LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

Carr Signs With 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It means Nate Davis will likely be cut. And the dreams of Davis becomming the next Montana will crash down on the WZ.

We have a really smart organization BTW. Being aggressive in FA and getting David Carr as our #1 signing...

I really doubt they cut Davis to keep Hill. They already know what Hill can do and obviously didn't think he could do much. Davis is still an unknown and by all accounts, still worth developing.

Perhaps you are right. However the more experienced Hill is a proven winner as a backup and he may be tough to cut in training camp. It's a #'s game. Alex won't be cut. If they signed Carr to pretty substantial money he won't be cut. So only 2 could. And Hill has proven game experience and has proven he can win. Nate Davis is a late round draft pick and an unknown despite his large amount of hype on this board.
I'll try and remain positive about this signing and think about reclamation projects like Jim Plunkett with the Raiders, Trent Dilfer with the Ravens, Jim Harbaugh for the Colts and Doug Williams for the Redskins...all guys who most thought were washed up and/or never all that good to begin with, yet defied the odds and found success with their new teams.

We have a pretty funny organization. We could get the likes of Julius Peppers but instead we are in an urgent hurry to sign David Carr...

I can see why they'd pass on Peppers...that's a lot of money to invest in a guy who doesn't really love the game, doesn't always play hard and is coming up quickly on the downside of his career.
It means Nate Davis will likely be cut. And the dreams of Davis becomming the next Montana will crash down on the WZ.

We have a really smart organization BTW. Being aggressive in FA and getting David Carr as our #1 signing...

I really doubt they cut Davis to keep Hill. They already know what Hill can do and obviously didn't think he could do much. Davis is still an unknown and by all accounts, still worth developing.

Perhaps you are right. However the more experienced Hill is a proven winner as a backup and he may be tough to cut in training camp. It's a #'s game. Alex won't be cut. If they signed Carr to pretty substantial money he won't be cut. So only 2 could. And Hill has proven game experience and has proven he can win. Nate Davis is a late round draft pick and an unknown despite his large amount of hype on this board.

Most teams are happy with 2 "proven" QBs and 1 development-type. Plus, Smith, Carr and Davis all have the one thing in common that is important in a vertical passing scheme...strong arms. Not so much for Hill.

Not to mention, Hill is due $1.5M next year, and seriously can't see a 3rd stringer staying around for that kind of money.

Sorry bro, Hill is a goner.

Most teams are happy with 2 "proven" QBs and 1 development-type. Plus, Smith, Carr and Davis all have the one thing in common that is important in a vertical passing scheme...strong arms. Not so much for Hill.

Not to mention, Hill is due $1.5M next year, and seriously can't see a 3rd stringer staying around for that kind of money.

Maybe he is but all I'm saying is Hill has proven he can step in and win. Nate Davis is a complete unknown despite his Youtube hype against 3rd and 4th stringers. Carr has proven to be a loser. Smith has improved but is still an unknown with major question marks.

So it seems to me that still leaves us extremely thin and questionable at QB.

Maybe he is but all I'm saying is Hill has proven he can step in and win. Nate Davis is a complete unknown despite his Youtube hype against 3rd and 4th stringers. Carr has proven to be a loser. Smith has improved but is still an unknown with major question marks.

So it seems to me that still leaves us extremely thin and questionable at QB.

I get what you're saying and in a sense, you're probably right. But I'm pretty sure they signed Carr to replace Hill, not to get rid of Davis. Btw, Davis isn't really a complete unknown, at least not to the organization...they deal with him every day during the season and know what kind of person he is, and when he did get a chance to play, he played very well. If they didn't think any of that mattered and are completely unsure of Davis, they would've tried to place him on the practice squad and not lost any sleep if some other team signed him away.

The fact that they kept him (an unproven rookie QB) on the 53-man roster all year says a lot. It will say even more if they release Hill and commit to Davis as the development 3rd stringer for 2010.

We'll just have to see.
I dont care whos Qb aslong as we win
Smith and Carr both have things in common, they're both former #1 overall draft picks and they're both BUSTS!
This is the beginning of the end for QB Shaun Hill.

Just like the old days!!!

Steve Young (David Carr) coming in from a bad situation (Tampa Bay) and providing competition for Joe Montana (Alex Smith)!

I can´t say that I´m exicet bout the David Carr signing.
He has soem backup value, that beeing said for such a signing teh team needs to have a proven successful QB, unfotunatkley the niners do not have one.

I like Alex and Ihope that he thrives this year yet until now there´s a lot of question marks surroundg our starting QB and our 3rd sting QB.

Carr has all the questionmarks removed. He´s a beaten up 1st overall bust with all the phyisical tools.

Originally posted by JeuSF49:
I can´t say that I´m exicet bout the David Carr signing.
He has soem backup value, that beeing said for such a signing teh team needs to have a proven successful QB, unfotunatkley the niners do not have one.

I like Alex and Ihope that he thrives this year yet until now there´s a lot of question marks surroundg our starting QB and our 3rd sting QB.

Carr has all the questionmarks removed. He´s a beaten up 1st overall bust with all the phyisical tools.

how much u drink tonight?
So, it's kind of like "scissors, paper, stone", eh?

Smith!

Hill!

Carr!

IDK, Smith looks better to me....
This means the end of Shaun Hill, not Nate Davis. It's good insurance...there was a reason the Giants signed him to b/u Eli. Carr can still play...and has downfield throwing ability. It does speak to the first offensive continuity in too many years...just another step in the right direction toward opening up the offense.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Just like the old days!!!

Steve Young (David Carr) coming in from a bad situation (Tampa Bay) and providing competition for Joe Montana (Alex Smith)!

You must be smokin some goood ish.
This is like getting rid of that old coach your mom gave you with something from a second had store. The competition to hold the clipboard just got stiff for Nate Davis. Is it possible to have a competition for third string if you only have three players? Loser gets second string...
[ Edited by fister30 on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone