There are 181 users in the forums

Kawakami: 2 out of 4 have to go. The question: which 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Anybody who drafts a Balmer-Rachal-Smith-Wallace combo should be sent to the curb. That draft set us back, way back. Seeing DeSean Jackson kills me every time.

Scot and Raye can go for all I care. And Jed needs to tell Sing that this offense is NOT going to be SMASHMOUTH. It is going to use our skill position players to make plays down the field (Smith, Davis, Crabtree). The era of plodding down the field is over. The best teams in the NFL are not running the ball down people's throats. They are throwing for big yardage, in big chunks.

Lose the stumbling fat guys with no mobility, pick up some quicker lineman who know how to pass block, and find ONE guy who can rush the passer.

Are these issues too challenging to see?

The Balmer pick still has me scratching my head. I though the Rachel pick was a good one but Rachel has digressed so much from last year. He doesn't seem focused.
Anybody who drafts a Balmer-Rachal-Smith-Wallace combo should be sent to the curb. That draft set us back, way back. Seeing DeSean Jackson kills me every time.

Scot and Raye can go for all I care. And Jed needs to tell Sing that this offense is NOT going to be SMASHMOUTH. It is going to use our skill position players to make plays down the field (Smith, Davis, Crabtree). The era of plodding down the field is over. The best teams in the NFL are not running the ball down people's throats. They are throwing for big yardage, in big chunks.

Lose the stumbling fat guys with no mobility, pick up some quicker lineman who know how to pass block, and find ONE guy who can rush the passer.

I can't believe...

no maybe can't is not a solid word choice...

Ah I got it I absolutely REFUSE to believe that any GM can miss on 5 Lineman choices and hit on ONE.

So this tells me given the suckiness of the Line since Donahue mucked up the team has to be a COACHING issue. Why the hell do we even recycle crappy inept Line Coaches?

I think that if we could get one that is even HALF of Bobby Mack's worth, we would have a better Line. Cause I firmly believe that McKittrick could have turned Kwame into a solid pass blocking RT.

That man could perform miracles with dog turds on the Line.

~Ceadder
Keep Singletary for another year. He deserves one more year. I woujld get rid of Mclueless and Raye
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

I can't believe...

Ah I got it I absolutely REFUSE to believe that any GM can miss on 5 Lineman choices and hit on ONE.

So this tells me given the suckiness of the Line since Donahue mucked up the team has to be a COACHING issue. Why the hell do we even recycle crappy inept Line Coaches?

I think that if we could get one that is even HALF of Bobby Mack's worth, we would have a better Line. Cause I firmly believe that McKittrick could have turned Kwame into a solid pass blocking RT.

~Ceadder

I have to agree with you here. The coaches keep getting away with crap coaching.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Bring in Holmgren as team VP, keep McCloughan (Holmgren and McCloughan worked together in Green Bay and Seattle) and hire Steve Mariucci as head coach. Keep Alex Smith.

Or, do whatever it takes to bring Mike Shanahan here, I would hate to give him front office power but to me he is the best head coach out there.
that would be so sick if we could get holmgren to take that job. I think that if he came into that postion next year, the only person who would be gone is raye. i think scotty would keep sing
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

I can't believe...

~Ceadder

I agree 100%. I understand how a GM can have some bad picks on the O-line. But only one good pick out of 5 (Staley vs. Baas/Snyder/Rachel/Wallace)? There is no way. And all of these with the exception of Wallace were taken in the first three rounds. I am more willing to say this is a coaching issue first and foremost. Scot may have done a bad job at picking some guys..but seriously, one out of five?

As for him passing up on Jackson twice for Rachel and Balmer, I think I understand the logic, though I may not agree with it. After the '07 team, Larry Allen retired, so they were looking for some help on the O-line. We also had some issues with our D-line that had not been worked out. The problem with Scot is that for a rebuilding team, he has drafted TOO many players that were projects, not NFL ready, and would need a few years of development before they could become major contributors. This drafting philosophy has stunted our growth over the past 5 seasons. Drafting project players requires top notch coaching, something we have not had since the 90s.

I don't think it's necessary for anyone to be let go this offseason, with the exception of the offseason coach. Scot, Mike, Jimmy, and Alex have all shown that they have all had some bright spots. I'd like to see what this team can do with an offseason of continuity for once. Going into training camp with the same offense they used the previous season. Can you imagine? We might actually be able to open up a little more and get more creative because the majority of the players will know exactly what they have to do and will have some experience in the system. The only catch is that some concessions need to be made by the coaching staff. For one, the power running philosophy has to go. They also need to make better use of the talent on the team. Singletary may be at a disadvantage for this one, but he needs to bring in a better group of position coaches. If he doesn't know anyone at the pro level, look through the college ranks. And the GM needs to draft players that are ready to contribute from day one instead of the the project players that are filled with "potential."
Ideally we would get a football executive to make the football decisions as opposed to the dumbass Yorks. Their track record is down right putrid. But I have completely given up hope on that ever happening.

I honestly have a hard time seeing this organization making any major changes in the offseason. I see a scenario where the team wins the last two games against the Rams and Lions and the ownership is fooled into believing everything is okay. That's been the scenario this whole decade. Even if they show some guts and make some changes they'll just replace incompetence with incompetence. It is hard to expect anything else from this ownerwship.
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
I think we have to keep all 4. I know public enemy #1 right now is Raye and I have been frustrated with his game plans too, but we have to give this coaching staff and Smith 2 full years to see if they can be more than what they are now.

People say it takes 2 full years to fully establish a new scheme/OC. And Alex will have gotten 2 years under the same OC for the first time in his career. Singletary is still a rookie HC. And Scot, well, he is tied to 2 out of the 3 guys.

If year 2 is a bust, then I say it will be clear that we need to clean house.

The definition of crazy is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result - it doesn't matter of this scheme is fully implemented you can not compete in this day's NFL basically trying to go - run run pass - If John Elway couldn't make it work with Dan Reeves then it is not going to work here.

I don;t know if it is the definition of crazy, but most certainly it is the definition of incompetence...which is even worse than crazy in this situation.
Yea true that the o line coach has to go. that should be a given.

Co-signed. Scot and Raye are the 2 I'd dump. Promote Mike Johnson to OC for some continuity. Overhaul the OLine and do more of what we're successful at.

goobye McCloughan, Hello Mike Holmgren

goodbye Jimmy Raye a.k.a. Hostler Jr., Hello Brian Billick

If some drastic changes don't continue to be made(going to a spread style offense) then Singletary and company will be gone. If changes are made and there is an improvement then I see the OLine coach being shipped out and that is about it. I don't see Singletary being fired and I don't see another OC being brought in for what the 153rd consecutive year(that is an exaggeration ) The offense has the talent, just not the right coaches.
Let's get the 49ers back on track. Clean house, get Holmgren as GM and let him decide on what happens with personnel.

Change that position and we will see good things happen, Sing or no Sing, I want this team back to what it's good at and that's offense.
Sit Sing down after the season and explain if he wants to keep the job then an asst. head coach will be brought in to help guild him while he learns what he is doing. And let him know Raye is not welcome back. Tell Scott to F'n pay a guard or two some money because they are kinda important to the Oline and to draft the best OT with the first pick in the draft even if it is a little bit of a reach at the pick.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Alex Stays...He PROVEN NOT TO BE THE PROBLEM......

Jimmy GOTTA Go & Maybe Sing.....

Scotty....He has some good picks (Gore, V.Davis, Alex Smith, Crabz, Morgan, J.Hill, T.Brown, P.Willis, etc......MOST OF HIS O-LINEMAN ARE NOT GOOD PICKS.
Share 49ersWebzone