There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Very impressed with the 9rs and the organization this season...

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Daa-Doo:
LMFAO ... it never fails. The vultures go right to hating. I wonder what a NFL team would look like with them as the leadership; them making the decisions. lol

Classic 9r haters.

We just expect more from our team. We don't excited over being just average.

This organization has a standard that was set a long time ago.

Did you think that we could go from the bottom to the top in ONE year? Ain't gonna happen for anybody. The team moved forward this season and will be better at the start of the next season, when they will move forward some more, possibly making the playoffs. Even the great Bill Walsh took a few years to get to the playoffs. Enjoy the progress the team has made and quit crying.
LMFAO ... it never fails. The vultures go right to hating. I wonder what a NFL team would look like with them as the leadership; them making the decisions. lol

Classic 9r haters.

Understood, and agreed. I am looking at the path that is getting us back there. I look at .500, as that growth to the top. It looks good for the future is what I am saying, where as it hasn't in a long time.

Yes agreed, hopefully we can get that W tommorrow and get there. Only thing that's frustrating is that some crappy teams can turn it around one year, its taking us an entire decade.

Thats what's so frustrating. First the Yorks blew up our team by gutting it of any talent (TO and Garcia in the same year) without a back up plan. Then completly out of nowhere they hire Dennis Erickson, who wasn't even on the radar. After that short stint we bring in Nolan and SLOWLY build the team all the while not being competitive. And for the last 4 years we have had tons of money under the cap...
. So excuse me if I'm not overly impressed with an 8-8 (possibly). We have sucked for 1/3 of my life.

P.S. I do think the Yorks have begun to wise up since originally taking over the team and we are headed in the right direction.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM ]
I think we need to start making the playoffs consistently before anyone can be impressed with anything.
Originally posted by CalgaryNiner:
It's always refreshing to hear some optimism around here. When you really look back objectively at how bad we were the year Nolan took over, no one can deny that we've made progress. Obviously, it's not fast enough for some fans, but you can't please everyone...

Sure, some teams can turn things around with a quick fix. I would challenge someone to come up with an example that didn't already have some solid players to build around. We literally had no talent - maybe Julian Peterson and BY, but that's about it. Rattay, Barlow, Lloyd and Battle were our starters!?! Wow, just wow.

Also, find a team that turned things around quickly that sustained their success. Throwing money at free agents may give you some fast success, but nothing that lasts.

We are building this team the right way - through the draft. It's the slow way, but the right way. I believe that when (not if) we make it back to the elite level, we will have built the team in a way that will last.

IMO, No way do you get to the playoffs by drafting alone. You have to have great drafts. The players careers don't last long enough, free agency and injuries happen. At this rate of improvement some of our main core players now will be gone by the time you improve all the other key positions with just the draft. You need to make a push with FA and trades when you draft some good core players and have them all peak at the same time.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Jan 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM ]
Good read, and i completely agree.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Classic 9r haters.

Understood, and agreed. I am looking at the path that is getting us back there. I look at .500, as that growth to the top. It looks good for the future is what I am saying, where as it hasn't in a long time.

Yes agreed, hopefully we can get that W tommorrow and get there. Only thing that's frustrating is that some crappy teams can turn it around one year, its taking us an entire decade.

Thats what's so frustrating. First the Yorks blew up our team by gutting it of any talent (TO and Garcia in the same year) without a back up plan. Then completly out of nowhere they hire Dennis Erickson, who wasn't even on the radar. After that short stint we bring in Nolan and SLOWLY build the team all the while not being competitive. And for the last 4 years we have had tons of money under the cap...
. So excuse me if I'm not overly impressed with an 8-8 (possibly). We have sucked for 1/3 of my life.

P.S. I do think the Yorks have begun to wise up since originally taking over the team and we are headed in the right direction.

TO wanted off this team big time. He hated Garcia and basically said he was gay. Let's not forget history.
I'm not very impressed but I believe we are a better team than last 4 - 5 seasons. Today - I'm ok w/8-8. Parcells said it best, "YOU are what your record says you are!!!" We are NOT, NOT, NOT a playoff calibre team - yet. Next year, I will not be satisfied w/8- 8.

If we improve our Oline many things will get better. The running game will improve w/lanes and holes for Gore to fly through, Alex will have time to throw - hopefully w/ more accuracy and our D won't have to deal w/ as many 3 & outs.

Thanks for the positive post.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm not very impressed but I believe we are a better team than last 4 - 5 seasons. Today - I'm ok w/8-8. Parcells said it best, "YOU are what your record says you are!!!" We are NOT, NOT, NOT a playoff calibre team - yet. Next year, I will not be satisfied w/8- 8.

If we improve our Oline many things will get better. The running game will improve w/lanes and holes for Gore to fly through, Alex will have time to throw - hopefully w/ more accuracy and our D won't have to deal w/ as many 3 & outs.

Thanks for the positive post.

I expected us to go 9-7 this year and make the playoffs, even if we finished 9-7 we would not have made the playoffs. So going 8-8 m not impressed but i'm ok with it, but I do have alot of excitement about next year.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
You must be either a York or one of their relatives to post such garbage. They took a perennial 10 win team and a contender and ran it straight into the ground. Now 8 years into their rebuilding project we should be excited over a chance at 8-8?
Yes, Alex Smith has improved from the worst excuse for an NFL quarterback to almost crawling out of the bottom 5, big deal. This is the same ole crap from the eternally optimistic, next year will be the year! Next year comes and the team still can't make the play-offs. Until ownership realizes that a nobody GM and a nobody coach won't produce a winner, this team will continue to strive for mediocrity, and that is fact.
We have the most pathetic and clueless GM in football.
Everyone keeps saying how Morgan is a beast. What the f**k has he done!?
Definitly not impressed but it was to be expected without having a NFL caliber QB to start the season. We are a couple peices away and with a good offseason we will be in the playoffs next year. This year we had a shot, just have some holes in key positions and lost some heartbreaking games. We really need a RT, OG and a KR/PR. If we fill this important roles we will be a team to beat.
We have some unrealistic fans with unrealistic expectations from the team as it stood coming into this year. The realistic fans realize this team still has a couple of holes to fill before they are legit contenders. The ones that post constant negativity, but call themselves realists just refuse to see that the team is better. One good off season could fill these needs, a good draft and a couple of free agents that fit the needs we have and we will be competing for the playoffs. We pretty much own this division now, we just have to get better on the road. What I want to see from the team most of all is consistency and balance on the offense, a designated returner, and better play by our secondary. I am happy with the steps the team has taken for the most part, we just have to build on the foundation that has been laid.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Classic 9r haters.

Don't let them get you down!

There are plenty of realistic Niner fans on the board who recognize that Rome wasn't built in a day.

As you say, there were many positive steps made this year. One step at a time.

Starting with two first round picks this year!

Oh, great!!!! Because it's all about 1st round picks. It's not like we don't have 7 former first round picks starting for us already. Let's throw in two more because that will be the key to overcoming the putrid leadership and coaching within this organization.... I can't wait for the day that all 22 of our starters are former first round picks.... 9-7 for sure, baby! Positive steps! Keep our chins up!
[ Edited by posterX on Jan 2, 2010 at 3:40 PM ]
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
they made strides this year. and like each and every team, they can look back and see a few games they let slip away. the future is looking good. despite the haters, a. smith has improved. he wont be manning or brady but there aren't many of those qb's around. this season he has been average. there is no reason whatsoever not to think with a 2nd season in the same system, a full mini-camp/training camp and improved ol play that he won't be at least a slightly above average to above average qb. and guess what? we can when a sb w/that qb play. i will be impressed with this fo if this off-season, they extend willis/davis, sign j. peppers, sign 2 vet ol (dont have to be great, just steady and mean), draft more speed in the secondary and draft a 3rd back/returner.