - why did we draft a guy that has the same skill set as one of our current players?

I'm not thrilled with this pick - Mays is too raw, doesn't really have the best speed, doesn't tackle all too well, and I've seen him overcommit on plays and get burned.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Not happy or mad about the pick. Hopefully he can play.
[ Edited by susweel on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:56 PM ]
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Watch him get coached up. They will work on his coverage and tackling skills in TC and watch him flourish for us. Love the pick.
Originally posted by luis1985:
His own college coach didn't want him... that should tell you something... he sucks.

you mean the same coach who invited mike and reggie williams to camp?
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
It's not who the Niners wanted, but they reluctantly chose him, and I'll root for him.

They wanted Nate Allen.

When Allen was picked Baalke looked up at the ceiling, then did a "damnit" flex...and then the room went into work mode, trying to figure something out. Singletary wasn't happy and eventually left the room.

When it came time for the pick, they were not excited, and casually shook hands and Baalke took his sheet from in front of him and crumpled it up and threw it away, disappointed.

Lets hope for the best though.

What...are we just making stuff up now? Lol

I'm not in love with Mays, but I like the pick considering it at 49. Michael Lewis had THREE concusions last year and his days are likely numbered.

Mays is very good value at 49.

Not making up anything. I watched it all happen.

I don't hate the pick, I'm just explaining what I saw happen. Yesterday, everyone was totally stoked at both picks. It was much different today.

Live draft room feed
TAYLOR MAYS' NICKNAME IS LAST SHADOW! THE LAST SHADOW THEY SEE BEFORE HE COMES IN WITH THE KILL SHOT!
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
Originally posted by luis1985:
His own college coach didn't want him... that should tell you something... he sucks.

you mean the same coach who invited mike and reggie williams to camp?

pwn3d! headshot! boom!
I didnt want him in the first but at #49??? That is a hell of a pick for someone who is a 6-4 230 pound safety with ridiculous speed who likes to knock the s**t out of people.I think its a great pick at 49 and he has tremendous potential in the NFL.
Originally posted by ianna:

What is wrong with Michael Lewis?

Nothing's wrong with Lewis: he's a good rover for us and, IMO, Mays is molded in the same fashion. I hoped we would have picked up more of a speedier, coverage-type safety. Not really ecstatic about this pick, but I hope Mays' performance proves my doubts wrong.

i love you trent baalke
Wasn't hoping for Mays because of his well talked about struggles in coverage, but what I do like is that what I read about him from scouts I hear the similar things:

-Very intelligent

-Student of the game

-Work ethic that is second to none

With those attributes he can learn to be a better safety, especially with coach Singletary molding him. If he can reach his potential as a result, watch the f**k out.

He can't cover, and neither can Mays. The difference is Mays is faster and more athletic, meaning with proper coaching, he can rid himself of his coverage deficiencies. I actualky don't mind the pick. If tge godd*mn Panthers hadn't chosen Clausen right before our pick and we passed on him in favor of Mays, I would have been extremely angry.
Originally posted by Giggidy:

Nothing's wrong with Lewis: he's a good rover for us and, IMO, Mays is molded in the same fashion. I hoped we would have picked up more of a speedier, coverage-type safety. Not really ecstatic about this pick, but I hope Mays' performance proves my doubts wrong.

I think Mays has plenty of speed
Good pick....this kid has big upside and can hit.
Share 49ersWebzone