Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Originally posted by Goldtimer:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Joecool:
According to their play right now. Alex is ahead of both Cutler and JaMarcus. I don't see anything funny about this...

THE TRUTH

Look, we all want Alex to improve but look at what we have dumbed down to.

We have now went away from comparing Smith to Vince Young because Young is helping his team get wins. So, now we go to the next set of QBs who are having a crap year.

Each year it has been different QBs. Don't you see a pattern? We keep comparing Smith to the next crap play from QB flavor of the month. Hmm, why haven't we compared Alex to at least the 2nd quarter level of QBs?

...maybe because it's obvious that Alex is STILL playing in the bottom quarter level of QBs?

I would agree with you, but the Titans have an excellent running attack. Look at their average run yards per game compared to ours. Plus their defense is healthy now.

YARDS PER GAME
2nd overall - Tennessee Titans 161.8
22nd overall - SF 49ers 102.3

Now tell me who's helping who? Did Alex get any help when Crabtree dropped that pass on the slant route near the goal line? When we were up did we go to a conservative game plan? There are things this team could do to help each other, it's not all on one person.

Yep and not to mention some of the passes that Young threw in that game. The one to Justin Gage was actually a really horrible throw by Young, but Gage went up and made a huge play on it. I dont remember the last time one of our WRs did that for Smith.

Glad to see there are some people on here that actually watch the games and pay attention to how it's a team sport.

It is the ultimate team sport. People who pay attention have said it over and over and over: look at Cutler, Orton, Cassell, Warner, etc. They have either gone from garbage to solid, solid to garbage, or back and forth and it all is dependent on how their O line played.
Originally posted by BHulman:
According to their play right now. Alex is ahead of both Cutler and JaMarcus. I don't see anything funny about this...

THE TRUTH

We have now went away from comparing Smith to Vince Young because Young is helping his team get wins. So, now we go to the next set of QBs who are having a crap year.

Each year it has been different QBs. Don't you see a pattern? We keep comparing Smith to the next crap play from QB flavor of the month. Hmm, why haven't we compared Alex to at least the 2nd quarter level of QBs?

...maybe because it's obvious that Alex is STILL playing in the bottom quarter level of QBs?

Dude, personally I doubt that you really want Alex to improve.

Personally, I do want him to improve but when comparisons between him playing better than QBs who are playing like crap right now shouldn't excite anyone, especially someone who is trying to show that Alex still has a chance. To add on, I don't want to see tired endless excuses of why 4 INTs weren't his fault.

Call it like it is: We want him to get better but he is showing his old habits again.

Ok, when was the last time you seen one of our WRs take a short/intermediate pass and take it the distance? When was the last time you seen one of our WRs make a game breaking catch? Maybe we should be looking at our WRs? Or maybe our Oline? I dunno, last I heard it takes more than 1 person to play this sport.

There are many, many teams with WRs who are not game breakers and those teams still have better passing attacks.

A QB makes an offense. The confidence alone in a QB, the leader, the signal caller, the man with the ball can do wonders to a team.

THE TRUTH

Personally, I do want him to improve but when comparisons between him playing better than QBs who are playing like crap right now shouldn't excite anyone, especially someone who is trying to show that Alex still has a chance. To add on, I don't want to see tired endless excuses of why 4 INTs weren't his fault.

Call it like it is: We want him to get better but he is showing his old habits again.

Ok, when was the last time you seen one of our WRs take a short/intermediate pass and take it the distance? When was the last time you seen one of our WRs make a game breaking catch? Maybe we should be looking at our WRs? Or maybe our Oline? I dunno, last I heard it takes more than 1 person to play this sport.

There are many, many teams with WRs who are not game breakers and those teams still have better passing attacks.

A QB makes an offense. The confidence alone in a QB, the leader, the signal caller, the man with the ball can do wonders to a team.

I agree with you on that, but there is always the other side of the coin. Right now what most people being called "Alex-lovers" are saying is that you cant really put all the blame on him. You cant put all the blame on the O-line either, but its not an illusion that at least one of the 5 starting OL on this team is getting torched on almost every single pass play.

Like someone else said earlier, there are a few things you will never hear this year, and "You cant give the QB that much time in the pocket, or someone is going to break free" is one of them. I dont think anyone is saying that Smith is going to be a dominant QB. I think they are saying that without a good OL giving him time, you will never know. The same goes for Shaun Hill when he was QB, but with Smith you cant see the physical limitations that you see with Hill.

THE TRUTH

A QB makes the offense??? Thats odd because I was always under the impression the OLine made the offense.
Originally posted by backontop:

THE TRUTH

A QB makes the offense??? Thats odd because I was always under the impression the OLine made the offense.

The offensive line is more important for sure. Anyone that knows football knows that you build from the line of scrimmage. That is the problem with this team, we started by drafting a QB before we had the line to protect him.

THE TRUTH

True, it all starts up front; but, I have never seen a lineman make a 40 TD throw or make safeties respect the deep ball and not put 9 in the box. We must have a solid O-line, no doubt about that; however, I agree with Joe. The QB is what Makes the O...
Originally posted by D_Niner:

THE TRUTH

True, it all starts up front; but, I have never seen a lineman make a 40 TD throw or make safeties respect the deep ball and not put 9 in the box. We must have a solid O-line, no doubt about that; however, I agree with Joe. The QB is what Makes the O...

So you can take a good QB and stick him behind a line that sucks and you will expect he would do better than a average QB behind a great line? A good QB is almost as important if you want to be a passing team, but the offensive line is the foundation stone of the offense, if it sucks, your offense sucks, no matter who the QB is.

THE TRUTH

There is no one person that makes an offense or a defense. It is a team sport, therefore everyones combined effort is what makes an Offense or Defense legit. You can't have an effective QB or RB without a solid OLine. You can't have play maker WR's without the effective QB and RB behind the Solid OLine.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

THE TRUTH

So you can take a good QB and stick him behind a line that sucks and you will expect he would do better than a average QB behind a great line? A good QB is almost as important if you want to be a passing team, but the offensive line is the foundation stone of the offense, if it sucks, your offense sucks, no matter who the QB is.

How the hell can you read that into what I said???
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

THE TRUTH

How the hell can you read that into what I said???

fail

THE TRUTH

There is no one person that makes an offense or a defense. It is a team sport, therefore everyones combined effort is what makes an Offense or Defense legit. You can't have an effective QB or RB without a solid OLine. You can't have play maker WR's without the effective QB and RB behind the Solid OLine.

I agree with most of that... All parts are required, you cannot neglect a single area and expect to be good; but, to be great is another story... Think of the Colts if they didn't have Manning or the Vikings last year without Favre... These are examples of where the player has made the O what it is.

THE TRUTH

I agree with most of that... All parts are required, you cannot neglect a single area and expect to be good; but, to be great is another story... Think of the Colts if they didn't have Manning or the Vikings last year without Favre... These are examples of where the player has made the O what it is.

yes and both of your examples are behind solid OLines. A QB can't be an elite QB behind a pathetic OLine.

THE TRUTH

yes and both of your examples are behind solid OLines. A QB can't be an elite QB behind a pathetic OLine.

Exactly... But, the O-line does not make a QB elite; that's all I'm saying. The QB must do that on his own.

THE TRUTH

Exactly... But, the O-line does not make a QB elite; that's all I'm saying. The QB must do that on his own.

Well we will never have an Elite QB until we have a solid OLine so why is everyone crying for Smith's head on a plate?

Well we will never have an Elite QB until we have a solid OLine so why is everyone crying for Smith's head on a plate?

Have you watched this kid play? He's still staring down receivers, has problems seeing the safety, getting the play off in time, seeing the entire field, decision making, etc...

I, for one, am not impressed with his play and when you're talking about the what have you done for me lately league; 6 losses out of his last 7 starts doesn't inspire much confidence. Especially when a lesser talented QB (Hill) has been able to get us 4 wins out of his last 7 games with the same O-line and team talent.
Share 49ersWebzone