There are 274 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

I'll give you the postseason comment.

But rings shouldn't be what makes the best (insert position here). There's 52 other guys on the team. If 1 or 2 units can't do their job and the rest of the team ain't winning sh*t.

The Colts just set the record for wins in a decade. What's that tell you? He's been doing it with alot less talent than Joe was use to.
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are this generations Dan Marino and Joe Montana, cept this time around Dan Marino has a ring, and Joe Montana wasnt perfect in the postseason.

Brady ceased to compare to Montana when he threw his first Super Bowl interception.
To be fair, did the Joe Montana niners not get blown out by the vikings in '86 or '87? It happens, but I do agree Montana>Brady.
Originally posted by Giggiddy:
Joe Montana has never lost a superbowl.

End of conversation.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

I'll give you the postseason comment.

But rings shouldn't be what makes the best (insert position here). There's 52 other guys on the team. If 1 or 2 units can't do their job and the rest of the team ain't winning sh*t.

The Colts just set the record for wins in a decade. What's that tell you? He's been doing it with alot less talent than Joe was use to.

Totally disagree. Peyton has had top notch talent for almost all his years in the league. Great WRs, good RBs and a great oline. Peyton is barely ever touched. The problem is, when Peyton has gotten to the playoffs he has had bad performances. Defenses have been able to confuse him. Physically he is more talented (as was Elway) than Joe. But that is only hafl the equation. Joe was clutch and that out weighs everything.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
To be fair, did the Joe Montana niners not get blown out by the vikings in '86 or '87? It happens, but I do agree Montana>Brady.

Anthony Carter had a career game

Montana is better than Brady, but he did have a couple of rough playoff games; he got benched by Bill Walsh in that '87 playoff game against Minnesota, and the Giants knocked him out in '86.
Originally posted by nazniner:

Montana is better than Brady, but he did have a couple of rough playoff games; he got benched by Bill Walsh in that '87 playoff game against Minnesota, and the Giants knocked him out in '86.

The Giants knocked him out in 90 with a vicious hit. That is the difference between today and the 80s and 90s. Brady wouldn't be able to survive. Could you imagine if Brady took that hit Montana did from Marshall? The NFL world would be in mourning due to the untimely death of Brady.
Originally posted by NinerFan1979:

The Giants knocked him out in 90 with a vicious hit. That is the difference between today and the 80s and 90s. Brady wouldn't be able to survive. Could you imagine if Brady took that hit Montana did from Marshall? The NFL world would be in mourning due to the untimely death of Brady.

Jim Burt knocked him out first in '86, but the one by Marshall in '90 was just brutal. I don't know if any quarterback would have walked away from either one of those hits.
Montana>Brady

there are many reasons for this

Originally posted by NinerFan1979:

Jim Burt knocked him out first in '86, but the one by Marshall in '90 was just brutal. I don't know if any quarterback would have walked away from either one of those hits.

The one in 86, is that the hit where he basically fore-arms Montana to the head. That s**t was brutal as well. Imagine that stuff happening today.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

In the end, Peyton will be the greatest. If he wins one more Super Bowl, I think that will do it. You cant judge everything on Super Bowl Wins. I mean, look at Terry Bradshaw. He has 4 victories but is the even in the top 5? No way.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
In the end, Peyton will be the greatest. If he wins one more Super Bowl, I think that will do it. You cant judge everything on Super Bowl Wins. I mean, look at Terry Bradshaw. He has 4 victories but is the even in the top 5? No way.

No way. Someone as anti clutch as him should never ever be mentioned when it comes to naming G.O.A.T.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

No way. Someone as anti clutch as him should never ever be mentioned when it comes to naming G.O.A.T.

agreed
Share 49ersWebzone