There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kawakami: 2 out of 4 have to go. The question: which 2

Tim K asks the question Jed York will have to ask himself pretty soon: McCloguhan, Smith, Singletary e Raye. At most only two of those 4 will come back next year. The problem: i can't be just ANY two:

Quote:
If you fire McCloughan, what GM would want to come in with Singletary already in place? A new GM would want his own coach.

If you fire Singletary, what makes you think McCloughan can pick the new guy and stock the roster?

If you fire Raye, won’t Singletary be upset? He’s the one who chose Raye, he probably would just hire a Raye clone, anyway.

Smith and McCloughan are tied at the hip. Who is there to take over at QB?
LINK

So, assuming he is right, which road is the better one?
  • Mex49
When given a chance Smith at least looks average, I cant say that about Scot, Mike or Jimmy
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I get rid of Sing. He is not ready to be a head coach. He wasn't even a D cord. There are a lot of times you can tell he doesn't know what is going on and this rara stuff isn't working anymore. He also knows nothing about offense.
if Sing goes, then of course Raye goes, and imo Alex goes.

If Scott goes, imo everyone goes.

Raye can be the only one to go, maybe they promote Mike Johnson?

make al davis gm of every other NFL team except the Niners
Originally posted by teeohh:

The first is not true. Remember: Scot is Alex's big supporter. If he stays, Alex stays.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Tim K asks the question Jed York will have to ask himself pretty soon: McCloguhan, Smith, Singletary e Raye. At most only two of those 4 will come back next year. The problem: i can't be just ANY two:

Quote:
If you fire McCloughan, what GM would want to come in with Singletary already in place? A new GM would want his own coach.

If you fire Singletary, what makes you think McCloughan can pick the new guy and stock the roster?

If you fire Raye, won’t Singletary be upset? He’s the one who chose Raye, he probably would just hire a Raye clone, anyway.

Smith and McCloughan are tied at the hip. Who is there to take over at QB?
LINK

So, assuming he is right, which road is the better one?

Frankly I am saying all of them IF York is willing to spend and go out and get a really strong GM type and let him find his coach - the decision has to be made fast though like as SOON as the season finishes none of this 8 week delay crap.

McClueless HAS got to go - his mediocre player approach is crap.

Singletary - Needs to be a College coach - that game is more suited to motivation and talk Pro's are coaching and scheme which he has no ability to do. BTW that does not make him dumb it just means he has a different skill set.

Raye - Put him back in the retirement home - how this guy was an option i will never know - he wasn't good in his fricking prime so why someone thought he could make a difference now I will never understand.

Smith - well that needs to be up to the new regime. But it needs to be a clean decision either he is the starter and they are going to mold him or he is not the QB for the team - cut him and be done with it.

Timmy K is right on as usual.
I think we have to keep all 4. I know public enemy #1 right now is Raye and I have been frustrated with his game plans too, but we have to give this coaching staff and Smith 2 full years to see if they can be more than what they are now.

People say it takes 2 full years to fully establish a new scheme/OC. And Alex will have gotten 2 years under the same OC for the first time in his career. Singletary is still a rookie HC. And Scot, well, he is tied to 2 out of the 3 guys.

If year 2 is a bust, then I say it will be clear that we need to clean house.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A

Raye goes and Johnson replaces him, I think that was the plan from the beginning. But if he's just going to run Raye's offense I'm not too excited about it...
Originally posted by valrod33:
make al davis gm of every other NFL team except the Niners

depends on how the season unfolds. If sing continues to pursue this smashmouth philosophy, you have to question his willingness to adjust and play to his players strengths.

If he and raye do adjust but the team still sucks, the you need to look at dumping smith and mccloughan because then they are the ones failing. Another change is going to slow the team down again but whether it's going to be necessary will be how the team plays.

Of course, the team has played well when it doesn't matter the last few years and so far, there has been no carryover. Lots of things to jed to consider this season.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
I think we have to keep all 4. I know public enemy #1 right now is Raye and I have been frustrated with his game plans too, but we have to give this coaching staff and Smith 2 full years to see if they can be more than what they are now.

People say it takes 2 full years to fully establish a new scheme/OC. And Alex will have gotten 2 years under the same OC for the first time in his career. Singletary is still a rookie HC. And Scot, well, he is tied to 2 out of the 3 guys.

If year 2 is a bust, then I say it will be clear that we need to clean house.

The definition of crazy is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result - it doesn't matter of this scheme is fully implemented you can not compete in this day's NFL basically trying to go - run run pass - If John Elway couldn't make it work with Dan Reeves then it is not going to work here.
Scott needs to go for sure. I'm hold off and keep evaluating Smith.
Good article.

No doubt York is in a tough situation. To me, i think that this is how i think it's played out:

I think Singletary is given another year.

Unless Raye goes to a more spread look, he's fired.

Smith goes unless Raye moves to the spread. To me, Smith excels in the spread offense and little else. If we have no plans to run the spread, Smith is not the right QB.

McCloughan - i honestly don't know.

-9fA
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

The first is not true. Remember: Scot is Alex's big supporter. If he stays, Alex stays.

Not anymore. Check out this vid

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM ]