LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Move David Baas to center

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Baas is a vagina. His feet are slow, he has a really weak hand punch out of his stance, he has marginal leg drive, and he rarely makes it to the second level.

Heitmann is solid, if unspectacular. He's one of our best linemen, and he's far more of a starter than Bass.

Stack Heitman up against other NFL centers and where do you rank him?

He's upper echelon...definitely top 10.

Definately huh?

Look at these links and they dont agree with you.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-05-11/center-rankings-some-smartest-players-field
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/positional-rankings/OFF/C
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2008/7/9/567284/scouting-101-center-rankin
Baas is a vagina. His feet are slow, he has a really weak hand punch out of his stance, he has marginal leg drive, and he rarely makes it to the second level.

Heitmann is solid, if unspectacular. He's one of our best linemen, and he's far more of a starter than Bass.

I can easily name 10 better center's than Eric Heitman;

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Definately huh?

Look at these links and they dont agree with you.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-05-11/center-rankings-some-smartest-players-field
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/positional-rankings/OFF/C
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2008/7/9/567284/scouting-101-center-rankin

Dom Raiola? Shawn O'Hara?

Jesus...the Sporting News list hurt my eyes.

The fact is, Heitmann is definitely in the top third of the league. He's technically sound and very smart. He gets it done without a great deal of flash...and if the Niners had a better record, he'd have more pub.

He has very quick feet, and decent hand punch. He makes up for his lack of top tier power with really good technique. He sets up well in pass protection, keeps his legs underneath him, and does a good job of creating an anchor for the pocket in passing situations.

He is a solid, if unspectacular run blocker that gets it done with speed and technique. Were the guards on either side of him worth a bucket of p*ss, he wouldn't be relied on to bail them out as much. You'll find that he is often asked to help out the weak link inside...Sandy Vagina, uh, I mean David Baas.

Oh...and you might wat to pick lists that aren't a season or two old. Just saying.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Jeff Faine
Justin Hartwig
Olin Kruetz
Jason Brown
Jamaal Jackson
Matt Birk
Al Johnson
Chris Spencer
Hank Fraley
Scott Wells

He isnt even top 20
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

The fact is, Heitmann is definitely in the top third of the league. He's technically sound and very smart. He gets it done without a great deal of flash...and if the Niners had a better record, he'd have more pub.

He has very quick feet, and decent hand punch. He makes up for his lack of top tier power with really good technique. He sets up well in pass protection, keeps his legs underneath him, and does a good job of creating an anchor for the pocket in passing situations.

He is a solid, if unspectacular run blocker that gets it done with speed and technique. Were the guards on either side of him worth a bucket of p*ss, he wouldn't be relied on to bail them out as much. You'll find that he is often asked to help out the weak link inside...Sandy Vagina, uh, I mean David Baas.

Oh...and you might wat to pick lists that aren't a season or two old. Just saying.

Bingo. Baas only does one thing well and that's pull. Heitmann has to peel off to help both Baas and Rachal which is why you don't often see him in the second level.

Replacing him with Baas is a horrible, horrible idea.

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Meester? A so-so leader of a so-so line. Great as a run blocker...questionable pass protector.

McClure? Good pass protector...declining as a run blocker. Good, not great.

Kreutz? Christ...watch the Niner-Bear game and review that assessment. He got jocked all night.

O'Hara? C'mon. Please. O'Hara played like sh*t over the last half of the season.

Koppen? Great pass protector, marginal run blocker.

You've listed some real studs, and some marginal players, too...but you really need to watch games, bro.

Heitmann is the best player on his line, and it isn't close. Watch a game, and watch what he does with almost no help from his left, and a little help on his right. The guy is a bona fide player, and if the Niners had a better record, he'd have the media swinging on his nuts.

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Jeff Faine
Justin Hartwig
Olin Kruetz
Jason Brown
Jamaal Jackson
Matt Birk
Al Johnson
Chris Spencer
Hank Fraley
Scott Wells

He isnt even top 20

Brown? Fraley? Faine?

Here's what you should do:

Turn off the XBox 360, take out the Madden disc, and watch some games.
There is no way I would give the OL controls to Baas. If he cant prove anything as a guard, and if cant tell left from his right, you get the picture. We need to cut our losses with him, he is injury prone and when he does play its like watching geass grow. No thanks I want him as the leader of the OL.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Heitmann is the best player on his line, and it isn't close. Watch a game, and watch what he does with almost no help from his left, and a little help on his right. The guy is a bona fide player, and if the Niners had a better record, he'd have the media swinging on his nuts.

This is why we don't want to move Baas to center.

Rachal is on the ground and Heitmann is blocking two Seattle players by himself.

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Jeff Faine
Justin Hartwig
Olin Kruetz
Jason Brown
Jamaal Jackson
Matt Birk
Al Johnson
Chris Spencer
Hank Fraley
Scott Wells

He isnt even top 20

Brown? Fraley? Faine?

Jason Brown is a big part of Steven Jacksons constant success.

Faine was a Pro Bowl alternate for the 2007 game behind Olin Kreutz.

Fraley wasnt supposed to be there bad copy paste job by me.

Casey Wiegmann was who was supposed to be the guy. A 2008 pro bowler and a reserve this year.

Thinking Heitman is even close to and elite center is crazy talk. I dont play video games, I still have a ps2. I watch football games! You should try it!
[ Edited by MadMartz on Jan 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM ]

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Meester? A so-so leader of a so-so line. Great as a run blocker...questionable pass protector.

Kreutz? Christ...watch the Niner-Bear game and review that assessment. He got jocked all night.

O'Hara? C'mon. Please. O'Hara played like sh*t over the last half of the season.

You've listed some real studs, and some marginal players, too...but you really need to watch games, bro.

Dude Ohara made the Pro Bowl this year. You lose all credibility with that statement.

O'Hara is a two-time Pro-Bowler, playing as reserve Center for the NFC All-Stars in both the 2009 and the 2010 Pro Bowls.

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Jeff Faine
Justin Hartwig
Olin Kruetz
Jason Brown
Jamaal Jackson
Matt Birk
Al Johnson
Chris Spencer
Hank Fraley
Scott Wells

He isnt even top 20

Brown? Fraley? Faine?

Casey Wiegmann was who was supposed to be the guy. A 2008 pro bowler.

Thinking Heitman is even close to and elite center is crazy talk. I dont play video games, I still have a ps2. I watch football games!

Stephen Jackson is a big part of Stephen Jackson's success, and Brown is an average pass blocker. Just ask his QBs.

Faine is a part of perhaps the worst offense I have ever seen. He's above average...but that's it.

Heitman can run block well, and pass block with the best of them. His technique is awesome, and his footwork is superb. He's definitely in the top third of the league.

Mind you, I didn't say top 5...I said top 10. He's the best player on his line, and a complete, intelligent player. He's so good that he's forced to pick up the slack for other guys on his line.

Say what you will, and hate all you want...actual play in actual games doesn't lie.

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Dude Ohara made the Pro Bowl this year. You lose all credibility with that statement.

O'Hara is a two-time Pro-Bowler, playing as reserve Center for the NFC All-Stars in both the 2009 and the 2010 Pro Bowls.

Dude...he's okay. That's it. He's falling off, and it really showed in the last half of the season. Have you watched the Giants this year?

Oh, and I wouldn't mention credibility when you just posted a ranking of the NFL centers that is two years old.
[ Edited by Legbreaker on Jan 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM ]

Jeff Saturday
Matt Birk
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Kevin Mawae
Todd McClure
Shuan O'Hara
Nick Hardwick
Dan Koppen
Ryan Kalil
Brad Meester

Do I need to keep going?

Jeff Faine
Justin Hartwig
Olin Kruetz
Jason Brown
Jamaal Jackson
Matt Birk
Al Johnson
Chris Spencer
Hank Fraley
Scott Wells

He isnt even top 20

Brown? Fraley? Faine?

Casey Wiegmann was who was supposed to be the guy. A 2008 pro bowler.

Thinking Heitman is even close to and elite center is crazy talk. I dont play video games, I still have a ps2. I watch football games!

Stephen Jackson is a big part of Stephen Jackson's success, and Brown is an average pass blocker. Just ask his QBs.

Faine is a part of perhaps the worst offense I have ever seen. He's above average...but that's it.

Heitman can run block well, and pass block with the best of them. His technique is awesome, and his footwork is superb. He's definitely in the top third of the league.

Mind you, I didn't say top 5...I said top 10. He's the best player on his line, and a complete, intelligent player. He's so good that he's forced to pick up the slack for other guys on his line.

Say what you will, and hate all you want...actual play in actual games doesn't lie.

This coming from a guy who thinks Heitman is better than Ohara I would never listen to someone who believed that. Because that person obviously cant judge center talent!
Heitmann is a quality player.

Baas move to center? Are you out of your mind? Other then a few nice run blocks by him, he had a pretty bad year.
Share 49ersWebzone