LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Do you guys realize that really only 1 of Cutlers INTs, borderline 2, were HIS fault? Take a look at the 3 INTs that weren't Cutler's fault compared to the INTs that "weren't" Alex's fault and you will see a huge difference.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Do you guys realize that really only 1 of Cutlers INTs, borderline 2, were HIS fault? Take a look at the 3 INTs that weren't Cutler's fault compared to the INTs that "weren't" Alex's fault and you will see a huge difference.

There were so many, I don;t remember them all.

But I do reacll that 4th pick looked like PI not called against the 49ers...or at least very borderline. The receiver got pushed aside from behind before the ball got there.
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
According to their play right now. Alex is ahead of both Cutler and JaMarcus. I don't see anything funny about this...

THE TRUTH

Look, we all want Alex to improve but look at what we have dumbed down to.

We have now went away from comparing Smith to Vince Young because Young is helping his team get wins. So, now we go to the next set of QBs who are having a crap year.

Each year it has been different QBs. Don't you see a pattern? We keep comparing Smith to the next crap play from QB flavor of the month. Hmm, why haven't we compared Alex to at least the 2nd quarter level of QBs?

...maybe because it's obvious that Alex is STILL playing in the bottom quarter level of QBs?

Dude, personally I doubt that you really want Alex to improve.
According to their play right now. Alex is ahead of both Cutler and JaMarcus. I don't see anything funny about this...

THE TRUTH

We have now went away from comparing Smith to Vince Young because Young is helping his team get wins. So, now we go to the next set of QBs who are having a crap year.

Each year it has been different QBs. Don't you see a pattern? We keep comparing Smith to the next crap play from QB flavor of the month. Hmm, why haven't we compared Alex to at least the 2nd quarter level of QBs?

...maybe because it's obvious that Alex is STILL playing in the bottom quarter level of QBs?

I would agree with you, but the Titans have an excellent running attack. Look at their average run yards per game compared to ours. Plus their defense is healthy now.

YARDS PER GAME
2nd overall - Tennessee Titans 161.8
22nd overall - SF 49ers 102.3

Now tell me who's helping who? Did Alex get any help when Crabtree dropped that pass on the slant route near the goal line? When we were up did we go to a conservative game plan? There are things this team could do to help each other, it's not all on one person.

Yeah, I thought the one at the goalline and the one in the end zone to end the game were both on Cutler. One was the close PI non-call, 1 the WR fell down, and the other 1 I can't remember. But I remember saying during the game that I thought only the 2 were directly on Cutler.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

Of course...don't you have a chubby for Alex too?
Ive noticed a slight improvement in his mechanics(no more locked knee on front throwing foot) and accuracy on his mid range throws, Ive also noticed his blocking has improved(preseason vs. RAIDERS), I havent seen alot of his long range ability this season but he used to overthrow alot, now it seems like hes underthrowing his targets. We'll see what the future has in store for our beloved "SMITH".
I'll give Alex a A+ for being garbage...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kemp_j:
C in my book. The more he starts the better he is going to be. Breakout game against the Pack this week!!!

Yes I'm on the Alex bandwagon!!!

In my book he's a capital F, I honestly wanted him to be great, but he failed so many times.
Breakout game???? Please.... He's a bust!!
I really hope we win
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
C in my book. The more he starts the better he is going to be. Breakout game against the Pack this week!!!

Yes I'm on the Alex bandwagon!!!

In my book he's a capital F, I honestly wanted him to be great, but he failed so many times.
Breakout game???? Please.... He's a bust!!
I really hope we win

Ok, so we disagree on Alex. I think he's going to be great and you think he's a bust.

I'm glad to know you want the Niner's to win......

THE TRUTH

I would agree with you, but the Titans have an excellent running attack. Look at their average run yards per game compared to ours. Plus their defense is healthy now.

YARDS PER GAME

Now tell me who's helping who? Did Alex get any help when Crabtree dropped that pass on the slant route near the goal line? When we were up did we go to a conservative game plan? There are things this team could do to help each other, it's not all on one person.

Yep and not to mention some of the passes that Young threw in that game. The one to Justin Gage was actually a really horrible throw by Young, but Gage went up and made a huge play on it. I dont remember the last time one of our WRs did that for Smith.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

THE TRUTH

YARDS PER GAME

Yep and not to mention some of the passes that Young threw in that game. The one to Justin Gage was actually a really horrible throw by Young, but Gage went up and made a huge play on it. I dont remember the last time one of our WRs did that for Smith.

Glad to see there are some people on here that actually watch the games and pay attention to how it's a team sport.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

THE TRUTH

YARDS PER GAME

Glad to see there are some people on here that actually watch the games and pay attention to how it's a team sport.

but but but it's all Smiths fault.
Originally posted by BHulman:

THE TRUTH

Personally, I do want him to improve but when comparisons between him playing better than QBs who are playing like crap right now shouldn't excite anyone, especially someone who is trying to show that Alex still has a chance. To add on, I don't want to see tired endless excuses of why 4 INTs weren't his fault.

Call it like it is: We want him to get better but he is showing his old habits again.
Originally posted by BHulman:

THE TRUTH

Personally, I do want him to improve but when comparisons between him playing better than QBs who are playing like crap right now shouldn't excite anyone, especially someone who is trying to show that Alex still has a chance. To add on, I don't want to see tired endless excuses of why 4 INTs weren't his fault.

Call it like it is: We want him to get better but he is showing his old habits again.

Ok, when was the last time you seen one of our WRs take a short/intermediate pass and take it the distance? When was the last time you seen one of our WRs make a game breaking catch? Maybe we should be looking at our WRs? Or maybe our Oline? I dunno, last I heard it takes more than 1 person to play this sport.
Share 49ersWebzone