Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by MrFantastic:
I see a lot of Taylor Mays hate going on, got to get to work but I wanted to put down my thoughts.

Mays will be used the same way Lewis is, as a two-down in the box safety who will play the underneath zone with Goldson over top.

It would be stupid to use him as a 2 down in the box safety he has range because of all that speed. I think both of our safeties can be interchangable Goldson can be used in the box and cover deep middle and Mays can do the same it gives us alot of freedom to use our safeties.

If he can't cover they won't put him in coverage. At the moment he can't cover so I think he'll be used in the same way Micahel Lewis is. Range doesn't mean anything if you don't make plays on the ball.

Once he can learn to cover, I completely agree that they could be interchangeable.

he can cover. I bet this year they use him more in a Mark Roman role

Wasn't his big knock coming out this year that he can't cover? Isn't that why he slipped to us in the 2nd round? IMO Reggie Smith will assume the Mark Roman role and Mays will assume the Michael Lewis role.

That is his big knock yes but I think the reason people want to say he can't cover is because he never had alot of INTs. Watch the games he gets to the point that he nerds to be at he just would have rather taken the big hit because that's what he was asked to do at USC. Like I said you already saw in the Senior Bowl game with NFL level coaching he was the only person in the game with an INT and that was only for a week of coaching. He'll have months to correct his flaws before the season starts.

Yes he will, that doesn't mean he's ready to face NFL competition immediately. His big knock, the only reason he didn't go top-10, the reason there were 4 safeties taken ahead of him, is that he can't cover. We had enough trouble on 3rd down last year, I don't think they're going to throw a rookie who's poor in coverage out there.

I think he will become a great all-around safety who will get a lot of picks someday but I don't think the 49ers expect it from him day 1. They have been grooming Reggie Smith for Mark Roman's role for two years now and he is supposed to be ready. Mays will become an every-down safety at some point but not right away. You think he will, I think he won't. Fair enough.

Please go back and re-read my entire post as I had a lot of good things to say about Mays, especially his ability to make as many tackles as he did playing so far off the ball.

I know brotha I read what you wrote. We both agree he will be good we just have different opinions on how long it will take for him to get there. I do agree that he does need to work on coverage I just don't think he's as bad as people are making him out to be and he will surprise you guys this year with his coverage abilities.
At the very least he'll be as good as M Lewis and that has worked for our D so far.
but he's gonna be so much better than that. And as far as concerns about coverage and being stiff, every prospect has questions about something in their game. Gotta agree with alot of people on here, this is gonna be the biggest steal of this draft. And I do think he'll have a starting spot come game 1.
I see a lot of Taylor Mays hate going on, got to get to work but I wanted to put down my thoughts.

Mays will be used the same way Lewis is, as a two-down in the box safety who will play the underneath zone with Goldson over top.

It would be stupid to use him as a 2 down in the box safety he has range because of all that speed. I think both of our safeties can be interchangable Goldson can be used in the box and cover deep middle and Mays can do the same it gives us alot of freedom to use our safeties.

If he can't cover they won't put him in coverage. At the moment he can't cover so I think he'll be used in the same way Micahel Lewis is. Range doesn't mean anything if you don't make plays on the ball.

Once he can learn to cover, I completely agree that they could be interchangeable.

Wasn't his big knock coming out this year that he can't cover? Isn't that why he slipped to us in the 2nd round? IMO Reggie Smith will assume the Mark Roman role and Mays will assume the Michael Lewis role.

That is his big knock yes but I think the reason people want to say he can't cover is because he never had alot of INTs. Watch the games he gets to the point that he nerds to be at he just would have rather taken the big hit because that's what he was asked to do at USC. Like I said you already saw in the Senior Bowl game with NFL level coaching he was the only person in the game with an INT and that was only for a week of coaching. He'll have months to correct his flaws before the season starts.

Yes he will, that doesn't mean he's ready to face NFL competition immediately. His big knock, the only reason he didn't go top-10, the reason there were 4 safeties taken ahead of him, is that he can't cover. We had enough trouble on 3rd down last year, I don't think they're going to throw a rookie who's poor in coverage out there.

I think he will become a great all-around safety who will get a lot of picks someday but I don't think the 49ers expect it from him day 1. They have been grooming Reggie Smith for Mark Roman's role for two years now and he is supposed to be ready. Mays will become an every-down safety at some point but not right away. You think he will, I think he won't. Fair enough.

Please go back and re-read my entire post as I had a lot of good things to say about Mays, especially his ability to make as many tackles as he did playing so far off the ball.

I know brotha I read what you wrote. We both agree he will be good we just have different opinions on how long it will take for him to get there. I do agree that he does need to work on coverage I just don't think he's as bad as people are making him out to be and he will surprise you guys this year with his coverage abilities.

I hope you're right!

I hope you're right!

Lol I hope I am too. I'm just very happy we got him though he was my favorite college player for my favorite school. He was a huge dissappointment last year but I think the whole defense underachieved as well and as the main guy he got most of the blame for it. But like he said in an interview even though he wasn't the first round pick he would have been last year he's a better football player now than he was last year. And this chip on his shoulder with Mike Singletary being his head coach I think can only help him. He has great work ethic and wants to be great that he is willing to do what it takes. One other thing when he was considerred a top 10 pick, he had a great front 7, now here in San Fran he has a great front 7.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Do you think Mays was drafted based on Ronnie Lott's recommendation ?

If the niners didnt take him I think he would have fell to the 3rd round.
Another Mays in Niners uni mockup, home jersey :

• buck
  • Veteran
I did not want us to draft Mays, but I assumed that he would be drafted in the first round.

I am not upset that we took him in the second, but I am concerned about his ability, or lack of ability, to cover.

My read is the coaches will play him more in run support and work on his coverage of the backs and linebackers and limit his time covering wide receivers.

In short, Mays could be a good second round pick.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
I did not want us to draft Mays, but I assumed that he would be drafted in the first round.

I am not upset that we took him in the second, but I am concerned about his ability, or lack of ability, to cover.

My read is the coaches will play him more in run support and work on his coverage of the backs and linebackers and limit his time covering wide receivers.

In short, Mays could be a good second round pick.

Agreed. Mays will also be solid is helping to double up on receivers. Especially on deep throws. I doubt you will ever see Mays one on one with a wide receiver

Originally posted by susweel:
Do you think Mays was drafted based on Ronnie Lott's recommendation ?

If the niners didnt take him I think he would have fell to the 3rd round.

What makes you think that he would have fell to the 3rd round?
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

double takedown nice
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

double takedown nice

That would probably be a fine in the NFL, not to mention its no good to knock out your own guy. Imagine if that was Goldson. ....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

double takedown nice

That would probably be a fine in the NFL, not to mention its no good to knock out your own guy. Imagine if that was Goldson. ....

Its not like he went after his own guy. The Penn State player ducked his head down. It was like the when Willis knocked the crap out of Brad Smith. No one complains that Michael Lewis felt it too. Its football man.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

double takedown nice

Its not like he went after his own guy. The Penn State player ducked his head down. It was like the when Willis knocked the crap out of Brad Smith. No one complains that Michael Lewis felt it too. Its football man.

Reminds of when Steve Atwater hit his own guy and the receiver in the GB-Denver SB.
Share 49ersWebzone