There are 239 users in the forums

Dont blame Alex Smith...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Win. Lets have it for the win.
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Alex play was ok tonight, however was very frustrated with Raye play calling who again fell into his own trap of calling a run damn near everytime on 1st down. I really became frustrated when Chicago was loading up for the 1st down run yet Raye would not pass instead Gore got 2 yard with 9 in the box.

thank you...

That is one of the reasons he's horrible. Like he can't call an audible? Raye is as predictable as the sun rises and sets everyday. Everyone at home could see the defense stack the box why not change the play to a pass? Granted I think he's the best QB on this team so we have to play him but I've never seen so many fans make excuses for one guy before
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Because the guy sucks at improvising. I don't think Alex has a high ceiling. Yeah, he's a smart guy and yes he's got a decent arm, but when his plays don't develop the way they should, Alex can't pull magic out of his ass like Joe, Steve, and at times Jeffy could.

Another opinion shaped by the game's commentators?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal81:
Alex play was ok tonight, however was very frustrated with Raye play calling who again fell into his own trap of calling a run damn near everytime on 1st down. I really became frustrated when Chicago was loading up for the 1st down run yet Raye would not pass instead Gore got 2 yard with 9 in the box.

thank you...

That is one of the reasons he's horrible. Like he can't call an audible? Raye is as predictable as the sun rises and sets everyday. Everyone at home could see the defense stack the box why not change the play to a pass? Granted I think he's the best QB on this team so we have to play him but I've never seen so many fans make excuses for one guy before

Right. All QBs should be like Peyton Manning, especially young ones.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Still holds onto to the ball to long and I know he has a crappy O-Line but that should make him get rid of the ball that much quicker. He started the game of good and then threw an INT and went into his typical funk when he struggles.

"Mental toughness" does Alex Smith have "it"?

What was he... 6-8 for 70 yards at one point?
Our o-line:

Any questions?
From day 1, Alex was told "dont make a mistake" above anything else....let our defense win....i think he will be fine as we show that we will let him air it out a bit and he doesnt have to be worried that any bad throw will get him bashed on endlessly.... takes time to get a rhythm....
Originally posted by Pogity:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Because the guy sucks at improvising. I don't think Alex has a high ceiling. Yeah, he's a smart guy and yes he's got a decent arm, but when his plays don't develop the way they should, Alex can't pull magic out of his ass like Joe, Steve, and at times Jeffy could.

Another opinion shaped by the game's commentators?

Alex sure proved otherwise didn't he?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
He didn't do anything spectacular or awful. The pick was not good obviously but whatever. He made up for it in the 4th qtr. He made some plays when he looked like he was dead in the water (see the shovel passes etc). I thought he did ok.

He is still better than he was in 2006 as far as getting rid of the ball etc. I didn't see too much hesitation or locking on to one guy etc.

Honestly the biggest problem is the offense is never allowed to get in any kind of rhythm. When we begin to then the play calling and philosophy suddenly changes. Alex clearly is not successful we spread things out. This is definite. We are not getting sht out of him if we just play a I formation 2 back set then pass on 3rd and long. Alex just isn't that QB. Never was never will be. Spread it out. Play out of the shot gun more and keep a good mix of run and pass. If you wanna bunch everyone up for a PA pass that's cool. Bottom line is Alex is NOT a "traditional offense" kinda guy.

A-f**king-Greed. f**k PASSING OUT OF THE IFORM. JEESUS CHRIST
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Still holds onto to the ball to long and I know he has a crappy O-Line but that should make him get rid of the ball that much quicker. He started the game of good and then threw an INT and went into his typical funk when he struggles.

"Mental toughness" does Alex Smith have "it"?

What was he... 6-8 for 70 yards at one point?

Yeah he started of great but then threw an INT and never looked right after that.

Am I the only one who thought it was under thrown?
Originally posted by B650:

thank you...

4 years in the league. If he doesn't have it by now he'll never have it
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Anybody who doesn't blame Alex on that INT is a fool. He underthrew it and it had way too much air under it.

Why is everyone so afraid to blame Alex when he f**ks up?

Too funny. Which was it? Underthrown or OVERTHROWN? Are you like covering your bases with that statement or do you really not understand what you just said?

Nobody is "afraid" of blaming Alex. But 1 pick is nothing. Solid Veteran Starting QBs' have AVERAGED that and gone to the HoF. Not that Smith is comparable to them.

Btw the other day I was digging through my closet cleaning out the old stuff that I don't use. Well I found my Batphone and was wondering if you would like to have it. It's really useful when you need to let the Coaching staff know what they are doing wrong and which players need to be benched or let go.

~Ceadder
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:

thank you...

4 years in the league. If he doesn't have it by now he'll never have it

How many of those years was he actually playing? Don't just throw out useless information. Try to go further and actually analyze the situation. I doubt he's going to get it all by sitting on the bench, doing nothing. Even if he did pick up something while on the bench, the team goes out and gets a new OC every year so he has to start from scratch.
the pass was underthrown, and it should've been. Crabtree was BEHIND the defender and it still got picked off. Crabs shoulda done more.
Share 49ersWebzone