There are 208 users in the forums

Not a running team.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This really is the bottom line folks.. We've been trying to fit square pegs into round holes for years now.. We finally got the Defense to fit our scheme but the offense is badly mismanaged...

Why don't we play to Alex Smiths strengths?? He looks the most comfortable and most confident in the Shotgun spread look. We ran it at the end of the first half and scored....... We ran it the entire second half of the Texans game and scored 3 times.. Is there something I don't understand here??

I'm not football genius but I do understand that if you play to your teams strengths your more likely to win... Just my take.. Oh yea.. Big ups to Barry Sims!!! Dude balled his @ss off today!
Originally posted by jays9ers:
This really is the bottom line folks.. We've been trying to fit square pegs into round holes for years now.. We finally got the Defense to fit our scheme but the offense is badly mismanaged...

Why don't we play to Alex Smiths strengths?? He looks the most comfortable and most confident in the Shotgun spread look. We ran it at the end of the first half and scored....... We ran it the entire second half of the Texans game and scored 3 times.. Is there something I don't understand here??

I'm not football genius but I do understand that if you play to your teams strengths your more likely to win... Just my take.. Oh yea.. Big ups to Barry Sims!!! Dude balled his @ss off today!

Agree on Sims.

Free Alex (again)!
This is not a line up in the I formation and run the ball down their throat team. When they do that they go nowhere. The only time the 49ers ever move the ball is when they commit to the pass.

How much longer is Raye and Singletary going to believe this run first crap? Put Alex in the Shotgun and let him get the ball to VD and Crabtree.
Alex seems to be MUCH more effective in the spread, I wouldn't mind seeing a lot more of that in coming weeks. Maybe throw in some Gore runs from that formation, didn't see them try that today either.
  • B650
  • Veteran
We can run the ball, but we aren't calling the right plays to do so.
I just don't get it... If the spread look is working then why not run it??
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
This is not a line up in the I formation and run the ball down their throat team. When they do that they go nowhere. The only time the 49ers ever move the ball is when they commit to the pass.

How much longer is Raye and Singletary going to believe this run first crap? Put Alex in the Shotgun and let him get the ball to VD and Crabtree.

Good point on Sims.

The Niners team strength did not become apparent until the second half of last week and the last drive of the first half. I hope they finally commit to them next week from the beginning.
I'd like to see more straight up run plays... draws are ok, but come on.
It's beyond stupid. Our yards per run are terrible, but because Gore can break out one every once in a while, it helps to mask it a little bit.

We have a boom or bust running game that consists mostly of busts.

Plus, I've hardly see any sweeps. We always run inside.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I just don't get it... If the spread look is working then why not run it??

Or even RUN out of it? Just because you run a spread offense doesn't mean you don't run the ball. Formations can place pressure on defenses but the threat has to be there - and not just when they know you're going to pass on 3rd and 52.

Exactly... That's what the Colts do. They run it out of numerous different spread looks.. Singletary is cut from that hard head Nolan Mold....
  • 49Wild
  • Info N/A
Right to the point...Your right we are not a power running team at all. We are more of a spread offense. Can anybody say Run and shoot......
i think he needs to reevaluate his offensive philosophy.
One of the key phrases that Sing keeps saying is ... "gives us the best chance to win." Well, it sure looks to me that turning Alex Smith loose in the spread gives us the best chance to win. Maybe I'm missing something too, but count me with the group that wants to see more of the spread offense and opening it up more.

And hey, I've got to give props to Barry Sims too. He played a real good game.
Share 49ersWebzone