LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jgalvan:
If Brady would of played with JM he would just be another Dan Marino. Good but not good enough because Joe always took him out.

He may not have been in that class at all if he wasn't in the perfect situation for him. I'm thinking more like a Phil Simms at best...
Originally posted by 9er_84:
Originally posted by wolfpack219:
Ya it's amazing how when Tom Brady is under constant pressure he looks like s**t and constantly rolls out to his right. Geese if I recall that reminds me our OL and QB situation. I wonder how Alex would look if he actually had CONSISTENT protection?

he would look how he's been lookin these past 5 seasons....like cr>p!

I couldnt answer that at all idk how you can.......with confidence even lol
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by jgalvan:
If Brady would of played with JM he would just be another Dan Marino. Good but not good enough because Joe always took him out.

He may not have been in that class at all if he wasn't in the perfect situation for him. I'm thinking more like a Phil Simms at best...

Brady has earned the right to be in the conversation, no doubt. But everyone of Montana's Super Bowl appearances was dominating. He could have easily been given the MVP for the Bengal's game (though I have no argument with Rice getting it). He never lost it nor did he rely on a field goal kicker (twice) to determine the outcome.
[ Edited by BHulman on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM ]
It's like Jordan vs Kobe.
1) Montana played in different era. They had less teams, the no salary cap allowed you to build "super-teams" like the 49ers, Parcells Giants, Gibbs Redskins, and Ditkas Bears, plus the rules back then weren't so bias towards the offense.

2) Montana won 2 super bowls w/o Rice. He had Clark, Solomon, Wendell Tyler, Craig, Russ Francis.

3) Montana dominated in his Super Bowls: he blew out the Dolphins and Broncos.

4) Brady lost a SB and his Patriots won each SB by only a FG. I'll give Brady credit for leading them on game-winning drives each time though.

5) Brady is the closest thing to Montana though and I think he's better than Manning (far better, btw)

Montana > Brady > Manning
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Jordan > Kobe
Young>Montana > Brady
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Faceless:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Jordan > Kobe
Young>Montana > Brady

Magic>Jordan

Magic is the only player in NBA history to play all 5 positions.

BTW...Montana>Young>Marino>Brady.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Joe Montana would have 10 rings if he played in todays NFL! These days the rules have been talored to suit the offense, you can't even touch the QB! Montana was getting killed!

Montana also played against hall of fame defenses as well as other HOF QB's and he gave them the buisness!

I don't think you can compare today's QB's to JMontana at all!

with all that said, I do like Tom Brady though...

I think he would have less. There is a salary cap now. There is more paridy. Eddie D. couldn't manipulate the system to field the best team every year.

Brady plays in an offensive orientated era.

Montana's best season passing (3,910 Yards - 1983) saw just four teams pass for more than 4,000 yards.

Brady's career high of 4,806 in 2007 saw eight teams pass for more than 4,000 yards.

Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have done their best to ensure a team like the 2000 Baltimore Ravens never wins with defense and ball control.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
Brady has earned the right to be in the conversation, no doubt. But everyone of Montana's Super Bowl appearances was dominating. He could have easily been given the MVP for the Bengal's game (though I have no argument with Rice getting it). He never lost it nor did he rely on a field goal kicker (twice) to determine the outcome.

Originally posted by DesiDez:
1) Montana played in different era. They had less teams, the no salary cap allowed you to build "super-teams" like the 49ers, Parcells Giants, Gibbs Redskins, and Ditkas Bears, plus the rules back then weren't so bias towards the offense.

2) Montana won 2 super bowls w/o Rice. He had Clark, Solomon, Wendell Tyler, Craig, Russ Francis.

3) Montana dominated in his Super Bowls: he blew out the Dolphins and Broncos.

4) Brady lost a SB and his Patriots won each SB by only a FG. I'll give Brady credit for leading them on game-winning drives each time though.

5) Brady is the closest thing to Montana though and I think he's better than Manning (far better, btw)

Montana > Brady > Manning

They did play in different era's, however the rules today are not exactly the same as the rules when Brady won his SB's.

Brady won SB's with Branch,Givens, Brown and Patten. Not exactly an all world bunch of WR's and not 1 future HOF'er in the bunch.

You can't take away from Brady because of the final scores in his SB wins. You have to credit the opposing offenses he played, their HC & OC for leading those offenses, the gameplan and the playcalling. You also have to credit opposing defenses as well.

So what he won SB's by leading his team down for a FG...point is he led them down the field. He can only hold the ball for so long before the rush gets to him, and he can't help if his WR's aren't getting open.

Both are great great QB's, and as football fans we are lucky to witness great QB's in this era (Brady, Manning, Brees), just like we were lucky to witness great QB's in previous era's (Montana, Marino, Elway etc).

Montana likely rates ahead of Brady but the margin is very very close.
Brady is about as close to Joe as it gets. Belichick is about as close to Walsh as it gets.

The similarities are striking. Both play or played in systems that were very stable, run by very detail oriented coaches. Both have or had the unconditional trust of their Head Coaches .

The debate will continue...

Originally posted by Giggiddy:
Joe Montana has never lost a superbowl.

End of conversation.

There IS, nothing else to say..

Except that the Niners dominated a couple of them, Brady's played all close SB, a couple of the SB he won going down to the last FG.. Another BIG dif..

I don't have to get used to it.

Montana played in an era when you could hit the QB, when WR could be held, etc.. this is puss league now a days.. Oh NO! I'm dizzy, better sit out for a few weeks..

Hooo Whawwwwww!
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by Giggiddy:
Joe Montana has never lost a superbowl.

End of conversation.

There IS, nothing else to say..

Except that the Niners dominated a couple of them, Brady's played all close SB, a couple of the SB he won going down to the last FG.. Another BIG dif..

I don't have to get used to it.

Montana played in an era when you could hit the QB, when WR could be held, etc.. this is puss league now a days.. Oh NO! I'm dizzy, better sit out for a few weeks..

Hooo Whawwwwww!

Amen bro! End of conversation right here. Joe>Brady(and everyone else for that matter)
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Joe had Walsh and the West Coast
Tom got Bill and the Cameras
i thought this discussion was over a long time ago!

i will give u the quick quick version!

Joe's career started with "the catch"...

Tom's career started with "the tuck rule"...

advantage:

Joe
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Montana could have won a couple more if it where'nt for Roger Craigs fumble and some s**tty officiating against Washington.
Share 49ersWebzone