There are 145 users in the forums

Consensus: 2/3 of Smith's Picks were not his Fault

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
how about you guys compare Smiths offensive line and OC to all the league leading QB's your comparing his 2.5 games to? this is ridiculous. he moves the offense and he puts up points, INT's happen, 3 of those were the receivers fault and one was a desperation end of the game throw against the texans on 4th and 10 with time running out. EVERY QB throws more INT's in that situation than TD's. its a low percentage throw. this guy cant do anything to please you people. we look like a real NFL team with him under center, the whole team looks better with him back there. get off it

Rodgers has the worst offensive line in the league and is light years better than Smith. Stop saying the INTs weren't his fault.

Why is it so hard to people to comprehend that late and inaccurate throws are going to be deflected? That's how interceptions happen.

Kinda like Alex did...I thought that was an "Alexcuse..?"

Wait...

Ohhhhh I get it.

What in the hell are you talking about? I'm not making an excuse for Rodgers--he doesn't need one. He has 16 TDs, 2255 yards, and a 103.3 QB Rating DESPITE the sorry offensive line he's playing with. Moreover, his team is a lot better than ours because of him.

What exactly are you trying to say here?

I think you need to spend a little more time thinking about what you've just read instead of searching for photos on google images.
Blah blah blah...who cares. There is a game tomorrow night people. Let's move on!

And don't try to compare Rodgers and Smith, their situations are/were completely different from day 1.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Thaay juzt say taht dood. Smyth iz teh busty leef.

Remember when last year, the INT's by JTO were all just part of his "Gunslinger mentality" ? .... ..

And people accepted that for 8 games. Alex has started 2 with this being the only game he's thrown more INT's than TDs. Of the three he's played in, this was the first time he's thrown more than one interception.

Even the best QB's in the game have games like this. Frick man, Warner had 5 INT's and a fumble lost against the Panthers... Rodgers had two against the Bucs. Cutler had three against the Bengals. Garrard threw two and zero touchdowns against the Titans. Schaub threw two against Buffalo. Manning threw three against Arizona.

Get off his back over one game. If he keeps doing this, jump back on. I'll join.

Come on now...

Warner averages 281 yards per game with 16 TD's so far and only 11 INT's. All the guys listed have much better stats than Alex. Look at the numbers:

Rodgers averages 281 yards with 16 TD's and 5 INT's.
Cutler averages 255 yards with 14 TD's and 12 INT's.
Schaub averages 294 yards with 17 TD's and 9 INT's.
Do I even need to mentioned Manning's 318 yard average with 16 TD's and 5 INT's.

Hell, even Gerard (who has the same 5 Int's and around 230 yards a game) threw his across 266 attempts (8 games) instead of the 99 attempts (2.5 games) from Alex.

Look, I want Alex to do good just as much as the next guy; but, the guys you mentioned are clearly playing at a higher level than Alex is right now. I'd be ok with Alex having a so called bad day if he was getting 250 - 300 yard games consistently.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. He's only played in TWO and a half games. There's no way to "spread out" those interception numbers, nor is there any way Smith could have matched their touchdown numbers is such a short span.

Come on now, that couldn't be more clear. Heck, if you double Smith's games to 5 and TD-INT numbers, making it 12-10 -- same ratio, but more comparable to Cutler, he still has a better TD-INT ratio. Comparing such small yardage differences is exceptionally nitpicky, I feel, to say the least.

It's still early, and with only two starts, I still can't tell exactly where Alex is at -- it took us 5.5 games to see Hill. Over the next two games, it'll become much more clear.

Like I said, if he keeps having games like that, jump back on his back, and I will too.

I agree 2.5 games is not enough of a sample size to say how this kid operates; but, we have seen him make the same mistakes back in 2007, 2006, and 2005. I think we should stick with him for now; but, if he continues playing like crap, lets see what the rook can do.

Also, you know we can't just double his current stats and compare them to Cutler's. This would be like saying Hill won 5 of his last 8 so if he started every game this season we would finish 10-6 (because we take his last 8 and double that)... It just doesn't work that way.

I'm not sure you got the point -- Small sample size. That's it. Even if you don't double his stats, the ratio is the same, and it's better than Cutler. That's all I'm saying.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Blah blah blah...who cares. There is a game tomorrow night people. Let's move on!

And don't try to compare Rodgers and Smith, their situations are/were completely different from day 1.

I'm not comparing them, I was merely pointing out that not all good QBs have great offensive lines.

However, it is TOTALLY FAIR to compare them. They came out the same year and were considered similar prospects. Sure you can say that Rodgers had a better upbringing because he's been successful. I'll argue that he's just always been the better QB since day 1.

Remember when last year, the INT's by JTO were all just part of his "Gunslinger mentality" ? .... ..

And people accepted that for 8 games. Alex has started 2 with this being the only game he's thrown more INT's than TDs. Of the three he's played in, this was the first time he's thrown more than one interception.

Even the best QB's in the game have games like this. Frick man, Warner had 5 INT's and a fumble lost against the Panthers... Rodgers had two against the Bucs. Cutler had three against the Bengals. Garrard threw two and zero touchdowns against the Titans. Schaub threw two against Buffalo. Manning threw three against Arizona.

Get off his back over one game. If he keeps doing this, jump back on. I'll join.

Come on now...

Warner averages 281 yards per game with 16 TD's so far and only 11 INT's. All the guys listed have much better stats than Alex. Look at the numbers:

Do I even need to mentioned Manning's 318 yard average with 16 TD's and 5 INT's.

Hell, even Gerard (who has the same 5 Int's and around 230 yards a game) threw his across 266 attempts (8 games) instead of the 99 attempts (2.5 games) from Alex.

Look, I want Alex to do good just as much as the next guy; but, the guys you mentioned are clearly playing at a higher level than Alex is right now. I'd be ok with Alex having a so called bad day if he was getting 250 - 300 yard games consistently.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. He's only played in TWO and a half games. There's no way to "spread out" those interception numbers, nor is there any way Smith could have matched their touchdown numbers is such a short span.

Come on now, that couldn't be more clear. Heck, if you double Smith's games to 5 and TD-INT numbers, making it 12-10 -- same ratio, but more comparable to Cutler, he still has a better TD-INT ratio. Comparing such small yardage differences is exceptionally nitpicky, I feel, to say the least.

It's still early, and with only two starts, I still can't tell exactly where Alex is at -- it took us 5.5 games to see Hill. Over the next two games, it'll become much more clear.

Like I said, if he keeps having games like that, jump back on his back, and I will too.

I agree 2.5 games is not enough of a sample size to say how this kid operates; but, we have seen him make the same mistakes back in 2007, 2006, and 2005. I think we should stick with him for now; but, if he continues playing like crap, lets see what the rook can do.

Also, you know we can't just double his current stats and compare them to Cutler's. This would be like saying Hill won 5 of his last 8 so if he started every game this season we would finish 10-6 (because we take his last 8 and double that)... It just doesn't work that way.

I'm not sure you got the point -- Small sample size. That's it. Even if you don't double his stats, the ratio is the same, and it's better than Cutler. That's all I'm saying.

I get what you're saying; but, you cannot just double his numbers off of 2.5 games and assume that will be his performance going forward. I know you get it cause even you say that the sample size is too small. This is just like the guys claiming he was 6th in the league based off 1.5 games. Now, how did that work out with one more game added on? I think he's like 23 or 24 now...

Come on now...

I get what you're saying; but, you cannot just double his numbers off of 2.5 games and assume that will be his performance going forward. I know you get it cause even you say that the sample size is too small. This is just like the guys claiming he was 6th in the league based off 1.5 games. Now, how did that work out with one more game added on? I think he's like 23 or 24 now...

Obviously, we both understand you can't accurately evaluate someone based on 2.5 games this season.

I'm not trying to make predictions for Smith. I'm just making an "If-then" statement. "If" he keeps that ratio or improves it, then it'll be better than Cutler's current one if Cutler's ratio stays the same or gets any worse. I know that as it stands, it's slightly better.. and that while this is currently true, the stat doesn't hold much weight because of the small sample size.
Comparing total yardage, TD and INT numbers is probably not the best way to compare two QBs - especially when you have to extrapolate performance (like Smith) in order to make a fair comparison.

The reason why you can't compare yardage numbers is because some teams throw more often than others.

The better indicators of QB performance when comparing two QBs who have played different lengths of time are yards/completion and QB rating.

2009 comparison:

Cutler:
83.8 QB rating
7.2 yards/completion

Smith:
83.3 QB rating
7 yards/completion

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 11, 2009 at 14:49:32 ]

I'm not comparing them, I was merely pointing out that not all good QBs have great offensive lines.

However, it is TOTALLY FAIR to compare them. They came out the same year and were considered similar prospects. Sure you can say that Rodgers had a better upbringing because he's been successful. I'll argue that he's just always been the better QB since day 1.

Sure, it's easy to say NOW that he's always been better. But we KNOW he had a better upbringing, we don't KNOW that he would be good had their fates been reversed.

Sure, it's easy to say NOW that he's always been better. But we KNOW he had a better upbringing, we don't KNOW that he would be good had their fates been reversed.

Lets give no credit to the QB himself. It's all about everything AROUND a QB. Every QB that's drafted is EQUAL when they get to the NFL. It's all about how well he's parented.

Lets give no credit to the QB himself. It's all about everything AROUND a QB. Every QB that's drafted is EQUAL when they get to the NFL. It's all about how well he's parented.

I never said anything about Rodgers not being talented. But I'm just going by what I know, not by what I think I know. I can say that Alex would be leading the league in passer rating and Rodgers being called a bust had they swapped draft positions, but I don't, because I don't know that. It's easy to say "I told ya so" after the fact.

I never said anything about Rodgers not being talented. But I'm just going by what I know, not by what I think I know. I can say that Alex would be leading the league in passer rating and Rodgers being called a bust had they swapped draft positions, but I don't, because I don't know that. It's easy to say "I told ya so" after the fact.

Of course at the time we didn't know who was better. But I don't think you can watch Smith and Rodgers play (even RIGHT NOW) and think that the difference is solely based on how they were "brought up." One QB is light years ahead of the other. I'm gonna go ahead and jump to the conclusion that one QB was better suited for the NFL than the other.

Of course at the time we didn't know who was better. But I don't think you can watch Smith and Rodgers play (even RIGHT NOW) and think that the difference is solely based on how they were "brought up." One QB is light years ahead of the other. I'm gonna go ahead and jump to the conclusion that one QB was better suited for the NFL than the other.

Jump away. I just chose not to.
how about you guys compare Smiths offensive line and OC to all the league leading QB's your comparing his 2.5 games to? this is ridiculous. he moves the offense and he puts up points, INT's happen, 3 of those were the receivers fault and one was a desperation end of the game throw against the texans on 4th and 10 with time running out. EVERY QB throws more INT's in that situation than TD's. its a low percentage throw. this guy cant do anything to please you people. we look like a real NFL team with him under center, the whole team looks better with him back there. get off it

Rodgers has the worst offensive line in the league and is light years better than Smith. Stop saying the INTs weren't his fault.

Why is it so hard to people to comprehend that late and inaccurate throws are going to be deflected? That's how interceptions happen.

Wait...

Ohhhhh I get it.

What in the hell are you talking about? I'm not making an excuse for Rodgers--he doesn't need one. He has 16 TDs, 2255 yards, and a 103.3 QB Rating DESPITE the sorry offensive line he's playing with. Moreover, his team is a lot better than ours because of him.

I think you need to spend a little more time thinking about what you've just read instead of searching for photos on google images.

My post wasnt directed @ you. I was making a general point about QBs and o-lines. Smith and Rodgers had fairly the same stats last week. And yes I agree, Rodgers is light years ahead of Smith. But you really cant compare? So what the hell are YOU talking about?

At least compare apples to apples. Now if you want to compare their development and how its affected their play NOW..then fine.

And by the way, Rodgers didnt always have a "sorry" offensive line. Smith been running his whole career (a whopping 34 games). Thats the reason for indecisiveness, late throws, etc.

I'll keep looking up google images while you learn how to properly compare players and their situations.

Wait...

Ohhhhh I get it.

My post wasnt directed @ you. I was making a general point about QBs and o-lines. Smith and Rodgers had fairly the same stats last week. And yes I agree, Rodgers is light years ahead of Smith. But you really cant compare? So what the hell are YOU talking about?

At least compare apples to apples. Now if you want to compare their development and how its affected their play NOW..then fine.

And by the way, Rodgers didnt always have a "sorry" offensive line. Smith been running his whole career (a whopping 34 games). Thats the reason for indecisiveness, late throws, etc.

I'll keep looking up google images while you learn how to properly compare players and their situations.

Go back in the thread. You'll see that the point of bringing up Rodgers was to show that he's successful despite his line. That's where YOU stepped in with your "double standard" s**t. I was merely pointing out that all good QBs don't have great offensive lines in response to hondakiller. I still don't understand what you were trying to say. You're implying that Rodgers has an "excuse" for his play. I think that only weakens your argument for Smith because despite how bad Rodgers' line has been, he's still posting a 103 QB rating. Of course we can't compare Smith and Rodgers though, since that's blasphemy. I mean, hell, they were only drafted in the same year and thought of as top prospects coming into the NFL.

In any case, I find it laughable that you think Smith had a bad offensive line in 2006. That offensive line was good at both pass blocking and run blocking. I also find it ridiculous that you continue to blame all of Smith's deficiencies on people around him. The 3rd thing I find insane is how you think that Rodgers' success is based on the fact that "at one point" he had a great line. LOL, how far are you going to reach? Isn't it clear that not all QBs are created equal when they get to the NFL?

Why the hell is it so hard to come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, Alex Smith isn't that good? Stop looking at everything around him for once.

Like I said earlier, I like Smith as our starting QB right now and I think he's improved. But really, some of you homers need to take the blinders off.
Quote:
Go back in the thread. You'll see that the point of bringing up Rodgers was to show that he's successful despite his line. That's where YOU stepped in with your "double standard" s**t.

Ok my bad I must have misunderstood. With all the bullsht comparisons that go on its easy to misunderstand.

Quote:
I was merely pointing out that all good QBs don't have great offensive lines in response to hondakiller. I still don't understand what you were trying to say. You're implying that Rodgers has an "excuse" for his play.

*Yes, as in an excuse for last Sunday. Not his career or year. Had Alex been in Rodgers situation, I'm sure he could find ways to compensate for bad o-line play the way Rodgers has. I wanted to draft Rodgers but we didnt. We drafted Alex. Luckily Meyer told us how to develop Alex. Of course this team chose to ignore that.

Quote:
I think that only weakens your argument for Smith because despite how bad Rodgers' line has been, he's still posting a 103 QB rating.

Fair enough. Again though, if you cant see that they were developed differently thus having an effect on their success...I really dont know what to tell you.

Quote:
Of course we can't compare Smith and Rodgers though, since that's blasphemy. I mean, hell, they were only drafted in the same year and thought of as top prospects coming into the NFL.

*Pretty much where the similarities end. If you can say with a straight face that Rodgers succeeds in SF after going through everything Smith has...I dont know what to tell you. I think even Aaron Rodgers would agree with me. Im sure he counts his blessings every day.

Quote:
In any case, I find it laughable that you think Smith had a bad offensive line in 2006.

*It wasnt that bad. Thats when he showed the most improvement. But compared to other elite O-lines...its not that great. In GENERAL, his o-line has been below average. Thats not an excuse, thats a fact. I agree Alex had deficiencies though. Where did I say he didnt?

Quote:
That offensive line was good at both pass blocking and run blocking. I also find it ridiculous that you continue to blame all of Smith's deficiencies on people around him.

*Run blocking was good yes. Pass blocking was OKAY. And I never blame ALL of Smiths deficiencies on people around him. Ive been one of the more level headed posters on here and I think I'm pretty fair in my criticisms and praise. Unlike some, I didnt go from Smith to Hill to JTO then back to Hill, then back to Smith, then now to Davis, etc etc. Ive pretty much maintained, Smith should be the guy, and if he proves to be the long term answer then it saves this team a LOT of head ache. And Smiths deficiencies are because of him and our mishandling. How do you not see that? Dont you like to quote Urban Meyer? I mean we make this 50 million dollar investment and the guy who coached Smith told us EXACTLY what TO and NOT TO do with Smith. We fvcked up. Bottom line. So Alex's deficiencies are only going to be even MORE pronounced.

Quote:
The 3rd thing I find insane is how you think that Rodgers' success is based on the fact that "at one point" he had a great line. LOL, how far are you going to reach? Isn't it clear that not all QBs are created equal when they get to the NFL?

*I never said I think Rodger's success was based on the fact that he had a great line once. Stop putting words in my mouth. How far are you going to reach? And how much are you going to ignore the circumstances surrounding both QBs when the got drafted by their teams in 05. Again, do you honestly believe that Rodgers would have had the same success if he was put in Smiths situation? I doubt it. You may disagree and thats fine. I just find that "insane."

Quote:
Why the hell is it so hard to come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, Alex Smith isn't that good? Stop looking at everything around him for once.

*I never said Alex was a great QB. Ive maintained that he had a bad game. In fact I think I was one of the few Alex supporters that said, it really doesnt matter who's fault the INTs were...the bottom line is that they happened. And "why the hell is it so hard to come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe," if we brought Smith along the same was as Rodgers, he might be finding the same degree of success as Rodgers?

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I like Smith as our starting QB right now and I think he's improved. But really, some of you homers need to take the blinders off.

*And some of you "realists" need to start looking at things more "realistically."
Share 49ersWebzone