There are 421 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
It's simple really:

When the oline fails, the qb fails.

Exactly. But Brady as good as he is was never in Joe's league. Partly due to the advantages that QBs' had over Defenses for the last decade. Only recently has the league taken away an advantage. Even so Brady and other modern era QBs' have the advantage.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

Manning is good but c'mon Joe was better. Don't care what you say about it.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Niners99:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

I'll give you the postseason comment.

But rings shouldn't be what makes the best (insert position here). There's 52 other guys on the team. If 1 or 2 units can't do their job and the rest of the team ain't winning sh*t.

The Colts just set the record for wins in a decade. What's that tell you? He's been doing it with alot less talent than Joe was use to.

True however, the kind of play today does not compare to the great teams past such as the Bears, Giants, Redskins, Niners etc. Those were trulygreat teams; not one dimensional teams like the Colts and PATS who people believe belong in this category.I'm sorry they just don't.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

Blasphemy!!!!!

I expect this kind of ignorance from a Colts fan, but from a 49ers fan?

Like the other poster said; 4 Superbowl wins > 1 Superbowl win. Plus, Joe Montana never threw a SINGLE interception in a Superbowl game!

San Francisco went on to win Super Bowl XVI over the Cincinnati Bengals 26-21, and Montana was named the game's Most Valuable Player (MVP). It was to become a familiar scenario during the decade. The 49ers would win four titles by 1990, including consecutive Super Bowls in 1989 and 1990, and Montana was awarded the MVP trophy on three occasions (his favorite receiver, Jerry Rice, won the award in 1989). Not only did Montana complete almost 70 percent of his passes in those four Super Bowl victories - outdueling the likes of Dan Marino, John Elway, and Boomer Esiason in the those title games - but he never threw an interception in 122 attempts.

Don't forget what greatness really was, invest in buying all four Superbowls that Joe Cool played in and come back on this board and tell me that you still believe that crap that you just wrote down! If you do, then my fellow 49er fan, there is a 49er intervention coming to you soon!
It's Montana and then everyone else......the only debate is whether or not he is the best player in nfl history. In that debate you can argue for Rice or Jim Brown. IMO Rice is the best player in pro football history and even that's debatable. However, when it comes to qb Montana reigns supreme.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Actually, Joe and the 49ers had a playoff game like this against the Giants. I think it was in January 1988.. The Giants just schooled the 49ers that day. I think Joe may have been knocked out of that game by Jim Burt.

But it wasn't at home though.

1/4/87 . . . brutal game

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198701040nyg.htm
There was NEVER a debate in my eyes. Montana was better! Brady's 3 championships were ALL TAINTED! His team was found guilty of illegally spying. It went on for several years including the seasons brady won his superbowls. TAINTED! Remember, his teams barely won those games too!
What debate, there never was one as far as im concerned....

Montana > All QB`s past and future.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
It's simple really:

Exactly. But Brady as good as he is was never in Joe's league. Partly due to the advantages that QBs' had over Defenses for the last decade. Only recently has the league taken away an advantage. Even so Brady and other modern era QBs' have the advantage.

~Ceadder

What advantage has the league taken away from the QBs lately. If anything it is as worse as it has ever been. With the illegal contact rule changes of the early 20s and now the, you can't even breath on the QBs it is a totally easier game for them. These guys stats would not be anywhere near what they are if they played in Joe's era.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by wolfpack219:
Ya it's amazing how when Tom Brady is under constant pressure he looks like s**t and constantly rolls out to his right. Geese if I recall that reminds me our OL and QB situation. I wonder how Alex would look if he actually had CONSISTENT protection?

Does everything have to come back to Smith.

I wonder how Smith puts on his pants will all these people on his Nutz.

Or with people trying to stick their knives in it.

But I guess nobody can be intelligently unbiased in either direction. At least you can't even suggest that the problem is not Alex without someone making an inference that they are nuthugging the guy.

Such an ignorant stance should immediately be banned for the offensive picture it inspires.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by NinerFan1979:
It's simple really:

~Ceadder

What advantage has the league taken away from the QBs lately. If anything it is as worse as it has ever been. With the illegal contact rule changes of the early 20s and now the, you can't even breath on the QBs it is a totally easier game for them. These guys stats would not be anywhere near what they are if they played in Joe's era.

What advantage? You mean you don't remember that a Receiver can make the catch but still not complete if the DB shoves him out of bounds before both feet hit? That was a HUGE advantage for the QB.
Adding a combat football rule ala "NFL Blitz" is taking away an advantage from the QB.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jan 10, 2010 at 13:56:15 ]
Originally posted by NinerFan1979:
It's simple really:

~Ceadder

What advantage? You mean you don't remember that a Receiver can make the catch but still not complete if the DB shoves him out of bounds before both feet hit? That was a HUGE advantage for the QB.

~Ceadder

Give me a break. That happens like once if at all a game. That isn't a big rule that affect the advantage of a QB. We are talking about the contact rules and such. Those have all been changed to allow for higher scoring games, etc. It is the exact reason why stats have exploded and you see guys like Manning and Brady throwing for 50 TDs a year.
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
I thought it was Adam Vinatieri vs. Joe Montana. As far as contributing to post season wins.

great perspective!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
In the end, Peyton will be the greatest. If he wins one more Super Bowl, I think that will do it. You cant judge everything on Super Bowl Wins. I mean, look at Terry Bradshaw. He has 4 victories but is the even in the top 5? No way.

No way. Someone as anti clutch as him should never ever be mentioned when it comes to naming G.O.A.T.

agreed

One had magic

The other had luck, the refs, a great kicker, and a cheating coach (but he was also a very good QB)
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Actually, Joe and the 49ers had a playoff game like this against the Giants. I think it was in January 1988.. The Giants just schooled the 49ers that day. I think Joe may have been knocked out of that game by Jim Burt.

But it wasn't at home though.

1/4/87 . . . brutal game

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198701040nyg.htm

Joe also played like s**t against the Vikings in '87. That's when Walsh pulled him for Young and the controversy ensued.
Share 49ersWebzone