LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mug0mug:
It's not who the Niners wanted, but they reluctantly chose him, and I'll root for him.

They wanted Nate Allen.

When Allen was picked Baalke looked up at the ceiling, then did a "damnit" flex...and then the room went into work mode, trying to figure something out. Singletary wasn't happy and eventually left the room.

When it came time for the pick, they were not excited, and casually shook hands and Baalke took his sheet from in front of him and crumpled it up and threw it away, disappointed.

Lets hope for the best though.

I'm not real happy about this pick however if Nate Allen was who they wanted they should have traded up to get him. Would only of cost them 130 points or a 5th round pick to jump the eagles who everone knew needed a safety..............ooops we have Ted Ginn and no 5th..oh well we could of gave up nxt years 5th or what ever it took. The people on this board seem to think that Baalke did this great Houdini draft act on day1...that my friends was dumb luck the board fell the way it did. Hopefully they can coach him up and make an NFL safety out of him.
[ Edited by kezar49er on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:41 PM ]
Originally posted by MBniner:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Should have taken Clausen. Major mistake. I like Mays, although he is raw and may not develop (and I watched a ton of SC football, so I know him well), but you don't pass up a potential franchise QB, especially when you don't have a QB worth a sh*t.

Do you mean in the 1st round, or maybe they should have traded up to get him?

I mean they should have traded up a few picks to get him in the second.

How the f**kin hell do you make the assumption that clausen will be a franchise QB???? dude can't throw a long ball the only person who was in love was him was mel fkn kiper who wanted clausen's baby!

alex smith will make u put your foot in your mouth this year!!! CONTRACT YEAR!!! he will have a good yr. jimmy clausen! are you f**kin serious! if he was that fkn good then why did he fall to Carolina? How come no one trade up to get him??
Because more than half the league & scouts don't view him as a franchise qb!
lol watch mays pick him off or kill him on a blitz when we play carolina! oh i will be there !!!!!
Originally posted by luis1985:
His own college coach didn't want him... that should tell you something... he sucks.

Well, maybe now will work his butt off to make him reget not picking him.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Should have taken Clausen. Major mistake. I like Mays, although he is raw and may not develop (and I watched a ton of SC football, so I know him well), but you don't pass up a potential franchise QB, especially when you don't have a QB worth a sh*t.

Do you mean in the 1st round, or maybe they should have traded up to get him?

I mean they should have traded up a few picks to get him in the second.

How the f**kin hell do you make the assumption that clausen will be a franchise QB???? dude can't throw a long ball the only person who was in love was him was mel fkn kiper who wanted clausen's baby!

alex smith will make u put your foot in your mouth this year!!! CONTRACT YEAR!!! he will have a good yr. jimmy clausen! are you f**kin serious! if he was that fkn good then why did he fall to Carolina? How come no one trade up to get him??
Because more than half the league & scouts don't view him as a franchise qb!

You still riding Smith's jock? After 5 years? Your opinion is worthless. You know nothing.
I wanted Nate Allan
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Brings speed, fear, and a huge hitter in our seconday!
Originally posted by ImaMod:

How fast is he? I wan't a corner with speed our corners on madden are like speed 85 it fuggin sucks lol.

But seriously though how fast is he? I didn't see him play this yr I was too busy watch the superior Earl Thomas play lol
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BringBackTO:
I like the pick for the value but he has terrible coverage skills and I think one thing everyone is missing is this guy is a walking personal foul. Watching SC games this guy was constantly getting late hits/hitting unprotected WRs.

EVERYONE here needs to remember this is not college. The coaches at this level make SURE their guys know what they're doing or they don't play them. Obviously, Carroll didn't think Mays needed to work on his game, which tells me they didn't get on his ass at all about his coverage abilities. That is NOT going to happen with our coaches.

Some of you need to settle down. You're all acting like his coverage skills can't improve with proper coaching. He is a very big, very fast, very athletic player that has the potential to be the best at his position if he's coached right. He will be a work in progress, but I believe he will end up being a very good SS.

LOL. Yea, because getting coaching in the NFL automatically means he's going to be a great coverage DB now? He's not a great DB because he only has straight line speed.

There's a reason why guys are judged by their college skills, cuz you know...it kinda translates into the NFL.

Coaching definitely matters...but you don't automatically turn a guy who can't cover for sh!t into a great DB.

I'd love to be wrong, but I just see a cheap version of Michael Lewis. At least Lewis has some coverage ability.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Lawrence Taylor Mays

Originally posted by Dajanksta:

How fast is he? I wan't a corner with speed our corners on madden are like speed 85 it fuggin sucks lol.

But seriously though how fast is he? I didn't see him play this yr I was too busy watch the superior Earl Thomas play lol

could he be an adrian wilson type player?
Seriously, Dashon Goldson + Taylor Mays...

Could you imagine the type of destruction these two could bring together? These guys could sandwich some f**kers to the injury reserve list... Good lord, if we tune-up Mays' coverage skills the way we were able to fix Gholdson's coming out of UoW our defense is just nuts...

But I'm surprised nobody has brought up how valuable Mays is going to be working out of our 3-4, we could also use this guy as a disguised pass-rusher on 2nd down situations (cause Mays is fast/pounding), cause we're actually a team that uses 'old-school' safety-blitz packages.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
could he be an adrian wilson type player?

That's who one of my boys compared him too.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

He was clocked at the combine with a 4.41, but his estimated time was 4.24 and in a side by side he CLEARLY beat Jahvid Best who was clocked at 4.35.

Realistically, He probably ran in the low to mid 4.3's...INSANELY fast for a man of any size, let alone 6'3" and 230 lbs.

Speed isn't his problem...a percieved lack of playmaking and instinct are.
Share 49ersWebzone