LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Brings speed, fear, and a huge hitter in our seconday!

How fast is he? I wan't a corner with speed our corners on madden are like speed 85 it fuggin sucks lol.

But seriously though how fast is he? I didn't see him play this yr I was too busy watch the superior Earl Thomas play lol

He was clocked at the combine with a 4.41, but his estimated time was 4.24 and in a side by side he CLEARLY beat Jahvid Best who was clocked at 4.35.

Realistically, He probably ran in the low to mid 4.3's...INSANELY fast for a man of any size, let alone 6'3" and 230 lbs.

Speed isn't his problem...a percieved lack of playmaking and instinct are.

I rewound that tape over and over, clocking every time and I got 4.24-4.26 repeatedly. I did it by beginning at first glance of movement and stopped using the audible end point. The dud is FAST and he got robbed with that time.
Originally posted by MBniner:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Should have taken Clausen. Major mistake. I like Mays, although he is raw and may not develop (and I watched a ton of SC football, so I know him well), but you don't pass up a potential franchise QB, especially when you don't have a QB worth a sh*t.

Do you mean in the 1st round, or maybe they should have traded up to get him?

I mean they should have traded up a few picks to get him in the second.

How the f**kin hell do you make the assumption that clausen will be a franchise QB???? dude can't throw a long ball the only person who was in love was him was mel fkn kiper who wanted clausen's baby!

alex smith will make u put your foot in your mouth this year!!! CONTRACT YEAR!!! he will have a good yr. jimmy clausen! are you f**kin serious! if he was that fkn good then why did he fall to Carolina? How come no one trade up to get him??
Because more than half the league & scouts don't view him as a franchise qb!

You still riding Smith's jock? After 5 years? Your opinion is worthless. You know nothing.
I see MBNiner and the rest of the Smith Hating Metrosexuals are out of the cave once again.
Meh
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
It's not who the Niners wanted, but they got'im and I'm rooting for him.

They wanted Nate Allen.

When Allen was picked Baalke looked up at the ceiling, then did a "damnit" flex...and then the room went into work mode, trying to figure something out. Singletary wasn't happy and eventually left the room.

When it came time for the pick, they were not excited, and casually shook hands and Baalke took his sheet from in front of him and crumpled it up and threw it away, disappointedly.

Let's see what he can do.

*edit - and now that I think about it, I don't think Sing left the room because there was nothing more for him to say or because he was upset, but rather to go somewhere quieter to get ready to make the phone call to Mays.

How did you see all of this?? Was their draft room streaming live the whole time??

Yea, it was. And I found it hard to not watch.

I think a lot of people thought Sing was really upset and left, but I think he was just being intense like he is because their ideal plan didn't turn out. That's partly why I edited the post, because I don't want people who didn't see it to think they were terribly upset and Sing stormed off, because they were really just working through their contingencies and I think Sing just left to get ready to make the call since there was no one on the phone in the draft room when the pick came in.

It should be live again tomorrow. Even though the picks won't be as exciting, you should be able to check it out at: Live draft room feed
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
Ronnie Lott - 6 letter first name, 4 letter last name
Taylor Mays - 6 letter first name, 4 letter last name

2 bad ass names for safeties

Taylor Mays, 49th pick for the 49ers

USC

this is not a coincidence

Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So we drafted a cheap version of Michael Lewis.

This was exactly my thought - why did we draft a guy that has the same skill set as one of our current players?

I'm not thrilled with this pick - Mays is too raw, doesn't really have the best speed, doesn't tackle all too well, and I've seen him overcommit on plays and get burned.

Because Lewis is on his way out in 1 or 2 years, max.

He ran a f**king 4.24-4.26 40 yard dash!!! How much more speed does he need?
I'm in the wait and see mode with Mays but if you remember when Lott played safety he didn't always wrap up when he tackled. However, every single wide receiver in the league knew he was back there, if you get my drift.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
What should really end the discussion about whether this was a good mid second round pick is Lott's huge endorsement of it.

Seriously, if Ronnie Lott loves this guy, how can you not?
Originally posted by kray28:
What should really end the discussion about whether this was a good mid second round pick is Lott's huge endorsement of it.

Lol b/c ronnie lott isn't a scout and mays could end up sucking. But I'm hoping he will knock the f out of some people

Exactly... and I would think Ronnie Lott knows a thing or two about playing Safety in the National Football League.

Originally posted by Dajanksta:

Lol b/c ronnie lott isn't a scout and mays could end up sucking. But I'm hoping he will knock the f out of some people

No, he's not a scout.. He's better than a scout. He knows more about playing football than a scout.. he knows more about playing safety than a scout. He was arguably the best safety in NFL history. I would think he knows talent when he sees it. Don't you think?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Watch the video of Mays where he talks about how Lott grabbed him arm and then by the throat during an SC v. Stanford game and said, "You better hit somebody".

It made me giddy...to be honest.
He was BPA and filled a huge need. Another ball of raw clay for Sing to play with. We really filled our biggest needs with some genuine freaks of nature. It feels to good to be bad
Ronnie Lott - 6 letter first name, 4 letter last name
Taylor Mays - 6 letter first name, 4 letter last name

2 bad ass names for safeties

Taylor Mays, [b]49th pick for the 49ers[/b]

USC

this is not a coincidence

haha.. that is ur good point! "49th" looks like a 49ers!
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Apr 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM ]
im guessing Mays wears #20, what do you guys think?
Share 49ersWebzone