LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Alex Smith 2009 Highlight Video

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just take a clip of any game that he has ever played in when he rolls out to the right, and then throws it out of bounds. That is his highlight tape.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Did everyone notice that ZRF80 had to go clear back to 2007 to find a second bad throw from Alex. They are hard to find, aren't they?

He underthrew Crabtree on a post route in two games in a row. Crabs was wide open agains the Lions and Rams but Alex underthrew him. A QB has to hit a wide open receiver in stride. They would have been touchdowns. Even when Crabs caught that touchdown against Arizona on Monday Night, Crabs had to make an Amazing catch to reel in the bad throw. "But he doesn't have his timing down yet"- Alexcuses. You don't have to have your timing down when a receiver is wide open in the middle of the field
It's really hard not to get involved here, seeing how absurd some of these comments are -- to the point of completely making things up. There is no cure for such hyper-irrationality.

Alex Smith talk should just be banned until the start of next year's practices.

Fellas, in ten games.. Smith threw for the most TD's a 49er QB has since Jeff Garcia threw for 18 TDs and 13 INTs in thirteen games. The last time we made the playoffs, Garcia was our QB, and was a pro bowler...

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It's really hard not to get involved here, seeing how absurd some of these comments are -- to the point of completely making things up. There is no cure for such hyper-irrationality.

Fellas, in ten games.. Smith threw for the most TD's a 49er QB has since Jeff Garcia threw for 18 TDs and 13 INTs in thirteen games. The last time we made the playoffs, Garcia was our QB, and was a pro bowler...

• Tman
  • Veteran

NICE!!

end of convo
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Can we ban it until the regular season starts?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Did everyone notice that ZRF80 had to go clear back to 2007 to find a second bad throw from Alex. They are hard to find, aren't they?

He underthrew Crabtree on a post route in two games in a row. Crabs was wide open agains the Lions and Rams but Alex underthrew him. A QB has to hit a wide open receiver in stride. They would have been touchdowns. Even when Crabs caught that touchdown against Arizona on Monday Night, Crabs had to make an Amazing catch to reel in the bad throw. "But he doesn't have his timing down yet"- Alexcuses. You don't have to have your timing down when a receiver is wide open in the middle of the field

Wow poor Crabtree had to make a tough catch. Yet I'm sure when Reggie Wayne has to make a 1-handed catch Manning's throw was perfect.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

That was pretty sweet.

LOVE that!

I wanna see the one where he stiff armed a guy. I think it happened in the same game?

That hit on Ellis though put the man on his azz.

"Oh but then Garcia should not have made the Pro Bowl that year."

Excellent work.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Feb 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM ]

I'm not too sure I understand what you're saying in the last line. Jeff Garcia was 8-8 as our QB the year he had 18/13. We weren't really good that year. So because Alex Smith threw for 18 TDs in 3 less games that he's somehow = to Garcia in his BETTER (ie Pro Bowl) years? I'm not trying to hate on Smith here, I'm just not seeing the point of bringing up this comparison. Had you said just, "Smith threw for the most TDs since Garcia in 3 less games," I'd have no problem with that...

In any case, I'm hoping Smith can get his YPA to high 6s or 7.0 next year and about a 2-1 TD-INT ratio (Hopefully 20 and 10). I'm positive that'd get us in the playoffs next year. I think he can do it if he improves some of his issues (accuracy, pocket presence). Continuity on offense and an improved line should help.

There's really no excuse for us not to make the playoffs next year. We just need decent-good QB play and we'll be in.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I'm not too sure I understand what you're saying in the last line. Jeff Garcia was 8-8 as our QB the year he had 18/13. We weren't really good that year. So because Alex Smith threw for 18 TDs in 3 less games that he's somehow = to Garcia in his BETTER (ie Pro Bowl) years? I'm not trying to hate on Smith here, I'm just not seeing the point of bringing up this comparison. Had you said just, "Smith threw for the most TDs since Garcia in 3 less games," I'd have no problem with that...

In any case, I'm hoping Smith can get his YPA to high 6s or 7.0 next year and about a 2-1 TD-INT ratio (Hopefully 20 and 10). I'm positive that'd get us in the playoffs next year. I think he can do it if he improves some of his issues (accuracy, pocket presence). Continuity on offense and an improved line should help.

There's really no excuse for us not to make the playoffs next year. We just need decent-good QB play and we'll be in.

Garcia also ran for over 300 yds and 7tds that year.

Just take a clip of any game that he has ever played in when he rolls out to the right, and then throws it out of bounds. That is his highlight tape.

hey then we can put shaun hill in the game so we can two first downs and loose

Fellas, in [b]ten games.. Smith threw for the most TD's a 49er QB has since Jeff Garcia threw for 18 TDs and 13 INTs in thirteen games[/b]. The last time we made the playoffs, Garcia was our QB, and was a pro bowler...

Ya, that is really amazing considering that we had such great QB's since then. I mean, guys like Rattay, Pickett, O'Sullivan, and Dilfer. That is like an all-decade team right there!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Fellas, in [b]ten games.. Smith threw for the most TD's a 49er QB has since Jeff Garcia threw for 18 TDs and 13 INTs in thirteen games[/b]. The last time we made the playoffs, Garcia was our QB, and was a pro bowler...

Ya, that is really amazing considering that we had such great QB's since then. I mean, guys like Rattay, Pickett, O'Sullivan, and Dilfer. That is like an all-decade team right there!

That's not the point.
One problem with Smith that gets overlooked, is that he is only functional out of the shotgun. He was complete garbage in the first half of most games until Raye opened it up. He'll make a play action completion occasionally but for the most part he still looks lost taking snaps under center.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
One problem with Smith that gets overlooked, is that he is only functional out of the shotgun. He was complete garbage in the first half of most games until Raye opened it up. He'll make a play action completion occasionally but for the most part he still looks lost taking snaps under center.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Alex's QB rating from behind center just as good or better than when he was in shotgun?
Share 49ersWebzone