LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

No Shotgun Offense Please: Colts a perfect reason why.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by danimal:
we don't have a choice Joe Cool. Alex only barely passes as an NFL QB in the Shotgun.

I wonder how many of your 3973 posts are hating on alex smith? 65%? 70?

Probably. The other 30% is hating on the Lakers.

Don't hate on Greatness Joe. Just cause the Warriors suck is no reason to hate on the Lakers.

There that's my bit of trash talking for the year.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Top 2 reason's colts lost.
1. Their defense showed it's yellow belly and thus New Orleans kept the ball away from peyton for almost the entire 2nd quarter and the onside kick gave them a good chunk of the 3rd quarter too.
2. The offense couldn't get any kind of rhythm or feel for the game due to reason #1

How about reason #0: They got outcoached. Almost every stat favors the Colts offense over the Saints offense and the Colts defense over the Saints Defense.

I'm not going to go look back at the stats, but even if the colts had better stats, it does matter. Stats can be deceiving. Watching the game, the Saints keeping the ball for almost the entire 2nd quarter and beginning of the 3rd is key to the game. Colts offense never looked in sync in the game, especially after that. They couldn't get into any rhythm because the colts d couldn't keep the saints from controlling the clock and holding on to possession.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Yes, let's not be like a team that could've gone undefeated if they wanted to, and made it all the way to the Super Bowl.

I love this post.

No further explanation needed.

Not to mention that the Saints play out of the shotgun formation quite a bit too.
Say what you will but the spead offense will succeed in the NFL. It's only a matter of getting the right players to run it.
If the niners bring back basically the same team on offense why would you want to take away the must effective way this team can move the ball. If the Niners draft 2 OL in the first 3 rounds that are going to step right in and start and be effective and find a real FB and Alex somehow increase his throwing accuracy downfield then maybe they can switch it up. But thats a BIG if and a hell of a run-on sentence.
Originally posted by Method:
we don't have a choice Joe Cool. Alex only barely passes as an NFL QB in the Shotgun.

I wonder how many of your 3973 posts are hating on alex smith? 65%? 70?

Probably. The other 30% is hating on the Lakers.

10% rooting for the Lakers(I am a fan)
50% making predictions that always come true
30% tearing down weak arguments and predictions of others that never come true
10% trying to teach others how to be great like me
0% hating on anyone. Again, I am just breaking down weak arguments. If you post Rex Grossman is a swell QB, I am going to post back that he is not. How is that hating?
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Yes, let's not be like a team that could've gone undefeated if they wanted to, and made it all the way to the Super Bowl.

I have to say that this is the perfect response to this thread.
Actually, NO played to win and the Colts played conservatively. They played the traditional "don't make a mistake, wait for the other team to screw up" NFL game.

It just seemed that NO simply went for it and weren't worried about being criticized if something would have gone wrong. That puts them ahead of every other team and that is why they won.
One other thing came to my mind. Why are the Colts running a basic offense? It's because of the Marino syndrome. They rely way too much on Manning when they should be doings greater things. The Colts are one dimensional because they think Manning will save the day. Terrible lazy coaching.
Relying too much on the QB and giving up on the run is what cost the Colts the Super Bowl?

Colts - 19 rush attempts 99 yards
Saints - 18 rush attempts 51 yards

Didn't seem to hurt the Saints.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Relying too much on the QB and giving up on the run is what cost the Colts the Super Bowl?

but the Saints were playing from behind. The Colts were up by 10 pts, could have been 17. Balanced teams go run heavy with a 10 pt lead. The bottom line is the Colts never establised a running game outside of shotgun draws, that is a sin when you have the early advantage

but the Saints were playing from behind. The Colts were up by 10 pts, could have been 17. Balanced teams go run heavy with a 10 pt lead. The bottom line is the Colts never establised a running game outside of shotgun draws, that is a sin when you have the early advantage

When they were up by 10, if they went run heavy with some MAJOR playaction, they would have broken that Saints defense's mentality.

Most of their runs in the early part of the game weren't even from shotgun, let alone draws. And you're saying the Colts should sit on a 4 point lead and go heavy run and play the clock game against the Saints? The biggest lead they had was 10, and that was only in the first quarter. You don't shift styles and attempt to do the ball control thing with a 10 point first quarter lead, especially against the Saints. They had only a four point lead at half time. Then they were down by three, got another four point lead, and then the Saints took the lead and kept it. Where in there was there a significant enough lead to shift out of character and go run heavy? Especially against the #1 offense in the league when your defense is putting up its worst performance of the season?

And in my opinion, the decision to run three straight plays and attempt to wind down the clock instead of staying in character and going for at least a first down if not the typical end of half drive they were so successful with all year was one of the biggest mistakes they made. It had a huge effect on the momentum of the game. Your D puts up a goal line stand and you run up the middle three times in a row without using any clock and punt to reward them??? Before that, the offense was driving and sharp and the defense was strong. After that, the offense looked a little lost and never fully recovered, and the defense couldn't seem to finish any tackles.

If you ask me, it was them not relying on Manning, and shifting to the run in those three plays that really set them up for the loss.

[ Edited by mrgneissguy on Feb 12, 2010 at 13:03:12 ]

This isn't the first time I've seen this said in this thread. And I don't know where folks are getting this. So I went to the play by play for the game, and guess what...

first drive, 2 run plays, neither from shotgun
second drive, 5 run plays, none from shotgun
third drive, 1 run play, not from shotgun
fourth drive, 3 run plays, none from shotgun
halftime
fifth drive 4 run plays, one from shotgun
sixth drive 3 run plays, none from shotgun

It's a pretty good and fairly consistent mix of run plays so far, and only 1 from shotgun.

Then they have a seven point deficit with only 5:42 remaining...kind of hard to sit heavy on the run game at this point.
seventh drive 0 run plays
eighth and final drive 1 run play, not from shotgun.

So what exactly was their sin again?

[ Edited by mrgneissguy on Feb 12, 2010 at 13:27:09 ]

This isn't the first time I've seen this said in this thread. And I don't know where folks are getting this. So I went to the play by play for the game, and guess what...

halftime

It's a pretty good and fairly consistent mix of run plays so far, and only 1 from shotgun.

Then they have a seven point deficit with only 5:42 remaining...kind of hard to sit heavy on the run game at this point.

I stand corrected. They did nothing wrong....well except losing of course, but besides that

halftime

I stand corrected. They did nothing wrong....well except losing of course, but besides that

Except losing. They actually did plenty wrong.

They were too timid at the end of the half. They (Hank) didn't concentrate during the second half kickoff and gave the Saints an extra possession. Freeney couldn't put together any rush at all in the second half and therefore Brees had all day to throw. The defense allowed the Saints ball carriers to consistently break 2-3 tackles per carry. They committed more penalties for more yards than the Saints (they usually come out ahead on that stat). And on and on...all adding up to the Saints outperforming the Colts.

But the cause of their loss was NOT due to relying too heavily on Manning and only running draws out of shotgun.
Share 49ersWebzone