There are 157 users in the forums

Niners had worst OL in 2009

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Funny how F.Gore's production is negatively impacted by poor OL. play, but you rarely hear any consideration of how it would affect the QB's play.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Funny how F.Gore's production is negatively impacted by poor OL. play, but you rarely hear any consideration of how it would affect the QB's play.
Im not a Smith hater but as you know many people feel Alex sucks so it wouldnt be a good way to show how bad the OLine is. Gore is a known top back and if his production isnt were its supposed to be then theres a problem.
Originally posted by cupcheck:

very well said
We didn't even have the worst O-Line in our division, pleez. It wasn't good it, but it wasn't that bad my word.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
We didn't even have the worst O-Line in our division, pleez. It wasn't good it, but it wasn't that bad my word.

True, but no denying that it's most likely a bottom 5 OL in the NFL.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

If your unit is ranked in the high 20s' then your unit sucks. There is no two ways about that.

I don't see how anyone could come away from last season and not feel physically ill at the thought of that unit protecting our QB and "opening holes" for our Backs.

MRob is not the greatest RB in the world but imho, he deserves to have the ability to do SOMETHING that he's capable of. When Jennings was here(can't believe I'm using that mook as a positive example) MRob could get into the 2nd and 3rd blocking levels. Yes that was when JJ could get his ass on the field, even so he brought some attitude on Rushing downs and that affected the rest.

I swear what we need to do is get our smallest guys and line em up holding big tackling drill pads 2 players per pad and let em go at it with the Line. Eventually work them to single pad drills x 10 players and assistants. Get the Line working both hands to perform sternum blocks so that way they can at least get a hand on the "unblocked" man and hold em off a bit so the play can continue longer than 2.3 seconds.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

If your unit is ranked in the high 20s' then your unit sucks. There is no two ways about that.

I don't see how anyone could come away from last season and not feel physically ill at the thought of that unit protecting our QB and "opening holes" for our Backs.

MRob is not the greatest RB in the world but imho, he deserves to have the ability to do SOMETHING that he's capable of. When Jennings was here(can't believe I'm using that mook as a positive example) MRob could get into the 2nd and 3rd blocking levels. Yes that was when JJ could get his ass on the field, even so he brought some attitude on Rushing downs and that affected the rest.

I swear what we need to do is get our smallest guys and line em up holding big tackling drill pads 2 players per pad and let em go at it with the Line. Eventually work them to single pad drills x 10 players and assistants. Get the Line working both hands to perform sternum blocks so that way they can at least get a hand on the "unblocked" man and hold em off a bit so the play can continue longer than 2.3 seconds.

~Ceadder

When your Pro Bowl calibur LT missed half the season your going to most likely have problems, especially if the rest of the line isn't like let's say a NE type of line where you can just plug in a young stud like Sebastian Vullmer for example. Like our secondary who was also in the high 20s who also was without a Pro Bowl talent for half the season, it hurts when you get sucked down by a major injury like that.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

~Ceadder

When your Pro Bowl calibur LT missed half the season your going to most likely have problems, especially if the rest of the line isn't like let's say a NE type of line where you can just plug in a young stud like Sebastian Vullmer for example. Like our secondary who was also in the high 20s who also was without a Pro Bowl talent for half the season, it hurts when you get sucked down by a major injury like that.

Staley is not a pro-bowl caliber LT, if anything when Sims came in he played at the same level if not higher than Staley. Guys like Baas and Snyder should not be starters on a team that expects to go to the playoffs. I think Chilo can rebound.

~Ceadder

Staley is not a pro-bowl caliber LT, if anything when Sims came in he played at the same level if not higher than Staley. Guys like Baas and Snyder should not be starters on a team that expects to go to the playoffs. I think Chilo can rebound.

Oh my gosh stop talking. Staley isn't Pro Bowl caliber my word and Sims was just as good. I guess you think Alex should keep his starting job and lead us to the promised land.
Well, now that GM, COmmand, and Ceadder have all weighed in, I will rejoin with a few comments. First, re: Heitmann, every time i scribble an opinion about him, Mad Dog goes ape and tells me what a great OL he is. I just never can get Rocky Bernard going right over Heitmann's back, en route to tearing up Alex's shoulder...out of my mind. I think Command feels the same, but no question, there is much division on this. Maybe Ceadder is right re: footwork, etc, but for me, we still need 3(THREE) OL starters to make this OL decent. That's a first, another first, and an all pro OL in FA...all going into the OL.

Does that mean we have only two legit starters on OL at present? For me, yes, altho it breaks my heart to say it. Who would i start? At this point staley, sims( jeez, i hope we keep him, altho his second half of season was markedly better than 1st), and probably rachal. Snyder just has disappointed so long, i think this was a mistake from the gitgo. To see some talking about snyder starting, then heitmann starting, then baas, wragge, it just seems like we have 2, maybe 3 starters(sims still a ?), and then 4 backups, wragge, snyder, baas, and heitmann. i would dearly love to find out that everyone of those guys is playing the wrong position, but frankly, i strongly doubt it. Hence we have to light the board up with OTs in draft, and if Iupati(OG) outplays other OTs, then sign him. Heck, we don't need OT or OG, or C, we just need OLs. Let time tell who plays where. Look at Dielman in SD(OG), faneca(OG) w/Jets. Just get us starting OLs, and they will work out who goes where.

Re: GMs or NCs comments on raye/bigmike, we are giving away 7-10 pts/ game just due to bigmike's huge lack of experience. I guess it must be okay with most on the board not to have a noln around, but for me we are max 1 game in playoffs and out until we sign an OC who then becomes HC. Until that time, we are "meat" against Peyton, Payton, bellicheat, Atlanta, jets, giants, SD, Philly, to name a few. Make that all, 100% on coaching, which they have, and we don't. I like bigmike, but i just don't ever see him catching up to a Payton, bellicheat, or tom moore(colts). And raye is bigmike's continuity boy...not his fault, just the way bigmike wants it.

As for the telegraphing the league how we were gonna play our first 10 games,and then getting waxed(not to mention made to look foolish) maybe bigmike learned a lesson? man, i hope so. But regardless of who we have here, if the OL isn't fixed, and i mean really fixed this yr, we are going to look like the last 3-5 yrs...flashes of brilliance, streaks of pain. Of course, if we had Payton as HC, i wouldn't be worrying about bringing in 3 starting OLs. He would already have done it. And that's the problem with bigmike, which i share with one, perhaps two of the 3 posters mentioned above.

I think tackles are a need but IMO the running game needs interior OL not tackles. Tackle and especially for the niners the consideration is about the pass blocking. If it were just about run blocking Kwame the lame would still be here. Part of the problem is the noodlewits have Snyder etc at hogzilla weights and want ballet masters. What we need is a GM who actually has some intelligence. Unfortunately we have McCloughan the one whose opinions are carved into stone from his own blockhead.
This guy is mediocre from the get go. We deserve better and I suspect this year might be his last if he does not really explode with some imagination and sound decisions.
Promethius is right, mcCLOWN is just as much if not more to blame for our OL as anyone. Boy, i look at HC and GM, and OC, and it makes me shudder. Only thing worse is ownership, and those wealthy clueless folks need to sign a HOFO, a parcells, polian, AJ Smith (SD), a Loomis, a bellicheat, etc. Until that happens, we are just going to be fair to mediocre, never a threat at a SB run. HOw much longer will the inexperienced HC be kept around when it is obvious to some he is a Peter's Principle example, extraordinaire? I agree, if Clown doesn't put together a true starting OL this yr, his time here is on the clock. Bigmike and jimmyrae...well, if you want excellent coaching, you are going to have to look elsewhere.
Share 49ersWebzone