There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kawakami: 2 out of 4 have to go. The question: which 2

Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Tim K asks the question Jed York will have to ask himself pretty soon: McCloguhan, Smith, Singletary e Raye. At most only two of those 4 will come back next year. The problem: i can't be just ANY two:

Quote:
If you fire McCloughan, what GM would want to come in with Singletary already in place? A new GM would want his own coach.

If you fire Singletary, what makes you think McCloughan can pick the new guy and stock the roster?

If you fire Raye, won’t Singletary be upset? He’s the one who chose Raye, he probably would just hire a Raye clone, anyway.

Smith and McCloughan are tied at the hip. Who is there to take over at QB?
LINK

So, assuming he is right, which road is the better one?
He is saying 2 of them, AT MOST, will be back in 2010. This isnt' a question of "which 2"--it is a question of "which, if any, are coming back next year."

It's almost a set of dominoes. If we fire Scotty, all of them probably go b/c any Gm worth having will want his own HC. That means Singletary is probably gone. W/o Singletary there, Raye is certainly gone. That would only leave Smith--depending on whether or not the new HC wanted him.
Bring in Holmgren as team VP, keep McCloughan (Holmgren and McCloughan worked together in Green Bay and Seattle) and hire Steve Mariucci as head coach. Keep Alex Smith.

Or, do whatever it takes to bring Mike Shanahan here, I would hate to give him front office power but to me he is the best head coach out there.
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
I think we have to keep all 4. I know public enemy #1 right now is Raye and I have been frustrated with his game plans too, but we have to give this coaching staff and Smith 2 full years to see if they can be more than what they are now.

People say it takes 2 full years to fully establish a new scheme/OC. And Alex will have gotten 2 years under the same OC for the first time in his career. Singletary is still a rookie HC. And Scot, well, he is tied to 2 out of the 3 guys.

If year 2 is a bust, then I say it will be clear that we need to clean house.

The definition of crazy is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result - it doesn't matter of this scheme is fully implemented you can not compete in this day's NFL basically trying to go - run run pass - If John Elway couldn't make it work with Dan Reeves then it is not going to work here.

I want to give Alex the best shot at resurrecting his career. What he has gone through especially with 4 OCs in 4 years is ridiculous. Who knows, if you give Alex the same offense two years in a row, he might just flourish. Though I would want Alex to have more say in the game plan and play calling because he seems to do better than Raye does.

I just really don't see his cleaning house or half the house because this is still Singletary first full year as the HC and they usually give a HC more than one year.
I think we have to keep all 4. I know public enemy #1 right now is Raye and I have been frustrated with his game plans too, but we have to give this coaching staff and Smith 2 full years to see if they can be more than what they are now.

People say it takes 2 full years to fully establish a new scheme/OC. And Alex will have gotten 2 years under the same OC for the first time in his career. Singletary is still a rookie HC. And Scot, well, he is tied to 2 out of the 3 guys.

If year 2 is a bust, then I say it will be clear that we need to clean house.

this
I think right now, it's 80-20 Raye stays but that could change

I think it's 95-5 Singletary stays.

I think its 99-1 McCloughan Stays.

I think its 60-40 Alex Smith stays.

Right now, I'd say all four would be back and all four would be on a major hotseat next year.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would keep all 4 and fire the OL coach. Now if Scott or Sing still insists on a run first mentality, then fire both of them. We have the talent to be pass first, and should play to our strength.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Right now, I'd say all four would be back and all four would be on a major hotseat next year.

Exactly. There has only been a handful of head coaches who are fired after one year and that is because they were really terrible like Cam Cameron in Miami. Most organizations will give at least 2 years for a staff to prove themselves.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Exactly. There has only been a handful of head coaches who are fired after one year and that is because they were really terrible like Cam Cameron in Miami. Most organizations will give at least 2 years for a staff to prove themselves.

The problem is that Sing isn't a "normal" 1st year coach. He is a carryover from the previous regime. Heck, the coaching staff is pratically the same!
The only thing that HAS to go is this God-awful o-line.
Tim K is wrong. The team can't handle Alex Smith taking forever to learn another OC. If Raye goes, then Alex is done and he will be on a team that doesn't need to win now so that they can wait 6 years for him to understand everything.

McCloughan stays because it's been five years and we have:
1. Probowl RB
2. possible probowl TE
3. what will be a probowl WR next year or the year after.
4. The best LB in the league
5. a possible probowl NT
6. A top level DE
7. a very strong front 7 minus pass rush

Guess what we are missing folks? OC, pass rush, and a fully developed QB.

I'm sorry, but we have a lot of pieces set and McCloughan stays. Sing stays because it's his second year.

If Jed is his like his uncle, he forces Sing to change out Raye or he overhauls and gets rid of Raye and Sing. Replacing Raye will automatically cause Smith to lose his job as the next guy isn't going to see what Smith is not capable of.
This will be a critical offseason for the franchise. Holmgren, Gruden and Shanahan are available. Hiring one of these as HC could set the franchise up for the next 10 years or more, especially with continuity of the coaching staff. If Singletary flops, we could be in mediocrity land for 10 years.
My prediction is that they will all be back.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Tim K is wrong. The team can't handle Alex Smith taking forever to learn another OC. If Raye goes, then Alex is done and he will be on a team that doesn't need to win now so that they can wait 6 years for him to understand everything.

McCloughan stays because it's been five years and we have:
1. Probowl RB
2. possible probowl TE
3. what will be a probowl WR next year or the year after.
4. The best LB in the league
5. a possible probowl NT
6. A top level DE
7. a very strong front 7 minus pass rush

Guess what we are missing folks? OC, pass rush, and a fully developed QB.

I'm sorry, but we have a lot of pieces set and McCloughan stays. Sing stays because it's his second year.

If Jed is his like his uncle, he forces Sing to change out Raye or he overhauls and gets rid of Raye and Sing. Replacing Raye will automatically cause Smith to lose his job as the next guy isn't going to see what Smith is not capable of.

That is the only reason why I want to keep Raye. I still think Alex can get better once he has a respectable O-line, once he is comfortable with an offense or has more reps in an offense scheme, whether it is spread or conventional or a bit of both, and once he has time to develop chemistry with the guys around him.
Anybody who drafts a Balmer-Rachal-Smith-Wallace combo should be sent to the curb. That draft set us back, way back. Seeing DeSean Jackson kills me every time.

Scot and Raye can go for all I care. And Jed needs to tell Sing that this offense is NOT going to be SMASHMOUTH. It is going to use our skill position players to make plays down the field (Smith, Davis, Crabtree). The era of plodding down the field is over. The best teams in the NFL are not running the ball down people's throats. They are throwing for big yardage, in big chunks.

Lose the stumbling fat guys with no mobility, pick up some quicker lineman who know how to pass block, and find ONE guy who can rush the passer.

Are these issues too challenging to see?
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
make al davis gm of every other NFL team except the Niners

Does the Crypt Keeper have that many clones?

Damn Micheal Keaton anyway. Why did the man have to let that cat out of the bag.

~Ceadder