LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
In the end, Peyton will be the greatest. If he wins one more Super Bowl, I think that will do it. You cant judge everything on Super Bowl Wins. I mean, look at Terry Bradshaw. He has 4 victories but is the even in the top 5? No way.

I agree with you on the Terry Bradshaw thing. Depending on what happens with Manning's remaining years, he might be considered the best by some, but I would take Montana any day of the week in a clutch, big game situation.
The NFL is a tough gig. I am glad some of you reminded others that as great as Montana was, even he and his team had difficult games - ones they lost. They lost some playoff games, to be sure. I remember a few of them and how fristrated I was, wondering why we failed. With a few of our posters today, they would have been merciless against Joe, condemning him for every overthrown, underthrown pass.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

Montana lost a TON of playoff games. If a ton = 5 or 6. Still... Brady is great.
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

Today, Brady looks like Joe did in our '87 playoff game against the Vikes.

The Pats are on their way down. They can't run, their D is geriatric, and their offensive merc, Randy Moss, can't get open by himself anymore.

All told, there is no comparison between Joe and Tom. Joe is the man.
Arguing that one player is better than another simply based on Super Bowl wins is beyond stupid.
The discussion ended for me in XLII. Brady lost and played poorly in that game as he was constantly pressured by the Giants.

Same story here, when under pressure he can't get it done.

Peyton? IMHO without him the Colts are a mediocre team. Yet what he has not is the Rings and three superbowl MVP titles.

Peyton may be the Greatest regular season QB ever but not the best hwo ever played
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
I'm glad Shaj finally got around to putting this thing to rest.
Thank you for putting it to rest for me Shaj, now I can sleep at night.
Originally posted by Esco:
I'm glad Shaj finally got around to putting this thing to rest.

+1

Yeah Tom really looked bad today! He looked pedestrian at best. I looked like alex smith out there! Now that is scary. But like I stated in another post "Defense wins Championships". Let's make our defense like the ravens with the first two picks of this draft!
Originally posted by wolfpack219:
Ya it's amazing how when Tom Brady is under constant pressure he looks like s**t and constantly rolls out to his right. Geese if I recall that reminds me our OL and QB situation. I wonder how Alex would look if he actually had CONSISTENT protection?

Does everything have to come back to Smith.

I wonder how Smith puts on his pants will all these people on his Nutz.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

Discuss.....

Today, Brady looks like Joe did in our '87 playoff game against the Vikes.

The Pats are on their way down. They can't run, their D is geriatric, and their offensive merc, Randy Moss, can't get open by himself anymore.

All told, there is no comparison between Joe and Tom. Joe is the man.

Joe and the Niner's nearly three-peated after the 87 disappointment. I don't see that in the Pats future.
Actually, Joe and the 49ers had a playoff game like this against the Giants. I think it was in January 1988.. The Giants just schooled the 49ers that day. I think Joe may have been knocked out of that game by Jim Burt.

But it wasn't at home though.
Anyone have some postseasons stats to compare the 2? It's Joe hands down. I think even Brady would admit that.
Share 49ersWebzone