LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

Take advantage of the leauge rules!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • titan
  • Veteran
I love the idea of a power running team, but we just don't have a powerful O-line. I also understand that Coach Singletary is old school, but even teams that are built for power running are now taking advantage of all the benefits a WR has against a DB. I don't know If my observations are correct, but it seems like pass interferance plays always bails out offense all the time. Reievers have so much advantage over a DB that even young recievers are having pretty good sucess. Hopefully we can take advantage of that rule.
We need Jimmy Raye to take advantage & call some deep passes for this offense to try & change field position.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
We need Jimmy Raye to take advantage & call some deep passes for this offense to try & change field position.

I sure hope so! It's too painful to watch our running game.
  • ptinerocket
  • Info N/A
Man if only there is a rushing interference........
Originally posted by tohara3:

Jimmy Raye has been insistent upon the team playing his offensive scheme even though it doesn't fit the strengths of the team. This needs to change. One of the things that I have been encouraged by with Sing is that he's been pragmatic and he has made changes when everything else hasn't been working. I know he's getting heat about opening it up, so maybe now he'll get Raye to make the changes the offense needs for them to have success.
Originally posted by titan:
I love the idea of a power running team, but we just don't have a powerful O-line. I also understand that Coach Singletary is old school, but even teams that are built for power running are now taking advantage of all the benefits a WR has against a DB. I don't know If my observations are correct, but it seems like pass interferance plays always bails out offense all the time. Reievers have so much advantage over a DB that even young recievers are having pretty good sucess. Hopefully we can take advantage of that rule.

Makes sense to me. Our DB's have been on the s**ty end of the stick enough to prove your point......... I don't care how we get to the end/red zone. Let it fly Alex!!!
We need to GET a powerful Oline... Then we can do whatever the heck we want
  • hcniner64
  • Info N/A
I know this is kind of unrelated, but I completely understand most people's frustration with singletary and the running game and how they feel it hinders our offensive ability. however just look at the last game for instance. Besides that big run from frank gore we had little to no success running the ball, yet a lot of big plays in the passing game came off of play action. Hence the DB's respected the run enough to bite on the fake. I think one of the main problems is lack of diversity in the run game. I still believe we can have a successfull run game even with this o line. We just need to mix in more counters, screens, draws, and stretch plays. Someone else pointed this out in another thread and I agree with it i feel like we run an inside dive play way too often. Now I do not have a problem with the dive but when you mix in the dive with a more diverse run game the overall effect is much much more succesfull. Thoughts?

[ Edited by hcniner64 on Nov 5, 2009 at 10:01:45 ]

I'm not sure I understand your proposition, but I'll do my best to respond.

You want the team to throw more down field, thus improving the chances of a defender interfering with the receiver?

How many times a game do you think the team should do this? What sort of guarantee do you have that a defender will interfere? You do realize the chances of completing a pass reduce significantly with a offensive line that can't block for a seven step drop, not to mention the interception opportunity for the other team.

This is really a prime example of why fans are fans and coaches are coaches.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redrathman:

I'm not sure I understand your proposition, but I'll do my best to respond.

You want the team to throw more down field, thus improving the chances of a defender interfering with the receiver?

How many times a game do you think the team should do this? What sort of guarantee do you have that a defender will interfere? You do realize the chances of completing a pass reduce significantly with a offensive line that can't block for a seven step drop, not to mention the interception opportunity for the other team.

This is really a prime example of why fans are fans and coaches are coaches.

I'll give you a stat Gore broke 1 big run! That's it! other than that it was 3 and out! Best movement we've had was Alex Smith throwing to receivers. If Gore doesn't break big runs we don't move. Who said I was calling for pass interferance? all I said was rules are more lenient towards the WR and when it's 3rd and long or 2nd short throw the football! especially on 3rd downs DB are under a microscope during that situation and are more hesitant to interfere. If you know that the running game is not happening, then why keep doing it! If you know the O-line can't block a 7 step drop, then why do a 7 step drop? There are other quick passes and shotgun formation a QB can do other than 7 step drop, not to mention while handing off the football or during the actual run, a player can drop or fumble giving opprtunity for the other team.
This is really a prime example of why common sense isn't too common.

Originally posted by hcniner64:
I know this is kind of unrelated, but I completely understand most people's frustration with singletary and the running game and how they feel it hinders our offensive ability. however just look at the last game for instance. Besides that big run from frank gore we had little to no success running the ball, yet a lot of big plays in the passing game came off of play action. Hence the DB's respected the run enough to bite on the fake. I think one of the main problems is lack of diversity in the run game. I still believe we can have a successfull run game even with this o line. We just need to mix in more counters, screens, draws, and stretch plays. Someone else pointed this out in another thread and I agree with it i feel like we run an inside dive play way too often. Now I do not have a problem with the dive but when you mix in the dive with a more diverse run game the overall effect is much much more succesfull. Thoughts?

Makes sense and we should definitely try this approach before giving up entirely on our run game. I'm surprised we haven't yet! A balanced attack is always better than a run only or pass only, as some would suggest. You have to keep the D honest so they can't stack against a specific attack. However, I think we should pass to set up the run, since no one respects our run game anyway.
Kinda sad when we have to rely on penalties to try and win games
Originally posted by ptinerocket:
Man if only there is a rushing interference........

funniest post ever
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by hcniner64:

Makes sense and we should definitely try this approach before giving up entirely on our run game. I'm surprised we haven't yet! A balanced attack is always better than a run only or pass only, as some would suggest. You have to keep the D honest so they can't stack against a specific attack. However, I think we should pass to set up the run, since no one respects our run game anyway.

If they didn't respect our run game, they wouldn't stack the box like they do.
Good post, needed to be said. I think everyone assumed you wanted to play long ball just to get interference calls. That is just one benefit. I have noticed in so many games this year, that the teams with big passing games put the ball up for their talented receivers to make plays even if they don't appear to be open. Brees, Rivers, Manning, Favre, Warner etal know that their receivers have a huge advantage over DB's because they know where the ball is in the air. They can come back to it, jump or leap for it, run a fade, adjust their routes or invite an interference call. Worst case, a 40 yard pass that is intercepted is almost as good as a punt giving up little field position. It all serves notice that we are not afraid to air it out, keeping them back where they belong. So many fans freak out about occasional interceptions, they're part of the game. That is why we have a defense. Much better than giving up an interception off a deflection on a five yard route.
Share 49ersWebzone