There are 502 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by backontop:

Exactly... But, the O-line does not make a QB elite; that's all I'm saying. The QB must do that on his own.

Well we will never have an Elite QB until we have a solid OLine so why is everyone crying for Smith's head on a plate?

Have you watched this kid play? He's still staring down receivers, has problems seeing the safety, getting the play off in time, seeing the entire field, decision making, etc...

I, for one, am not impressed with his play and when you're talking about the what have you done for me lately league; 6 losses out of his last 7 starts doesn't inspire much confidence. Especially when a lesser talented QB (Hill) has been able to get us 4 wins out of his last 7 games with the same O-line and team talent.

yes I have seen him play. I have seen him play better than he had in the past and with him only 3 games back from being out of football for 2 years I will wait to make a verdict on Smith. Hill didn't get those 4 wins the defense did. When the defense couldn't get it done we lost and why you ask? Because Hill is a career 3rd string QB and nothing more.

Exactly... But, the O-line does not make a QB elite; that's all I'm saying. The QB must do that on his own.

Well we will never have an Elite QB until we have a solid OLine so why is everyone crying for Smith's head on a plate?

Have you watched this kid play? He's still staring down receivers, has problems seeing the safety, getting the play off in time, seeing the entire field, decision making, etc...

I, for one, am not impressed with his play and when you're talking about the what have you done for me lately league; 6 losses out of his last 7 starts doesn't inspire much confidence. Especially when a lesser talented QB (Hill) has been able to get us 4 wins out of his last 7 games with the same O-line and team talent.

yes I have seen him play. I have seen him play better than he had in the past and with him only 3 games back from being out of football for 2 years I will wait to make a verdict on Smith. Hill didn't get those 4 wins the defense did. When the defense couldn't get it done we lost and why you ask? Because Hill is a career 3rd string QB and nothing more.

And you think that Alex Smith won the Bears game? What will you say if the Packers stomps the heck out of the niners and Smith throws a few picks? Not Smith's fault?
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

And you think that Alex Smith won the Bears game? What will you say if the Packers stomps the heck out of the niners and Smith throws a few picks? Not Smith's fault?

I never said that Smith won the bears game. I think that the defense won the bears game and that Singletary and Raye almost lost it. If the scenario with the packers happens that you described you would have to look at the plays where the INT's happened. If a WR falls down and gets INT is that really on the QB? Now if he completely just throws them to the defender then it would be that Smith didn't do his job to help the team win. Remember this is a team sport.

If they stomp the heck out of the Niners a couple of picks won't make a whole lot of difference. Football is not like boxing. QB's contribute as much as anybody to victories or defeats but ultimately it is usually the team effort that determines either.

Quarterbacks are going to throw to throw picks. Especially QBs who throw the ball downfield. The question is usually can they make the big plays that can offset these? Rodgers might well throw a couple of picks. But I have no doubt he will also come up with some big plays. Smith needs to do the same.
[ Edited by BHulman on Nov 20, 2009 at 4:23 PM ]
  • ZRF80

I love it. Your delusions are getting worse and worse. Now, you're defending Smith's losses by saying that Hill never won those games, the defense did. You're absolutely right. Hill didnt drive us down in the 4th quarter of the game opener in Arizona for a winning TD. Hill didnt kill 9 minutes off the clock in the 2nd half against Seattler. Hill didnt take us on a long drive against Minn. for what shouldve been a game winning TD. Hill didnt do any of those. The defense did.

Oh, but poor Alex. The defense just caved when he becomes starter. I mean.God forbid we get 5 INTs against an opponent. You cant expect Smith to do anything with that.......it's just not enough.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by BHulman:

If they stomp the heck out of the Niners a couple of picks won't make a whole lot of difference. Football is not like boxing. QB's contribute as much as anybody to victories or defeats but ultimately it is usually the team effort that determines either.

Quarterbacks are going to throw to throw picks. Especially QBs who throw the ball downfield. The question is usually can they make the big plays that can offset these? Rodgers might well throw a couple of picks. But I have no doubt he will also come up with some big plays. Smith needs to do the same.

The question is CAN he do the same ? Rodgers, with his poor oline, amkes things happen. Smith, with his poor oline, does not. And this isnt new for Smith. This has been a recurrent nightmare for him ever since he was drafted. For some reason, the lot of ya are convinced that he will break out of this shell eventually. The rest of us still waiting...............
Originally posted by ZRF80:

I love it. Your delusions are getting worse and worse. Now, you're defending Smith's losses by saying that Hill never won those games, the defense did. You're absolutely right. Hill didnt drive us down in the 4th quarter of the game opener in Arizona for a winning TD. Hill didnt kill 9 minutes off the clock in the 2nd half against Seattler. Hill didnt take us on a long drive against Minn. for what shouldve been a game winning TD. Hill didnt do any of those. The defense did.

Oh, but poor Alex. The defense just caved when he becomes starter. I mean.God forbid we get 5 INTs against an opponent. You cant expect Smith to do anything with that.......it's just not enough.

This coming from the guy that wants Vick as our starting QB

The defense played like crap for a good 3 or 4 games. That was the beginning of the Hill failure. Smith came in and performed when Hill couldn't. The defense got 5 INT's against the bears and then hands the ball over to Raye and his pathetic play calling. Are you aware that Raye ran the same offensive play 4 plays in a row! WTF I don't even do that on Madden! But I guess that is Smith's fault too
  • ZRF80

The defense played like crap for a good 3 or 4 games. That was the beginning of the Hill failure. Smith came in and performed when Hill couldn't. The defense got 5 INT's against the bears and then hands the ball over to Raye and his pathetic play calling. Are you aware that Raye ran the same offensive play 4 plays in a row! WTF I don't even do that on Madden! But I guess that is Smith's fault too

When you say "performed", are you referring to the game ending interception against the Texans or the game ending interceptionS (plural) against the Titans. Or are you referring to the 9 handoffs he made to the running backs against the Bears in the 4th quarter. Please be more specific.........

When you say "performed", are you referring to the game ending interception against the Texans or the game ending interceptionS (plural) against the Titans. Or are you referring to the 9 handoffs he made to the running backs against the Bears in the 4th quarter. Please be more specific.........

no I am referring to the 3 TD's he threw against the Texans. You know the second game in a row that Hill was pretty much useless. I think it is pretty funny that Smith has almost hit Hill's stats for the year in 2 1/2 starts compared to Hill's 4 1/2 starts. But yet you drool over Hill's nuts like he pays your rent.
  • ZRF80

no I am referring to the 3 TD's he threw against the Texans. You know the second game in a row that Hill was pretty much useless. I think it is pretty funny that Smith has almost hit Hill's stats for the year in 2 1/2 starts compared to Hill's 4 1/2 starts. But yet you drool over Hill's nuts like he pays your rent.

Yopu're right. And he's thrown 3 times as many INTs, fumbled just as much, and has our offense ranked at 25. You're right.......he's really lighting it up.

Yopu're right. And he's thrown 3 times as many INTs, fumbled just as much, and has our offense ranked at 25. You're right.......he's really lighting it up.

yea so lets sigh Michael Vick that will solve everything. Your credability in regards to QB's was shot when you called for Vick. Smith give the 49ers offense the best chance at winning whether you like him or not. Hill sucks and Davis will never see the field this year. So you are stuck with Smith. If you hate him so much I hear the Patriots are looking for more bandwagon fans.
  • TDking876
  • Info N/A
  • ZRF80

yea so lets sigh Michael Vick that will solve everything. Your credability in regards to QB's was shot when you called for Vick. Smith give the 49ers offense the best chance at winning whether you like him or not. Hill sucks and Davis will never see the field this year. So you are stuck with Smith. If you hate him so much I hear the Patriots are looking for more bandwagon fans.

My friend, you talk about credibility, and you sit there making excuses for Smith. You say his INTs shouldnt count because they were the receiver's fault; and then you flip things and say Hill's wins shouldnt count because the defense won it for him. You say that we should wait on Smith because:

A) he's only 25 years old
B) he doesnt have a good supporting cast
C) he doesnt have a good oline
D) his defense isnt playing up to par since he took over
E) he's had 5 coordinators in 5 years
F) his receivers tip the ball
G) his receivers drop the ball
H) he's a B ranked QB (one slot below Manning/Brady) because he's played admirably despite the team's deficiencies
I) he's only been back for 3 games (so lets forget his other 2+ season starts)
J) when coach Sing doesnt let him throw the ball in the 4th, its more of a game philosophy than not trusting in Smith's ability

And then you tell me I have no credibility ? What a laugher.........

Well, if you've seen him play then you've answered your own question. You know "why is everyone crying for Smith's head on a plate"?

I agree, Hill isn't all that good. What does it say when he's led us to more comeback wins than Smith though? What does it mean when his safe conservative type of play has helped keep us in the game by limiting turnovers and stretching out drives? Most importantly is, why can't a supposedly better all around QB do at least as good as, as you called him, a 3rd string QB and nothing more?

Stop with the excuses... Alex sucks just as bad, if not worse than Hill does. This team needs a real QB not some 3rd string guy or even the guy who's replaced him and still can't get the job done.

My friend, you talk about credibility, and you sit there making excuses for Smith. You say his INTs shouldnt count because they were the receiver's fault; and then you flip things and say Hill's wins shouldnt count because the defense won it for him. You say that we should wait on Smith because:

A) he's only 25 years old
B) he doesnt have a good supporting cast
C) he doesnt have a good oline
D) his defense isnt playing up to par since he took over
E) he's had 5 coordinators in 5 years
F) his receivers tip the ball
G) his receivers drop the ball
H) he's a B ranked QB (one slot below Manning/Brady) because he's played admirably despite the team's deficiencies
I) he's only been back for 3 games (so lets forget his other 2+ season starts)
J) when coach Sing doesnt let him throw the ball in the 4th, its more of a game philosophy than not trusting in Smith's ability

And then you tell me I have no credibility ? What a laugher.........

wow way to put words in someones mouth. I never said that Smith's INT's shouldn't count on him. What I said was that all of the blame shouldn't fall on him for the INT's that were tipped 10 ft in the air. And That is a nice list of crap I never said as well. The only thing I have said about waiting to judge Smith was wait the till the season is over seems how he is 2 1/2 games in from not starting a NFL game for 2 years due to injury. He has showed improvement from the last time he started so why judge him on something from 2 years ago. I guess we should judge you on all of your mistakes you have made over your entire lifetime because apparently people can't learn from them, mature and improve
Share 49ersWebzone